PDA

View Full Version : Rubber band and a Ziplock bag? Should I be worried?

Karynne
11-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Okay, can anyone tell me what is going on with this? There is a plastic bag (secured with a rubber band) covering a metal tube that leads to what I think is my coolant overflow tank(?). It was like this when I bought it, just want to know if I should be concerned...? Isn't there supposed to be a cap on this?

The view from above...
http://thehondahatch.weebly.com/uploads/9/5/8/3/9583891/3024379_orig.jpg?0

Here's a closer view of the ingenious baggy/rubber band contraption...
http://thehondahatch.weebly.com/uploads/9/5/8/3/9583891/7692245_orig.jpg?0

Here's the tank that it leads to...
http://thehondahatch.weebly.com/uploads/9/5/8/3/9583891/7414272_orig.jpg?0

ShyBoyCA6
11-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Pictures are not working...but there shouldn't be any rubber band or ziplock bag in your car to start with...can you fix the links to your photos.

Karynne
11-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Pictures are not working...but there shouldn't be any rubber band or ziplock bag in your car to start with...can you fix the links to your photos.

Sorry about that! I'll fix it right now. And that was my thought exactly "What the heck is this doing under my hood?". The really funny part is that I bought the car from an auto technician school, so you'd think a bunch of mechanics would share that belief...

ShyBoyCA6
11-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Sorry about that! I'll fix it right now. And that was my thought exactly "What the heck is this doing under my hood?". The really funny part is that I bought the car from an auto technician school, so you'd think a bunch of mechanics would share that belief...

LOL, i would check everything to see if they didn't do anything else funny under the hood just in case. Who knows what you'll find under there.

After looking at the pictures, it looks like you are missing the reservoir cap. They did that to prevent dirt from going in but i recommend getting the cap for it.

Karynne
11-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Alright can you guys see the pics okay now? Sorry, I know the lighting is terrible but hopefully you can make out the basic components.

Karynne
11-05-2012, 09:47 PM
LOL, i would check everything to see if they didn't do anything else funny under the hood just in case. Who knows what you'll find under there.

LOL! Yeah, I need to do a major tune up anyway since I don't know for sure what they did to the car so I'm going to keep an eye out for anymore funny business. :D

ShyBoyCA6
11-05-2012, 10:10 PM
LOL yup. and yes the pictures work.

Karynne
11-05-2012, 10:12 PM

After looking at the pictures, it looks like you are missing the reservoir cap. They did that to prevent dirt from going in but i recommend getting the cap for it.

Is the metal pipe/tube stock? I've been searching through other people's under the hood photos and poured over the factory manual and I still don't see anything resembling the pipe that's on my car.

2ndGenPreludeSi
11-05-2012, 10:58 PM

Haha, Im going to school to be a tech right now, I'm not surprised. Those poor cars go through hell... Studentized they call it haha.

2oodoor
11-06-2012, 01:42 AM
This belongs in the WTF mod thread, I love it!

POS carb
11-06-2012, 06:21 AM
they lost the cap, the bag is to keep debris out of the coolant tank. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is secure. get another cap from the junkyard

Civic Accord Honda
11-06-2012, 09:48 PM
yeah nothing to be scared of did you make sure you dont have a rag as a gas cap?

Karynne
11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Haha, thanks guys. I feel a lot better knowing it's not a big deal. Everything else seems pretty kosher so far, but my mother insisted I take it to a mechanic for a thorough inspection. She offered to pay for it, so who am I to argue? :) I have an appointment first thing in the morning so hopefully it will give me a good idea of where to start to get her running smoothly.