PDA

View Full Version : Where is horn located?

derolph
11-07-2012, 10:12 AM
I need to replace the horn on my 88 LX-i but can't see where it is. :dunno: If it's in a hard-to-get place, any tips on how to get to it?

elpuma
11-07-2012, 11:07 AM
There are two horns. They are located in the front bumper area near the turn signals. You have to remove the front bumper to get to them. Why are you replacing your horns? Do they not work?

derolph
11-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Two horns? So, double the cost of replacement. :rant:

Why are you replacing your horns? Do they not work?That's right. They do not work. If I press the horn button, I may hear a very brief and faint sound, that's all.

They are located in the front bumper area near the turn signals. You have to remove the front bumper to get to them.thanks for that info.

elpuma
11-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I only run one in my car. I took the other one out and threw it away.

Vanilla Sky
11-07-2012, 02:47 PM
You can get to them by just pulling the horn covers if you're clever. These bumpers are easy enough to pull that I'd go that route instead.

Dr_Snooz
11-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Are you sure the contacts in your steering wheel aren't corroded? I had the most feeble horn until I sanded down my steering wheel contacts.

derolph
11-07-2012, 08:21 PM
I only run one in my car. I took the other one out and threw it away.I wondered about that. I might do that. Thanks for the tip.

derolph
11-07-2012, 08:27 PM
These bumpers are easy enough to pull that I'd go that route instead.I know there are two screws on each side where the bumper molding ends (in front of wheel). And then, I guess the bolts on the bottom that also hold the splash shield down there need to be removed. Are there any bolts/screws/fasteners across the top that are hidden?

Edit: Do I need to pull the turn signal lights to get access to bolts holding the bumper molding?

derolph
11-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Are you sure the contacts in your steering wheel aren't corroded? I had the most feeble horn until I sanded down my steering wheel contacts.I imagine this could be the cause. I've never disassembled the steering wheel. Can you describe how to do that?

import racer
11-08-2012, 08:55 AM
There is a bolt behind each bumper light and some on top by the rad.

2oodoor
11-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Wtf ! My horn sttopped working today and Boom there is a horn thread!

Dr_Snooz
11-08-2012, 05:58 PM
I imagine this could be the cause. I've never disassembled the steering wheel. Can you describe how to do that?

I think there are screws on the back of it. You just have to remove the center panel to get to them.