PDA

View Full Version : Good Stock sounding exhaust

pacmannproductions
10-18-2012, 01:43 AM
I wanna get an exhaust for my 89 lxi, but don't know what to get. I want something that pretty much sounds stock tho. Just a smooth quiet muffler, no ricey raspy shit. Already have a nice deep sounding one on there, but I want something that almost looks stock and not all fat and not expensive. Something like the link I posted below. Any ideas anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Catback-02-04-Acura-RSX-Type-S-Stainless-Steel-3-/390482400773?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=14&meid=2824615141836835942&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=390482400773&

And Something clean and smooth sounding like this. Obviously my cars not and infiniti so it wont sound like it, but how it's nice and smooth with the stock sound, just cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gO_Gp21gy-c

2oodoor
10-18-2012, 10:10 AM
I would look at the oem sei dual outlet mufflers, good flow and quiet.

pacmannproductions
10-18-2012, 10:31 AM
I would look at the oem sei dual outlet mufflers, good flow and quiet.

Dual outlet? You would say they sound like what I described im looking for? Almost stock sounding?

stat1K
10-18-2012, 11:35 AM
i've found with the accord that the rasp usually comes from the resonator. I would get a nice 2.25 system built and have them put a nice rounded resonator and a real muffler in place. you should be pretty happy with the results as the 2.0 has a little deeper tone than say a 1.5 or 1.6l 4cyl

POS carb
10-18-2012, 12:17 PM
I went through 3 Bosal SEi mufflers, they all started rattling after 1 year, piece of crap

I'm running a Summit Racing turbo muffler right now, paid about $35 for it
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-638221/
I hooked it up to the Pacesetter catback pipe. Sounds decent, no fart or rasp sound.
It's louder than stock but not annoying. Great buy for $35
Running full exhaust headers, high-flow cat, and 2.25" pipe all the way

DBMaster
10-18-2012, 02:28 PM
As I recall, the dual outlet mufflers on the SEi's have tiny pipes with chrome covers. Overall, they probably "flow" no better than the LXi's single outlet muffler. At one point in my car's history I had a two chamber turbo muffler on it rather than the three chamber OEM type. I eventually became annoyed with the sound even though it was not really loud. Going back to the OEM type did not seem to affect HP or fuel economy. There aren't too many things that annoy me more than a four cylinder engine exhausted so it sounds like something one should be using for yard work, or to cut down trees. I will never understand the attraction of drawing attention to oneself that way.

import racer
10-18-2012, 02:49 PM
I always liked the turbo mufflers,not too expensive and not too loud.

2oodoor
10-18-2012, 03:14 PM
This is good to know, I was under the impression the dual outlet was a factory performance piece. I was going to try one since this 2.25 in 2.50 out oem peice Im using is getting rattley. I have 2.25 from the headr to a 24 in glasspack "resonator?" thn 2.25 to that muffler. Its queit insde and out but if u are beside it the sound is like a chunky rasp but didnt start out that way.

I may take a cordless sawsall to the pick a part and look in the GM or ford section for a hi dollar queit performance muffler with 2.5 od.

gfrg88
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Flowmaster muffler used as "mid-muffler", resonator, to another resonated muffler out back. Would sound really good, and still be pretty free flowing...

gfrg88
10-18-2012, 03:32 PM
As I recall, the dual outlet mufflers on the SEi's have tiny pipes with chrome covers. Overall, they probably "flow" no better than the LXi's single outlet muffler. At one point in my car's history I had a two chamber turbo muffler on it rather than the three chamber OEM type. I eventually became annoyed with the sound even though it was not really loud. Going back to the OEM type did not seem to affect HP or fuel economy. There aren't too many things that annoy me more than a four cylinder engine exhausted so it sounds like something one should be using for yard work, or to cut down trees. I will never understand the attraction of drawing attention to oneself that way.

That's where a turbo and 3.5 exhaust comes in!!! :D

charliekuney
10-21-2012, 08:46 AM
As I recall, the dual outlet mufflers on the SEi's have tiny pipes with chrome covers. Overall, they probably "flow" no better than the LXi's single outlet muffler.

From a Japanese manufacturer in the 80's I'd assume the exhaust was identical other than the dual outlets. Both single and dual came with the chrome covers, though. :) At least LX-i's and SE-i's.