PDA

View Full Version : EFI swap fuel line

Bassmastry101
10-21-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm in the middle of an EFI swap on my 88 DX, and really the only thing I'm missing is the fuel line. Instead of spending all day at the yard ripping another car apart, what is stopping me from using a steel braided hose with an AN type fitting? It would run through the firewall and back to the tank similar to the stock line. Does anyone know what the size is for fitting on the fuel filter? At the tank?

I was thinking something like this. Tell me what you think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-4AN-AN4-4-AN-45-DEGREE-SWIVEL-OIL-FUEL-LINE-HOSE-END-FITTING-ADAPTOR-/280925475180?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true#ht_4577wt_1397

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-BRAIDED-1500-PSI-CPE-AN4-4-AN-OIL-FUEL-GAS-LINE-HOSE-FOOT-FEET-/330770907356?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true#ht_4374wt_1397

stephensimmons
10-21-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm in the middle of an EFI swap on my 88 DX, and really the only thing I'm missing is the fuel line. Instead of spending all day at the yard ripping another car apart, what is stopping me from using a steel braided hose with an AN type fitting? It would run through the firewall and back to the tank similar to the stock line. Does anyone know what the size is for fitting on the fuel filter? At the tank?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALUMINUM-4AN-AN4-4-AN-45-DEGREE-SWIVEL-OIL-FUEL-LINE-HOSE-END-FITTING-ADAPTOR-/280925475180?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true#ht_4577wt_1397

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-BRAIDED-1500-PSI-CPE-AN4-4-AN-OIL-FUEL-GAS-LINE-HOSE-FOOT-FEET-/330770907356?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true#ht_4374wt_1397

Yes you can use those lines. Dont know the sizes but you should be able to take the fuel filter and pump with you to the parts store and they should be able to tell you what size you need.

Dr_Snooz
10-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Lostforawhile will be proud of you. :rofl:

POS carb
10-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Lostforawhile will be proud of you. :rofl:

thinking the same!

cygnus x-1
10-27-2012, 10:04 AM

You can most certainly do that, but there are some things to watch out for. When I converted my 2g Prelude to EFI I used the factory steel line as the return and ran a new high pressure line under the carpet. It works fine, but the inside of the car ends up smelling like fuel unless you leave the windows open all the time. The reason is that rubber fuel lines allow a small amount of fuel to permeate through to the outside. (google "30R7 fuel permeation" to see what I mean). The braided stuff is also kind of a pain to work with and is expensive. You can get teflon lined hose that cuts down most permeation but it's even more expensive.

Sometime over the winter I'm going to replace the braided high pressure hose I have, probably with steel hard line. It's far cheaper, has zero permeation, and is more resistant to mechanical damage and fire. Plus you can get fittings to adapt it to just about anything you want, including AN fittings. You have to deal with bending it but it's not that bad and you can get little hand benders for cheap. For the fittings you can either use flares (with a flaring tool) or use compression fittings if you don't like flares.

C|

Bassmastry101
10-31-2012, 08:48 AM
You can most certainly do that, but there are some things to watch out for. When I converted my 2g Prelude to EFI I used the factory steel line as the return and ran a new high pressure line under the carpet. It works fine, but the inside of the car ends up smelling like fuel unless you leave the windows open all the time. The reason is that rubber fuel lines allow a small amount of fuel to permeate through to the outside. (google "30R7 fuel permeation" to see what I mean). The braided stuff is also kind of a pain to work with and is expensive. You can get teflon lined hose that cuts down most permeation but it's even more expensive.

Sometime over the winter I'm going to replace the braided high pressure hose I have, probably with steel hard line. It's far cheaper, has zero permeation, and is more resistant to mechanical damage and fire. Plus you can get fittings to adapt it to just about anything you want, including AN fittings. You have to deal with bending it but it's not that bad and you can get little hand benders for cheap. For the fittings you can either use flares (with a flaring tool) or use compression fittings if you don't like flares.

C|

I talked to a guy at a local rod shop and he recommended a steel hard line for the majority, simply because of the permeation like you suggested and if the rubber ever cracks I would have a nice gas puddle. I already got the line and hardware, everything is flared and all of it is standard 3/8 hardware.

So here is what I got so far in my head. I'm going to use the stock line from the fuel rail to the filter. From the fuel filter I'm going to use a standard AN style banjo bolt to steel braided hose, run back to the firewall and then to a steel hard line running down the passenger side firewall (if it will fit behind the heater box) and between the seat/door jamb. Then through a hole at the rear seat hump and the hard line will end there (now outside the car). Then from hardline back to steel braided hose straight to the pump.

Does anyone have a pic of the pump connections? I haven't gotten an efi tank yet, but from what I've read it is needed so the pump wont run out of gas.

carotman
11-21-2012, 07:30 PM
It's best if you use a hard line. The fuel tank isn't 100% needed but the carb tank has no baffles inside since the carb bowl will act as a damper.