PDA

View Full Version : My first accord :) questions about gauge cluster?

2ndgensi
10-28-2012, 03:59 AM
Hello my fellow accord bros!!

I just bought my first ever accord. It's a 1991 EX-R, it has a silver exterior and redish interior. I must admit I am a prelude guy, but this car is so plush and ready for touring! My question are concerning my cluster. My rpm tach and speedometer are not working. I'm not sure if this means I need to replace my cluster or if it's a cable that needs replacing?? Also my battery indicator light stays on and my and abs light also. I think that the abs light is reading true because it would seem my abs doesn't work but the battery light really has me scratching my head.

Any information with some detail would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

gfrg88
10-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Try cb7tuner.com :)

cygnus x-1
10-28-2012, 07:24 AM
1991 would be a 4th gen Accord, and we only go up to 3rd gen here so we probably won't be much help. But it sounds like you have a grounding problem. I'm pretty sure your speedo and tach are fully electronic so there's no cable.

C|

Hello my fellow accord bros!!

I just bought my first ever accord. It's a 1991 EX-R, it has a silver exterior and redish interior. I must admit I am a prelude guy, but this car is so plush and ready for touring! My question are concerning my cluster. My rpm tach and speedometer are not working. I'm not sure if this means I need to replace my cluster or if it's a cable that needs replacing?? Also my battery indicator light stays on and my and abs light also. I think that the abs light is reading true because it would seem my abs doesn't work but the battery light really has me scratching my head.

Any information with some detail would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

2ndgensi
10-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Question, is there a specific reason why the 4th gen isnt included in this forum? I could see why the 5thgen and up could be quite a bit different but the 90-93 accord is sweet!

Rendon LX-i
10-28-2012, 05:31 PM
It's just not. So try cb7tuner.com

2ndgensi
10-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Dam to bad because you guys are super cool here!!

Dr_Snooz
10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
We own 3g Accords. We've worked on them extensively and know them well. The 4g's we don't know so well. We're happy to try to help, but our expertise is limited.

There aren't any cables in the cluster so you can scratch that off your list. Beyond that, you have a number of oddball electrical issues. I would begin with a good electrical system diagnostic because some of your issues could be caused by low voltage, high voltage, etc. Do it quickly because if your alternator konks out and the battery dies, you'll be walking. So check the condition of your alternator and battery. FYI, the "free" checks at the parts stores are worthless.

Legend_master
10-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Battery light generally indicates a failing alternator. ABS light could be any number of things. Not sure if that cluster is cable, or electric.

2ndgensi
10-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Hmm.. Okay guys I will check into it. I wonder if I can pull codes from this bad boy?

Rendon LX-i
10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
abs light can be due to wheel speed sensor dirty or circuit having a fault. abs system get any type of air in the channels you need to do a simulation on the abs unit it self to take the air out of the system then you can manual bleed the system. you would need to take it to your dealer to get it done. requires a special tool.

on the cluster having no speedo or rpm. check the grounds in the back. back prob or check for voltage.

Dr_Snooz
10-29-2012, 07:27 PM
You can pull codes by jumpering the little blue connector that dangles below the dash on the far passenger side. Turn the key on and the CEL will flash the code.

If you intend to work on the car, I highly recommend getting a factory manual. It will explain a lot.

POS carb
10-30-2012, 05:56 AM
If both gauges are dead and your alt lamp is on I definitely suspect a blown fuse

2ndgensi
11-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Ya I put a meter up to my voltage meter up to my car and it was showing my electrical system is only putting out around 13.7 volts.. I'm thinking that this is why my battery light is indicated. As for the fuse theory, I'm getting the sense that this could very well be the cause as the car had a little compartment with a sh*t load of fuses in it. I was thinking that maybe this is because the person I bought the car off of might have had to change them often.

POS carb
11-01-2012, 05:34 AM
13.7 volts is acceptable, your alt is charging. I really suspect a fuse now.

2ndgensi
11-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Oh really, I was told me alt should be runnin about a volt higher. Checked all my fuses also last night. There were no fuses that were in relationship with the speedo or tach. I checked the fuses under the dash and under the hood.

2ndgensi
11-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Well today I went to pull the codes on the car but for some really strange reason I cant or the life of me find the 2 bring connected to put the little jumper wire in.. I was reading this artical that showed in on the passenger side by the kick panel for the 91 accord but I looked very thoroughly and wasn't able to locate it anywhere.. I even checked the most conventional spots that the connectors usually are on the Hondas but I can't find the thing anywhere. I spent like an hour and a half on it and can't find it anywhere!

Gr..

POS carb
11-02-2012, 05:39 AM
over here they are usually a blue connector hidden in the passenger side kick panel, between the end of the dashboard and the frame (near the door speaker)
Look at your ecu, maybe it's the older style with the blinking LED codes

14.4 is the industry standard for alternator voltage but as long as you have 13.5 I wouldn't worry about it.

Just because there isn't a fuse that says "gauges" doesn't mean there isn't one. They can't fit every single part the fuse powers on that little fuse box cover. Check them all. My a/c panel stopped working and the fuse at fault was labled "defrost"

2ndgensi
11-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Ok thank you for the advice I'll let you know how it goes

import racer
11-03-2012, 09:27 AM
You can also try accordtuner.com.