PDA

View Full Version : short ram cold air intake!

Accord/Viger Ca5
10-24-2012, 12:08 PM
how will a intake system help hp and ware can io get one

ShyBoyCA6
10-24-2012, 02:02 PM
I honestly don't know if helps in HP but if it does maybe a 2-3hp at least. It does make it sound different than stock. you can find it anywhere.

gfrg88
10-24-2012, 03:14 PM
You can find them at the same place you find all other performance parts. You won't see much gains. Once you start combining with other parts you'll start noticing more gains.

MessyHonda
10-24-2012, 07:58 PM
the CAI helps the motor if you have supporting mods like headers, reground cam and b series intake manifold...ect exhuast. The CAI is one of the first mods that are cheap

Fenris
10-26-2012, 06:20 PM
You do want to be careful when putting on an intake. You're usually better off upgrading your exhaust first. The extra backpressure you get from the intake will, at the very least, blow out your muffler. You could also see seals leaking, or blowing out, if you're not careful.

Go exhaust first, then intake.

itzdave
10-26-2012, 09:03 PM
You do want to be careful when putting on an intake. You're usually better off upgrading your exhaust first. The extra backpressure you get from the intake will, at the very least, blow out your muffler. You could also see seals leaking, or blowing out, if you're not careful.

i think your science is wrong on this one...

gfrg88
10-27-2012, 05:23 AM

What about when people boost their cars and run stock exhaust/muffler? :)

Rendon LX-i
10-27-2012, 06:37 AM
you do not want NOT want to see back pressure in a system so idk whats going on here LOL. you see 3-4 kpa then you got a problem. have any sort of pressure you have restrictive problems.

Intake gains like messy said are only going to benefit you if you have the correct mods. like the saying says. "cant eat what you shit you'll gonna clog yourself LOL" you'll have the cool sound and whistle but power wise you wont gain shit prolly 1 hp. you think your going fast cause you hear the engine compared to stock air-box.

Theory is you want to suck more are in you have to upgrade the cams and then the exhaust system to benefit the intake.

also gio is correct.

Fenris
11-02-2012, 07:34 AM
i think your science is wrong on this one...

Blew my muffler to pieces. Literally, it fell off the back of my car. And I've got a small amount of seepage on my rear main now, from the pressure building up inside the crank-case. And going too big on exhaust eliminates a necessary amount of back pressure needed to produce torque.

Yes, a bigger pipe will give you greater top-end hp gains, but without the torque to back it up, you're pissing into the wind.

gfrg88
11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Blew my muffler to pieces. Literally, it fell off the back of my car. And I've got a small amount of seepage on my rear main now, from the pressure building up inside the crank-case. And going too big on exhaust eliminates a necessary amount of back pressure needed to produce torque.

Yes, a bigger pipe will give you greater top-end hp gains, but without the torque to back it up, you're pissing into the wind.

There's obviously other major issues with your car...

import racer
11-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Check you're pcv system.

Rendon LX-i
11-03-2012, 12:39 PM

LOL what ARE you TALKING about sir.

No no no no. From your discription you have a bad Cat an no not the animal, thus causing pressure going back into the head causing leaks/leaning out. even not running.

An big exhaust dont create back pressure so lets get that out of the way. Going to big will not produce the right tq LOL OOooboi. what are you reading man. do your research before you look dum on this forum like i did when i was in your state of mind.

IF your statmeant is true why do all honda engines including the k series have a 80tq loss on there engines yet there quick as hell. I completely understand your taught on tq and hp. i was the same way. but i never in my career (Technician) have seen tq loss on exhuast beening bigger. so lets forget that statment. :blah:

Check your exhuast system (CAT) and see if its functioning correctly which means its not dead (cats dont commit suicide they get murdered) why i say that is cause they dont fail for nothing. either a running rich or coolant is exposed into the system causing a cat to die. car running incorrectly will ruin a cat.

so much i can say but i just wanted to prove my point.

Another EXAMPLE : Customer states that vehicle is running rough/miss firing. I verifyed that problem and hooked up scanner (Tech 2) looked up o2 sensor voltages data pids before and after cat. Bank 2 was not even close.

So i pulled bank one and hooked up back pressure gauge. 0 AGAIN 0 back pressure. YOU dont want back pressure. OK so i verifyed that was ok. Went to bank 2 cat. Did the same was getting 6hg of pressure. NOT good. pulled cat and it was like a sand storm as happen.

So the exhuast was plugged in bank 2 and was forced into the cyl head causing damage to the rings and walls. So you can guess what happens.

:stick:

Fenris
11-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Excuse you? I never said that a bigger pipe causes back pressure. Read before being a dumb-ass yourself. Too small of a pipe causes restrictions.

And as for people running boost on stock exhaust, small amounts are fine, but you won't see any impressive gains without upgrading.

Here's a big thumbs up to you.

Doward
06-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Yeah, whatever, old thread - but damn, I gotta clear this up.

http://cdn0.meme.li/instances/300x300/39137616.jpg

You have to have CORRECTLY sized pipe to minimize back pressure. Too small of a pipe? High velocity, high pressure.

THERE IS ALSO a point of 'too big' of a pipe. When the hot exhaust gas exits the manifold and hits a big open area, what happens? The gas does what all gas does - expands and cools. If you have a pipe that's just slightly too big, that rapidly cooling and slowing gas acts as a fluidic plug.

No pipe? Well, you just aren't going to plug the world, now are ya? ;)

Also, no, you don't lose low end torque. You have just moved maximum power up the RPM band, so it 'feels' like you have less torque, because your engine can properly frikkin' breath.

UGH.

Hazwan
06-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Wat.

Doward
06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
People search these forums for info - don't want incorrect info floating around.

Rendon LX-i
06-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Smh

Hazwan
06-26-2013, 07:36 AM
But blowing up mufflers by having a cai! Not sure how I missed this thread last year lol

bullard123
08-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Ha ha wow! Entertaining thread

HelpMeHonda
08-27-2013, 08:32 AM
how will a intake system help hp and ware can io get one

It really depends on what your setup is now. I think it's an essential modification, however, don't expect to get huge horsepower gains from one even under the best case scenario.