PDA

View Full Version : world's safest 3gee

POS carb
10-27-2012, 11:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=vjAJHWH_SNE&NR=1

AccordB20A
10-27-2012, 12:30 PM
i used to have a safer one. it had no motor and sat in the paddock.

charliekuney
10-27-2012, 12:39 PM
That's been posted here a few times, lol.

Reminds me of the thread I was going to start of the exact opposite nature - the third generation Accord is one of the least safe cars that has been produced due to major design flaws.

Legend_master
10-27-2012, 12:48 PM

Reminds me of the thread I was going to start of the exact opposite nature - the third generation Accord is one of the least safe cars that has been produced due to major design flaws.

Really? My seatbelts don't even work anymore lol. That would make mine even less safe.....

MessyHonda
10-27-2012, 12:50 PM
i vote chesses car as the safest

elarson88
10-27-2012, 03:48 PM
What design flaws make it unsafe? Leaking power steering hose on the exhaust? That's the only thing I can think of, and easily repaired.

Dr_Snooz
10-27-2012, 04:24 PM
That vid was :wtf:

Someone posted up a 3g crash test video here one time. It was more than a little disturbing. The 3g was designed just before the federal government started mandating all kinds of new safety features, like air bags, crumple zones and crash cages. They aren't as safe as newer cars, but they are light and sprightly. The newer cars are leaden and dead.

I'm not sure what other safety "flaws" there might be though.

2drSE-i
10-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure what other safety "flaws" there might be though.

Operator error ;)

:repost::deadhorse:

Still a great video though, catches me off guard every time.

2ndGenGuy
10-28-2012, 07:12 AM

I think yours might be the least safe, due to the way you drive. :)

2ndGenGuy
10-28-2012, 07:33 AM
Really? My seatbelts don't even work anymore lol. That would make mine even less safe.....

Time to hit up that lifetime warranty!

charliekuney
10-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Imagine getting into any type of car accident where your door opens (this only applies to coupes and 1987-1989 hatches). What is now holding you in the car? Also, yes, the lack of proper crumple zones and other standardized safety features. Concealed head lights that protrude from the vehicle's body are also no longer allowed (pedestrian safety). Just all of that and the lack of ABS (for myself, hahaha) and other things makes me want to get the fuck out of this death cage.

Vanilla Sky
10-28-2012, 04:57 PM
These cars DO have crush zones, though. They have a surprising amount of engineered weak spots to keep occupants safe. ABS makes your car need MORE space to come to a stop. If someone walks out in front of me, I hope they die. It teaches the lemmings a good lesson. In general, these cars are plenty safe, especially for them being designed prior to 1985.

The seatbelts weren't the best move, but at the time, they met the federal requirements for seat belts because they were "automatic". There was an upcoming mandate for automatic seat belts in all cars, and this design of seat belt was up to muster for the time period.

charliekuney
10-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I didn't say they didn't have crumple zones, just not proper ones (to my standards, relating to my driving tendencies/experiences). For their age considering my experience with these Accords in accidents they are safe, but I can't wrap my mind around the "seatbelt on door" idea that too many cars of that decade had.

Also, "ABS makes your car need more space to come to a stop" is straight bologna. If two cars (one with, one without) stopped at the same time without necessitating locking their wheels, indeed they will stop in the same distance. If they are in an instance where they do need to lock up, the car with ABS will stop much faster because it will "unlock" the brakes if they do become locked, but the car without ABS will require much, much more time to stop while the driver attempts to slow down without causing the brakes to lock. ;)

/debate

2ndGenGuy
10-30-2012, 05:35 PM
This might qualify as the most dangerous 3gee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QOYs995dps

elarson88
10-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Yay for my sedan and its body mounted seatbelts! Haha