PDA

View Full Version : can you bend rims from being parked too long

mykwikcoupe
10-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Needless to say my cars get parked for extended periods. It occured to me that since I nought these rims and tires new they havent moved in 5 years. I keep the pressure up and I doove the car a few feet a year. Im wondering if I should be weary of bending the rims or getting a flat spot in the tires. Its about 2k in rims and tires and really dont want to see them ruined even though they were never used

ShyBoyCA6
10-24-2012, 08:57 PM
well it could be as it has all that weight to support. Why not buy steelies and save your rims if they are getting bent for just sitting? it would save you money on tires also.

Rendon LX-i
10-24-2012, 09:24 PM
You can cause flat spots on the tires there for ruines em . Rims are fine. I got a happen putting my car on jack stands

mykwikcoupe
10-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Car has front and rear aem big brake kit so the smallest rims that fit are 17s. My 17 need new rubber and some curb rash repair. The only rims I had that would fit I had to buy.

ghettogeddy
10-24-2012, 09:56 PM
i would jack it up then.. just barely take the tires off the ground

Vanilla Sky
10-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Take age into account, too. Tires harden with age.

mykwikcoupe
10-25-2012, 08:58 AM
so if the pressure is within tolerence or possibly high, and the tires in a warm-hot location, is it feasible they would return to the manufactured shape? this is if they are damaged. im going to bring them in and have them balance this weekend.

Since i have les schwabs for service and they were prchased from them,, i wonder if they are damaged if I could have them warrentied for manufacture defect? Like I said they are new.

POS carb
10-25-2012, 09:48 AM
more likely to damage the tires, the rims should be fine

ghettogeddy
10-25-2012, 12:45 PM
so if the pressure is within tolerence or possibly high, and the tires in a warm-hot location, is it feasible they would return to the manufactured shape? this is if they are damaged. im going to bring them in and have them balance this weekend.

Since i have les schwabs for service and they were prchased from them,, i wonder if they are damaged if I could have them warrentied for manufacture defect? Like I said they are new.

only issue with that is how long ago you bought them... the warranty wont last for ever

Vanilla Sky
10-25-2012, 01:46 PM
The tires that came on my Astra were flat spotted when I bought the car. After a long test drive, they were round again, or so I thought. I started having some tread separation on 2 of the tires at about 20,000 miles, and on a third that I noticed at 35,000 miles. The tires rolled smooth, so I didn't know about any of the damage until I rotated the tires. I'm not sure how long I had bad tires on that car.

The car was built in January of 2008, I purchased it in July of 2009. The date code on the tires was from sometime in the summer of 2007, so these tires weren't sitting around a long time prior to installation, either.

cygnus x-1
10-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Modern steel belted radial tires are not as prone to flat spotting as the old bias ply tires were. As long as you keep the pressure up they should be ok for a good while. It wouldn't hurt to rotate them every once in awhile though. They will also last a lot longer if not exposed to direct sunlight. The UV from sunlight tends to make plastic and rubber break down faster.

I just got my diesel Suzuki Samurai running again after about 2 years of sitting in the garage. The tires were a bit lumpy for the first few hundred feet but straightened out quickly.

C|

Civic Accord Honda
10-25-2012, 11:35 PM
rims will be fine....tires are supposed to be replaced every 6 years as the inside can rot out before the outside..

gp02a0083
10-27-2012, 06:39 AM
Modern steel belted radial tires are not as prone to flat spotting as the old bias ply tires were. As long as you keep the pressure up they should be ok for a good while. It wouldn't hurt to rotate them every once in awhile though. They will also last a lot longer if not exposed to direct sunlight. The UV from sunlight tends to make plastic and rubber break down faster.

I just got my diesel Suzuki Samurai running again after about 2 years of sitting in the garage. The tires were a bit lumpy for the first few hundred feet but straightened out quickly.

C|

I have the same issue with the F250 I inherited from my father. The truck had less than 45,xxx on it and doesn't move much. What I remember my father telling me was the old school tires would flat spot really bad, but the newer tires were ok. After a few months I take the truck out now and notice it is lumpy as well, but after a mile or so they are fine

charliekuney
10-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Wheels are fine. I had a random tire that I found brand new with an Enkei wheel sitting outside of my shed for a few years. I ended up selling the rim with a free tire because even though I kept air in it, the spot it sat on creased from being flat so long.