PDA

View Full Version : 1987 accord circle track project

Dgaf
11-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi my name is ryan im new to the 3geez site. I have a1987 accord stock carburated
a20a1 no mods caged and gutted . I took it out for the last race of the year at our local circle asphalt track and was whooped up pretty good . Im looking for ways to get sum speed from this thing any tips or links to sites would help ...... Thanks.

Legend_master
11-04-2012, 09:23 PM
are there any restrictions to mods you can do to the car?

2ndGenGuy
11-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Yeah, that's the question... what are you allowed to do to the car?

2oodoor
11-05-2012, 10:32 AM
lol, your screen name sort of sounds like a Weber model number.. there's a tip lol
what size track is it?

Dgaf
11-05-2012, 06:14 PM
The no forced induction thats the only rule lol

Vanilla Sky
11-05-2012, 07:24 PM
There are a couple of roundy round racers that post to the Sanctioned Racing forum.

Where do you race? How long are the straights? Are you having any issues putting power down anywhere on the track? Can you change carburetors or any emissions controls? Is there a written rule book, or is it more "run what ya brung" racing?

Dgaf
11-05-2012, 07:47 PM
At lakeport and ukiah speedway in northern cali.. And thers no power to put to the ground lol the straight away is our about 250 to 300 feet

Vanilla Sky
11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
From the factory, a carbed Accord only made 98 HP. Against all of the Ecotec and Quad4 cars, you're pretty much screwed without some mods.

My first mod would be to perform the first vacuum removal posted here: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11067

I wouldn't convert to a manual secondary like in the other major vacuum removals.

I'd then increase the timing to the point just before you ping under hard load.

If you can install a header, I'd install one. Here are some options:

Owned and sold by a 3geez member: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DC-sports-header-1984-1989-honda-prelude-Accord-A20-/290804665013?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda%7CYear%3A1989&hash=item43b54f0ab5

Good enough, cheap: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PaceSetter-Headers-70-1250-/150932003956?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AAccord%7CYear%3A1989&hash=item23243f9c74

Likely the best option, especially if you can fix it if it needs some adjustments: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Exhaust-Manifold-Headers-86-89-Honda-Accord-2-0L-/190740996452?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AAccord%7CYear%3A1989&hash=item2c690ca164

How much of an exhaust do you run? Can you run the tail pipe down behind the front passenger wheel? Keep it short, lose some weight, too.

Automatic transmission or manual? Our automatics are absolute parasites.

I'm reading over the rules now. Jammers, right?

Vanilla Sky
11-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Alright, it's pretty much stock only. With that in mind, here is how I'd build it:

1. Mill head down to service limits. I'd run this by the tech inspectors to see if you can mill a head for repair.

2. Install exhaust manifold and downpipe from an 88/89 LXi.

3. Vacuum removal. Make sure you can do this, too, since you will be removing stock parts.

The rule set is pretty restrictive. It's meant to be, though. These classes are meant to be full of cheap cars, not high dollar parts. I think anyone caught cheating in these classes should have their car crushed the moment they were caught cheating. I've seen far too many dads spend way too much money on cars for their kids to race, because their precious, skilless little kid can't handle a loss. Those people don't understand racing. Trust me, I'm one of the first guys to toss down my protest fee if I see you cheating. I've never lost.

Dgaf
11-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Yea there is no exaust rule all they ask is no adjustable suspension , under two Liters , no forced induction and theres a tire rule

Vanilla Sky
11-06-2012, 11:22 PM
You can't do any performance mods to anything, basically. You're going to be working within manufacturer's specs to keep the car legal. If you can remove the computer controls from the vehicle, I bet you'll pick up some power. You can't go to an aftermarket carburetor, and you can't port the intake manifold. You can, however, modify your intake setup. Exhaust has to extend behind the driver. Ignition has to be stock, but you won't be finding much horsepower there without other significant mods. If you're rebuilding your engine, you can bore to maximum specs and shave your head to limits and pick up a few HP and likely remain legal. Going to an LXi transmission will give you better gearing for acceleration. If you don't have any issues with traction, I'd install the narrowest, shortest tire available. I'd remove the spring rubbers to lower the car. You can weight jack it by removing them on one side if needed. There's not much there, but it's something.

When dealing with restrictive rules like these, you have to get creative. You can still do a lot to a car and keep it legal.

Dgaf
11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Where can I get an after market intake manifold without all the stock vaccum crap for a a20a1 that I can bolt a webber dcoe carb on?

Dgaf
11-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Where can I get an after market intake manifold without all the stock vaccum crap for a a20a1 that I can bolt a webber dcoe carb on?

Legend_master
11-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Check out the sticky thread here. (http://www.3geez.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?23-Carb-Tech)

Vanilla Sky
11-16-2012, 04:46 PM
You'll have to get someone make one for you, but unless you guys have no rules enforcement, you're going to be flagged and unable to race.

2oodoor
11-16-2012, 04:58 PM
If you are for real about racing this then you already know you have to make your parts unless you are just a chevy bolt up just add water bowtie groupie. What you're asking is the easiest manifold to make of all the aftermarket carb set up I can think of.
You should let me in to your track rules and I can help but otherwise it would be a waste of time repeating whAt every ford 2.3 and 2.0 mini stock outlaw tricky rick could tell ya. I say that with all due respect fella.

2oodoor
11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Vanilla Sky has give some of the good info there, and one thing Ive seen local that works great is 2nd gen prelude transmissions. Alignment set up, tire style and size that sqeeze by tech, blacked out msd ign, mll work on the intake manifolds carbed or FI doesnt matter, you can swap parts but just hope tech isnt in to old school Honda off road tricks. You could evn run 38 oulaw and make the oem air box fit it and leave the speghetti mess intact. Blah blah blah whatver u want just come back and talk about it geees