PDA

View Full Version : low beam out 88 accord, stumped

ping
10-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Hi Y'all,
Got pulled over by a trouper last night due to the driver side headlight out-just a warning this time. After replacing the lamp and checking the fuses it still does not come on. Curiously as it turns out the high beams work. Put the meter on the plug and there was no power to the low beam. Took the rubber housing off the plug and the connections look good. Does not seem to be the plug. Wires seem in good condition.

The car has only 110k on it.

Do have the original repair manual with wiring diagrams not that I can glean a whole lot from them.

Have no idea what to try next.

Ideas?

Vanilla Sky
10-20-2012, 11:23 AM
It's probably a dirty combination switch. There's a how to that shows the repair steps in the how to section.

ping
10-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Damn that was fast vanilla sky, Ill check it out.
thanks

Vanilla Sky
10-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Do you have a multimeter? I'd probe the harness first. To me, it's easier to troubleshoot toward the switch, because it could be any number of things.

ping
10-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Vanilla Sky, I do have a basic multimeter-but not well versed in its use. "probe the harness"?
Any information you have time for is appreciated. Thanks

Rendon LX-i
10-20-2012, 12:42 PM
prob as in "back prob" - placing a pin behind the connector to check circuit current. if you have no current check your combo switch and your grounds. contacts could be gone in your switch or your ground is crap.

Civic Accord Honda
10-20-2012, 01:32 PM
yeah headlight switch most likely...but yeah what vanilla is saying is to trace the wire the next connecter (most hondas there up by the firewall) and check the headlight wire for power there. just match the colours up from the bulb socket so you know which wire to test up there.

2oodoor
10-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Another thing, ive had two of these cars with broken wires behind the headlight, both were low beam wire.

Legend_master
10-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Another thing, ive had two of these cars with broken wires behind the headlight, both were low beam wire.

That's what I was going to suggest, I had the exact same problem.

here is the thread (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77604)

lostforawhile
10-21-2012, 01:08 PM
if one works it's not the switch, check the fuses, remember there is one fuse for each low and high beam filament, if the old bulb failed it might have blown the fuse. it's very possible that the wires broke inside the split loom behind the light, remember the lights have gone up and down thousands of times, go to the yard pull a plug off of anything with a sealed beam headlight and splice it in after where the wires bend, it's a unique issue to cars with flip up lamps

ping
10-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Looks like 2oodoor hit the target first.

After fussing with the switch and the fuses and the plug at the lamp I finnaly examined the wire from the light and sure enough someone at some point had cut he wire to the low beams and spiced it back together poorly and the wire was not connected.

Thank you so much.

And thank you to 3geezs!

Civic Accord Honda
10-23-2012, 08:03 PM
dont forget to thank 3geezus! he looks over our 3geez in our times of need XD