PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord Aerodeck spluttering and missfiring

Mikkey180
11-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Hello all!

I am new to the forum and I am hoping you nice people could help me out a little.

I picked up my accord 3 months ago for £350 knowing that it had a missfire, but after checking the basics I am a little worried its something bigger.

The engine chugs on idle and is very rough, although it always starts fine from warm or cold, and when you get above 4,000 rpm it picks up but still sounds like its missfiring a little, under 3,000 rpm is pretty much useless altogether.

I have noticed if you remove the oil cap whilst the engine is running there is a suction rather than blow back, if this has anything to do it?

I have checked the spark plugs, changed the dizzy cap and rotor arm and changed the coil, yet it is still missing on cylinder 1, it does not appear to use any oil or coolant.

Any help/advice would be amazing! A local garage thinks it could be an exhaust valve that has burnt out, it is on 109,000 miles

Thanks everyone!
Mike.

Dr_Snooz
11-04-2012, 08:37 AM
What are your compression numbers?

Mikkey180
11-04-2012, 09:12 AM
What are your compression numbers?

I don't think they tested it in the end, They just came to that conclusion, I have turned it over with no plugs in and it seems like there is noticeable compression but I don't have any numbers.

Dr_Snooz
11-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Do a compression test first and report back with the numbers. You can't diagnose a bad valve without a compression test.

Shiftmeister
11-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I would say check the valve clearance first before you do a compression test.

Mikkey180
11-05-2012, 02:37 AM
I would say check the valve clearance first before you do a compression test.

thanks! Will do and I'll let people know how it goes!

Mikkey180
11-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Do a compression test first and report back with the numbers. You can't diagnose a bad valve without a compression test.

will do asap and ill put them up :)