PDA

View Full Version : Main Relay..

vteckiller
11-05-2012, 12:43 AM
So as the weather has got alot more rainy here where i live my car doesnt want to start, and by that i mean when you put your key in and before you put it to the start position you can here the relay click and a prime sound? well when my car doesnt want to start i dont hear it.. but when it does i hear it. am i correct on this being the relay or is it just something else? but like i said it wants to start when it wants to.. doesnt matter time of day. if i had just tunred it off.. havent started it all day.. just wants to work when it wants to.. im thinking relay.. please help. thanks.

A18A
11-05-2012, 02:27 AM
those symptoms definitely describes a faulty main relay.

Vanilla Sky
11-05-2012, 07:47 PM
It does sound like a bad main relay. I'd pull it and resolder all of the connections. It's best if you completely desolder everything and replace it with virgin solder.

vteckiller
11-05-2012, 11:34 PM
It does sound like a bad main relay. I'd pull it and resolder all of the connections. It's best if you completely desolder everything and replace it with virgin solder.

Right right.. i know enough about cars just not certain area's and yeah i pulled it out looked at the solder and the backside where the pegs stick out looked pretty good.. was one spot that looked like it had a lil rusty color circle around two of them.. was hardly there but i could see it. im gonna go to junk yard pull a couple and keep em all on me just in case lol.. and mark mine so they dont get mixed.. thanks guys! your awesome!

DBMaster
11-06-2012, 07:28 AM
I don't mess with resoldering. It's a $40 part and I just replaced it.

Vanilla Sky
11-06-2012, 11:37 PM
I've sold quite a few resoldered ones for $20. I haven't had one of them fail yet. I keep a spare around just in case one of them does go out, so I can just send a replacement. If you have a soldering iron, solder, and a solder sucker, you have nothing to lose by doing a quick resolder.

vteckiller
11-07-2012, 02:02 AM
i just recently went to the wrecking yard today.. picked up 4 relays.. to find they are all " useless " i then went to the sears, bought a solder gun, some solder. and was on my way home to solder these relays up to see if they work.. after solder all 4 up and trying them all out again.. like magic.. they all work.. So now i have 4 relays laying around all nice and resoldered looking fresh.