PDA

View Full Version : plz help ASAP

romonharvey
10-31-2012, 02:43 PM
I need help bad my car want start anymore i was driving the other day when my car lost all power to it lights went dim an just cut off on me like there wasn't any power in the car anymore plz help an idk if this might help but before the car cut off on me it started to make a poping noise like a puttputt an started to jerk really hard as i stepped on the gas an cut off an i checked under the hood an there were sparks coming from my alternater harness plz help me

2oodoor
10-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Your alternator fried? You probably need a main fuse after that too, those are in the under hood fuse box, large square fuses not the blade type.
Inspect white wire to alt too for burned places or touching ground hich would short it.

romonharvey
10-31-2012, 04:49 PM
My alternator is brandnew only a week old an how do i go about getting a new harness if its all burnt up an which fuses r those my box doesn't have any diagram on it to show me what's what

2oodoor
10-31-2012, 04:53 PM
One of those first two from the front. The wire must be touching ground somewhere down by alt maybe at the lug it goes on.
60 or 40 amp fuses if I remember right

romonharvey
10-31-2012, 04:54 PM
An what about the putting noise i hear when I'm driving is that from my alternator not giving out any power becuz my battery light was two days before it died on me

2oodoor
11-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Your car has an electric fuel pump so once the juice is all gone or the opposite, overcharging too much voltage, the electronics malfunction.

POS carb
11-01-2012, 06:03 AM
you have an electrical short you need to unplug the alternator charge cable and recheck the problem could be in the cable or inside the alternator also punctuation makes your question a little easier to follow

romonharvey
11-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Ok so my car started up but right when it started the white wire started to glow orange an i also noticed it was all burnt up so what do i do now

POS carb
11-02-2012, 02:28 PM
you have a massive short!
The white wire is the alternator charge wire. unplug the battery and the alternator charge wire. reconnect the battery, there should be a very tiny spark. if you have a big spark that welds the terminal to the post the problem is in the car. if there is little/no spark, replace the alternator or charge wire. if there is a big spark with the charge wire disconnected pull the main fuses and check where the draw is coming from

romonharvey
11-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Ok i did that an there was a little spark coming from the white wire so how do i change it out an is there anyway i can get a new harness for the alternate about an inch of the harnesses wires r exsposed

romonharvey
11-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Ok idk What it is so what do u think the problem is ok i fully charged the battery at around 130 an now its died again its only been 41/2 hrs since it was charged

POS carb
11-06-2012, 06:29 AM
you need to do a current draw test. I have a feeling your alternator diodes are shot. Unplug the alt and check for a draw on the charge post. If you don't know how you can pull the alt and take it to Advance/Autozone for a free test