PDA

View Full Version : Help, Loosing Coolant from somewhere Behind Valve Cover

SharkyX
10-23-2012, 11:12 AM
IM loosing major coolant somewhere but cant see where, its coming from somewhere behind the valve cover under or around the carb area. When it was really hot i could hear a hissing from that area. I dont know what is under all this stuff, can anyone help me figure out what is busted

Also how the hell do i remove the air filter box on top of the carb, i cant seem to find where its connected to lift off

DBMaster
10-23-2012, 11:40 AM
There is a metal water pipe going from the water pump to the heater hose junction behind the distributor. There is also a small bypass hose connected to this same water pipe underneath the intake, just to the right of the air cleaner assembly. If you haven't already done so, now would be a good time to replace ALL of the small bypass hoses, larger heater hoses, and short heater hose segments. It took me about two hours and $60, but well worth it. If you are still on original hoses you'll fix one and then another will blow on you, and so on.

SharkyX
10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
how the hell do you even get to those hoses? I see them in the haynes manual but can not see them visually, I cant see any way to get to them from the top short of tearing everything out, and i am not mechanically sound enough to feel confident pulling it out.

2oodoor
10-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Undo do the clips that clamp the lid on the air cleaner then take off the 10mm nuts under that inside. There may be a vacuum hose nder the main assembly you have to pull off, its been a while since I had one of those.

SharkyX
10-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Undo do the clips that clamp the lid on the air cleaner then take off the 10mm nuts under that inside. There may be a vacuum hose nder the main assembly you have to pull off, its been a while since I had one of those.

Yea i got that off i felt stupid afterward, just forgot to repost it.

After getting that off however i still see no way to get to these hoses from the top. Looks like they would be easy to do with a lift and go from under

ecogabriel
10-25-2012, 04:29 AM
I did all my hoses including the little ones under the intake manifold. I do not know if the carbed is any more difficult than the LX-i, but I can tell you it is doable.
Of course, you will swear and curse a lot while doing it so get ready for that.
It may easily take well over an hour to pull out and replace just one of those tiny hoses under the manifold working from above. Try using your hands to get a feeling of where they are or try using a mirror.

2oodoor
10-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Yea i got that off i felt stupid afterward, just forgot to repost it.

After getting that off however i still see no way to get to these hoses from the top. Looks like they would be easy to do with a lift and go from under

I usually loosen up the alternator to slide off the belt (don't remove it from the car totally just let it flop down) , then I remove the pivot bolt but leave the adjustment intact but loose. Swing the alternator towards the firewall.
this creates a big gap you can work your arms and hands in to.

Removing the old hoses I use a pair of wire cutters or side cutter and just pinch the hose good, parallel to the fitting, this helps free up the rubber and you can go ahead and just start nibbling at it with the cutters till it's all off. Be careful not to damage the fittings especially on sheet metal nipples such as on the coolant rail under the intake.

POS carb
10-25-2012, 10:56 AM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se001_e15.png
This is the water pipe below the intake. This is part of the intake manifold cooling system
#14 goes from the pipe to the side of the intake above the alternator
#13 goes from the back of the carb to the pipe (my car does not have #10)
#16 is from the back of the intake to the thermostat housing

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/13se001_b1704.png
These are the heater hoses, also back there but a little easier to see, closer to the passenger side
#5 and #6 plug into the firewall

DBMaster
10-31-2012, 06:48 AM
When I did mine (took me about two hours total) there was A LOT of cursing going on.

POS carb
10-31-2012, 07:27 AM
if you need help with it call me up

vVSmileyVv
11-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Having a similar problem, but the hose to blame finally blew off, had a 1" crack in it... The problem now is, I don't know where it's supposed to go. It comes out underneath the carburetor, and goes towards the driver's wheel well. And that's all I know. I've felt around, pulled the hose everywhere it can reach and I can't find where it plugs into, though it's somewhere above the alternator, behind the waterpump area. Any ideas?

EDIT: It seems to be the longer of the two hoses that pass under the intake manifold, I can see the elbow where it starts to go under the manifold, can feel the clamp holding it on the bottom, but still can't find where it plugs in...

Dr_Snooz
11-07-2012, 06:59 PM
You could always start the car and see where green is spurting out.

HLW
11-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Having a similar problem, but the hose to blame finally blew off, had a 1" crack in it... The problem now is, I don't know where it's supposed to go. It comes out underneath the carburetor, and goes towards the driver's wheel well. And that's all I know. I've felt around, pulled the hose everywhere it can reach and I can't find where it plugs into, though it's somewhere above the alternator, behind the waterpump area. Any ideas?

EDIT: It seems to be the longer of the two hoses that pass under the intake manifold, I can see the elbow where it starts to go under the manifold, can feel the clamp holding it on the bottom, but still can't find where it plugs in...

The hose you describe sounds like the #14 in the pic below.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/diagrams/small/water-pump-carb-458975.png

If it is, it goes to the pipe at the back of the water pump.

vVSmileyVv
11-09-2012, 09:42 AM
It's the hose coming off the last outlet on that diagram, after hose 15. It's a feed hose, water comes out when the engine is running, I need to find out where it plugs in, any idea?

vVSmileyVv
11-09-2012, 10:15 AM
http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o663/Icrise/mysteryhose.png

Here's a (crude) drawing of the hose.

Okay, it's hose number 13 from the water pump schematic. Any ideas where it goes?

vVSmileyVv
11-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Okay, so I feel stupid. The line was cracked, I had meant to fix it, and got distracted, and ended up putting another line in it's place when I put the carb back on. It goes to the carb, probably to heat it, or something. Thanks for those that tried to help, and I hope my absentmindedness might help someone else :)

SharkyX
11-09-2012, 09:29 PM
i didnt have time to do this myself so i had a dude do it, now my idle is all messed up rofl