PDA

View Full Version : Suspension failure

Buzo
10-22-2012, 07:50 AM
I saw one poor guy this morning with his 3gee at one side of the road, with the drivers side front tire in a position like if it was turning left, and the other like if it was driving straight.

How can we prevent that to happen? It's clear it was the ball joint of the steering arm. I mean, if I had the money I would change everything underneath the car, but I'm asking if there is any way to prevent or predict this.

I did my front bearings several months ago, and I had to remove all the ball joints, they were still OK to my sight, but is there any way to be sure they are OK?

2oodoor
10-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Keep grease in those ball joints and tie rod ends (some call those ball joints as well) and they will last a long time.
It is only a ball and socket union. When the socket gets worn from the ball moving around inside it and the grease dried up, the joint begins to wear more rapidly. There is a certain amount of tolerance in the design that accommodates the space for grease so when the grease dries up or comes out the joint has free play. Greasing the joint can often renew it to specification.

Maintain a good alignment, good tire balance, and the suspension parts last longer as well.
I recently ordered two outer tie rod ends from Rock Auto, Mevotec brand, and the cost including shipping was only 21 dollars. The equivalent parts cost about 18 dollars each from the local parts stores. That was a bargain ordering online! I saved a lot on all the suspension parts I bought from Rock Auto compared to the ones I bought locally.

It is frightening to see these cars on the side of the road with wheels folded over!

Dr_Snooz
10-22-2012, 08:37 AM
It's a good habit to do suspension checks every so often. It's probably even more important is to diagnose and fix things when the car begins to behave strangely, bump steer, wander, etc. Most of the time, the car will tell you when it needs repairs. You just have to listen and act.

POS carb
10-23-2012, 11:51 AM
grab the tie rod. you should be able to rotate it but it should have no up/down play. if it moves up and down the outer is worn. if you grab the wheel and it has in/out play the inner is worn.
I had an outer pop out on me once, I was getting off the interstate, as I was looping around I heard the tires complaining so I thought I had a flat. I kept going since I was only about 2 miles from my house. when I came to a stop for a red light I couldn't take off, I saw the tires pointing in. I was lucky, I think the suspension setup (caster) in this car caused the tires to stay straight instead of causing me to lose control

Oldblueaccord
10-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Standard front end check:

1: jack up one side of the car until one tire is off the ground. The other side tire must be on the ground. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock position and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first. You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for looseness at the joints. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints(upper and lower) and upper links(bushings). There should be no play in the wheel bearings.

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock position. pry up look for slop ,looseness while prying. The upper link ball joint and bushings near the body are what your looking at.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars.

Do this a few times a year or when you change your oil,rotate your tires etc. you should be fine. Any weird driving feeling in the car I would do a check front and rear. Your car WILL tell you, some people just don't know or plainly don't care. They just "drive the wheels off of it" (English slang)

wp