PDA

View Full Version : Selling out

nswst8
11-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Well its about that time with the way this is headed to stick it to those that are getting ready to stick it to me. Took my profits from Ford stock before they raise capital gains and sunk it into gold. Was hoping for a better economy before re-enforcing my position in precious metal. But since they are definately raising the debt ceiling its time to hedge against inflation.

Just a word to the wise Europe is in a hurt locker. We are headed down the same path. We must borrow to spend in hopes of stimulating the economy, wow like that is a sure way to prosperity. I emphasize "HOPE OF STIMULATING THE ECONOMY"

Good luck all.

stat1K
11-07-2012, 08:45 PM
The sky is falling!!!!!!

nswst8
11-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Nope, the sky is not falling. Just trying to share some information. It's simple economics. The more money you owe the harder it is to borrow. When I started buying gold it was $300 an ounce, now it is $1700 an ounce.

My goal is to be able to endure any administration. Understanding the economic cycle is really simple. Ignoring it is absolute stupidity. I would expect that anyone would want and hope to achieve financial independence. Have your money work for you instead of working for your money to ensure a steady cash flow throughout your lifetime. Running out of money before your life is over is absolutely terrifying to me. And relying on the goverment or burdening family to take care of you in your old age is foolish, have you ever seen a state run facility or an over stressed family caring for aging family member (Elderly abuse is real). Scary!

Hint, a recession is an opportunity to invest in a flatline economy. This is why you save your money instead blowing every penny you can get your hands on.

Money is not the answer to every situation but it is a good buffer, allowing you time to course correct.

2oodoor
11-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I so wish I could have got some of that ford share back then but I was mid divorce. I was just thinking about this earlier.

Dr_Snooz
11-08-2012, 05:30 PM
We must borrow to spend in hopes of stimulating the economy, wow like that is a sure way to prosperity. I emphasize "HOPE OF STIMULATING THE ECONOMY"

It's worse than you think. We are printing money, to buy Treasuries, to issue more Treasuries, to print more money... OMG! Unfortunately, that's how the Federal Reserve system works. At some point, all the money in circulation has to be paid back to the Fed. With interest. Except that the only way to pay the interest is to print more money, ie: make more debt. This is the end game for a corrupt monetary system, owned by the banksters.

It depends on how you're using it, but I would urge caution with respect to gold for 3 reasons:

1. Using it as currency is difficult. You're more likely to get knocked on the head when someone sees you with it
2. Gold has been in a bear market (lower highs and lower lows) for nearly a year. Obviously, the banksters are manipulating the market (big surprise)
3. If all else fails, the government will come take it from you, like they did in the '30s

I still say land, away from populated areas that you can grow food on is the best investment.

nswst8
11-09-2012, 07:21 AM
I have land 36 acres. That you will need a major 4 wheel drive to get to. I'm still holding exxon/mobil, walmart, home depot and lowes, Chipolte, Pepsi and the classic sin stocks. I'll be getting back into Ford (was my biggest return I bought 10,000 shares @ $1.81), betting that they will see another below $10 mark again. If a stimulus is passed I'll be ready to take my profits. Gold is just a hedge against the increasing debt ceiling and wasteful spending that will result in inflation.

My goal is to share some insight, hopefully to get them started on a path to financial security. I'm 49 and am on a path to financial independence but playing heavy catch up.

The reason that items are becoming more expensive is the dollar is becoming weaker with our increasing debt. Alot of these guys don't understand monetizing the debt and the impact it will have on them as individuals. Most don't believe they can get themselves on a road to financial independence besides winning the lottery.

I still make mistakes but am still making good progress to my goal.

As for for getting knocked on the head I have alittle more sense than that. As for Uncle sam taking it. They have to find it first.

Dr_Snooz
11-09-2012, 07:08 PM
I hear you, and if you bought gold at $300, then you definitely know what you're doing. I just keep hearing people talking about gold who don't know the first thing about investments. These are the same folks who told me to buy tech stocks in '99 and houses in '05 and oil in '08. Typical buy high, sell low behavior that leads to ruin. I counseled everyone who would listen in '03-'05 either not to buy a house or to sell the appreciated house they had. They all looked at me like I'd sprouted a third head. Now they're screwed.

I keep wondering if gold is the next big pump and dump scam the banks are running on all the suckers. It was a red flag for me when they announced QE3 and gold really didn't react. That means the market is no longer being driven by fundamentals and that's bad. I'm not a precious metals investor and don't really know all the ins and outs though. What I do know is that when every Tom Dick and Harry knows an asset class is going higher, you can be absolutely certain it will go the other way in a big hurry.

Again, it depends on how you're using it. If you're preserving the value of a portfolio, then gold is king. If you plan to make it your currency after the SHTF, then it's not as good. Produce from your garden, eggs from your flock, bullets from your cache, whisky from your still, etc. are all potentially better forms of currency in that case.

Kudos to you for trying to teach folks how to have a brighter future though. That's great. I'm not saying your wrong, just sharing my thoughts. All I would add is that you should become as self-sufficient as possible, develop good relationships with your neighbors in a small community and get your money out of a corrupt and collapsing financial system. Invest in land, seeds, tractors, solar panels, etc. Stay away from banks who only steal.

Peace.

stat1K
11-09-2012, 09:06 PM
THE SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a

nswst8
11-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Those who will listen and learn from the mistakes of others may have a half shot at a better life. Those that don't will suffer by their owmn ignorance.

Precious metal for the long term is a good bet, especially when the only thing goverments do is borrow and print money. Hell, remember when gold was only $20 an ounce and we were using actual silver to make coins. We can't make gold and silver and with the ever growing population I believe a solid investment over the long term.

stat1K, I'm not sure of your age but your comments really do reveal alot about your character. It is real easy to ignore the obvious if you choose to keep your eyes closed and only hope for the best. Or you can choose to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I would rather have the means to meet my needs thoughout my life than not. It's your choice.

Reading the writing on the wall is easy to see if you know what you are looking for. Like how many companies have announced layoffs and job losses since the election. I'm not concerned about myself or my family but I am concerned for those who don't see the coming recession. If Obamas own prediction of lower unemployment with the passage of a 900 billion dollar stimulus couldn't keep the unemployment from hitting 10%. Do you actually believe he knows anthing about the economy. I think not. All he knows is to borrow more, tax more and spend more. Tell me what happens when you or I do this?

And if the answer is to take from those who prepared for it, this only shows what a fool really is.

What is happening to those poor souls in NY and NJ, oh wait FEMA is there to help right?

2oodoor
11-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I won't speak for stat1k but Ive seen him contribute intelligent opinions on similar topics before so maybe it's just monotonous rhetoric for him at this time who knows...his sarcastic ripple is an acknowledgment of whatever :cool:

Dr. Snooz , those are timeless assets you bring up, and if you are fortunate enough to be able to remain off the grid for the majority of your needs, indeed that is for the better, same thing many of our folks did over the past 250 years. 250 ain't that many years in the grand scheme of things is it?
Nut trees FTW I could survive on pecans maple syrup and deer jerky, throw in a fish or a frog once in a while lol:lol:

Im pretty sure there are flaws in any shit hitting the literary fan preparation styles, nobody knows how anything would play out for certain. One thing is though if you read world history and pay attention, you stand a better chance of understanding what people have done to survive and what happened to the ones who didn't.
Sure as hell wern't no zombies or toe sucking space creatures :beat::nervous::rofl:

you all might want to continue stocking up on certain things that may be high in demand once they are removed from the public market though, take a wild guess at what those items are.

nswst8
11-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Stores only carry a few days worth of consumables and in the event of a major catastrophe the selves will empty in a matter of minutes. Grains, rice, beans, Quinoa, dry consumables and the ability to purify water. Rocket stove knowledge is a must for less consumption of burn material, especially when propane is depleted. Medical care will be difficult to come by so a good first aid reference is a must along with bandages, triple antibiotic ointment, Tylenol/Motrin, antiseptic. Simple infections can become life threatening if not cared for properly.

Stay out of sight and draw no attention to yourself or loved ones, everyone is a potential threat, stay alert at all times.

And by no means ever give up your god given right to protect yourself. Better to be able to drop a protential threat from serveral feet/yards away then to let it get to close and personal. Hand to hand is an absolute last resort. Throw sticks are a great way to keep threats away if you have no access to firearms.

2oodoor
11-10-2012, 05:12 PM
It was 2 weeks ago the asswipe cbs national news dude, I cant stand him, said were facing a major terror threat,,, cyber terror wtf and the clip went on, getting less and less tangable after such an alarmist headline. Pissed me off.
Then switching channels i watched lke a 3 hr docu-drama about this family, man woman and teenager facing apocolyptic survival, having to leave LA and make out he best they could. It was very feesable what all hey encountered and endured. The man finally died of an infection. That friggen tv put me in a deppressed funk the whole next 24 hrs or so. It just illuminated an uncertainty of purpose, the root cause of depression for many people. This is all media driven you know this.
Its not right, and its reaching epidemic potential if people really start to hyper focus on this shit.

nswst8
11-10-2012, 05:33 PM
My dad once told me that if you prepared for the worst thing that troubles you then it won't trouble anymore because now you are prepared for it. So now you can hope alittle more easily.

I like to hike alot in different terrains, should I just jump out of my truck and start trekking or should I prepared for the worst case senario so that I can enjoy the outting. I like to work on cars, houses and diiferent projects do I not concern myself with the dangers involved or do I prepared for worst case senario and enjoy the project.

I would like to have the means to live throughout my days or should I just throw caution to the winds and end up where ever.

My goal is to have livable income from our investments and I'm more than 2/3rds of the way there. I don't want to be a burden to my children or left to the state to be cared for.

Dr_Snooz
11-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Stay out of sight and draw no attention to yourself or loved ones, everyone is a potential threat, stay alert at all times.

Wouldn't it be better to live in a small community of like-minded people whom you trust and rely on for mutual aid? I understand the desire by many to be an island armed to the teeth, but the reality is that we have to live together and work together at some point. You can't live in a bunker waiting for anyone to cross your reticle. At some point, you have to go into town and buy food and materials. Be a part of your community, develop relationships based on trust and you'll never notice the apocalypse when it comes.

I honestly don't see a SHTF scenario unfolding. We have been seeing a slow and steady degradation of our living standards and that's going to continue. Many people are waiting for the big event announcing that it's time to run for your foxhole. That isn't going to happen. The oligarchs are going to keep slowly sqeezing you harder. You're going to have to decide when you've had enough of this stupidity for yourself and then find a new way of living that is closer to nature and sanity. Everyone should be doing that.

Phil, I would counsel you not to put your faith in investments or money. I worked in that industry for nearly a decade. It is completely corrupt. If you have your money in a bank, they are going to come and take it from you. Get out of the market and get out of banks. Bury your money in the back yard, but don't keep it in a bank. Don't put it where Goldman can get to it.

stat1K
11-16-2012, 10:21 AM
having a serious conversation on 3geez is sooooooo overrated.

i'm prepared for a lot, no need to spread the word.

Vanilla Sky
11-16-2012, 02:08 PM
stat1k, quit being so butthurt. Let us grown ups have our grown up conversations.

2oodoor
11-16-2012, 04:40 PM
having a serious conversation on 3geez is sooooooo overrated.

i'm prepared for a lot, no need to spread the word.

I dont know why you are talking like nobody is worth ditley ball sweat lately , we all go through noodlehead peckerwoodedness at times so lighten up snapper puss!
Im sorry your civic got jacked and honestly, I would take it off your hands if you were still in charlotte. You put a lot in it and it was one of the tightest civic sedans I ever saw.

POS carb
11-28-2012, 11:38 AM
I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about this... I don't have much money but I would like to start investing it in a way so that I can at least take care of myself when I can no longer work.
Any suggestions on a good website or book to start educating myself?

niles
11-28-2012, 02:07 PM
I do not have anything to contribute, but I am listening....

Also, I believe stat1K's response is exactly how the entire younger generation has been porgrammed to respond to discussions about being prepared and being observant: brick wall

stat1K
11-28-2012, 03:18 PM
i'm curious what you consider the "younger" generation. I have had many meaningful conversations on this site only to be given greif for my views. Phil is notoriously conservative while, i, myself am notoriously not. So my joking comment about the sky falling was more of a "here we go again" type thing, ya dig?

roodoo, calling me names and saying that i'm acting like no one is worth anything is a bit of a stretch. i'm not sure which thread you'd be referring to as i haven't posted in very many.

i haven't seen any grown up conversing vanilla, only crazy fiscal theories. You'd all do well to read up on the impending solar flair as opposed to our meaningless economic state.

CzEcHy
11-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Oh no solar flares. I wont be able to get 5 bars for a few days on my cellphone in March of next year.

/solarflare discussion.

nswst8
11-28-2012, 04:36 PM
I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about this... I don't have much money but I would like to start investing it in a way so that I can at least take care of myself when I can no longer work.

I have an account with www.sharebuilder.com although I transfered most of my stocks to my bank investment financial branch. But it is a good place to start.

nswst8
11-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Wouldn't it be better to live in a small community of like-minded people whom you trust and rely on for mutual aid? I understand the desire by many to be an island armed to the teeth, but the reality is that we have to live together and work together at some point. You can't live in a bunker waiting for anyone to cross your reticle. At some point, you have to go into town and buy food and materials. Be a part of your community, develop relationships based on trust and you'll never notice the apocalypse when it comes.

I honestly don't see a SHTF scenario unfolding. We have been seeing a slow and steady degradation of our living standards and that's going to continue. Many people are waiting for the big event announcing that it's time to run for your foxhole. That isn't going to happen. The oligarchs are going to keep slowly sqeezing you harder. You're going to have to decide when you've had enough of this stupidity for yourself and then find a new way of living that is closer to nature and sanity. Everyone should be doing that.

Phil, I would counsel you not to put your faith in investments or money. I worked in that industry for nearly a decade. It is completely corrupt. If you have your money in a bank, they are going to come and take it from you. Get out of the market and get out of banks. Bury your money in the back yard, but don't keep it in a bank. Don't put it where Goldman can get to it.

I was referring tp the current situation in NY, NJ.

Most situation that occur are not anticipated and thus most do not prepare making their lives miserable. If you live in a hurricane region does it not make sense to prepared situations associated for this type of event. Freeze zones have alot of extended power outages. Earthquake zones, etc, etc.

Rising debt is not a good thing for the economy or your dollar. I satrted preparing with a 30 day emergency fund, then 60, 90, 120, 180, 360. Now I am able to weather a recession/depression type economy for an extended period of time.

Look at California, it is one of the worst financially stable states in the country. How long can thay sustain this type of wasteful spending. Well lets just take from the rich. Right? They tried this in the 50s do you remember tax free municiple bonds. People are leaving CA because it is not a business friendly state nor a middle class friendly state. You either have to be very rich or very poor to live in CA. Most military retirees go to military pension friendly states like WA, NC, TX where we enjoy lower pension taxes. No state is perfect but I weigh the pros and cons of every state.

Look at NY with their pension deficit like CA their ability to borrow is greatly impacted. Just like you and I the more you owe the less you can borrow at higher prices.

nswst8
11-28-2012, 05:11 PM
i'm curious what you consider the "younger" generation. I have had many meaningful conversations on this site only to be given greif for my views. Phil is notoriously conservative while, i, myself am notoriously not. So my joking comment about the sky falling was more of a "here we go again" type thing, ya dig?

roodoo, calling me names and saying that i'm acting like no one is worth anything is a bit of a stretch. i'm not sure which thread you'd be referring to as i haven't posted in very many.

i haven't seen any grown up conversing vanilla, only crazy fiscal theories. You'd all do well to read up on the impending solar flair as opposed to our meaningless economic state.

I enjoy the debates we have. Debate is good. Never thought of myself as conservative. I just see how I have had to adjust throughout my life. Easy money, fast women and faster cars was how I started out as a younger man.

But, how many people am I suppose to take care of outside my immediate family?

stat1K
11-28-2012, 08:43 PM
I enjoy the debates we have. Debate is good. Never thought of myself as conservative. I just see how I have had to adjust throughout my life. Easy money, fast women and faster cars was how I started out as a younger man.

But, how many people am I suppose to take care of outside my immediate family?

at least 7.

i'd say you put yourself more inline with libertarian views, but most conservatives would say that of themselves. I don't identify with any party but i would never vote republican just based on the social issues of late. I don't think the government should tell anyone what to do or who to take care of. But then again i know that's an unrealistic demand so i abstain from most political processes.

i'm ok if you want to stock pile gold, i'll keep stock piling guns, ammunition, water, and rations. deal?

Dr_Snooz
11-28-2012, 10:10 PM

Most of the investment houses have good education on their websites. Here (http://personal.fidelity.com/misc/gettingstarted/gs-fund-allocate.shtml?refpr=ig0009) is Fidelity's. First thing you should do is establish a rainy day fund to provide ready cash for big, unexpected expenses. You don't want to invest something, then have to pull it right back out because the refrigerator broke. If you want to play it straight, open a cheap account at Vanguard or Fidelity. Whatever extra you have, stick it in an S&P 500 index fund (asset allocation funds are also a good choice, if they aren't too expensive). When you get that to somewhere north of $25k or so, you can start branching into more specific funds. At that point, you want to invest according to an asset allocation model (https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/fixed-income-bonds/diversify-your-portfolio). Depending on your risk tolerance and time horizon, you'll have x% in stock funds, y% in bond funds and z% in international funds. Each year, you will rebalance your portfolio to get back to your target asset allocation. Stay with index funds as much as possible. The expenses are low and very few funds beat the index funds over time. When you get to $100k, you can look into investing in individual stocks but its probably not worth the bother. Stick with Vanguard or Fidelity. All the other shops are corrupt and end up in the news regularly for stealing people's money.

That's the standard Wall Street wisdom. Personally, I'd say avoid banks and don't go near the market if you want to keep your money. Remember, I worked for a big Wall Street bank in their compliance department for 8 years. I was licensed to give investment advice and sell securities, so I'm not just talking out of my hat.

Right now, I recommend buying land in remote places that you can grow food on. Keep only cash on hand. A lot of people are buying gold but I'm not convinced that's a good investment now. Only put in banks what you feel you can lose should the bank go poof in the night. Instead, spend your surplus on tools and equipment to make your homestead work and provide for yourself when the SHTF. Learn to grow a garden and keep chickens. Get to know your neighbors. Avoid Wall Street come ons. They'll try to sell you the latest bubble and take all your money away.

I tried to condense that down (I know it doesn't look like it). If you have questions, PM me.

nswst8
11-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Good sound advice, this is what I was hoping that would come out of this thread. People are interested in getting onto a sound financial path they just don't know where to begin. Like me when I started. My bank is USAA it is a primarily military members only bank. I hope I wasn't implying that the general banking community was a place to put your money. My apologies for any who thought I was referring to the banks as an investment proxy.

nswst8
11-29-2012, 07:11 AM
at least 7.

i'd say you put yourself more inline with libertarian views, but most conservatives would say that of themselves. I don't identify with any party but i would never vote republican just based on the social issues of late. I don't think the government should tell anyone what to do or who to take care of. But then again i know that's an unrealistic demand so i abstain from most political processes.

i'm ok if you want to stock pile gold, i'll keep stock piling guns, ammunition, water, and rations. deal?

At least you didn't as many as the goverment could with your money. LOL

I stock pile most everything for a rainy day.

stat1K
11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
i didn't understand the first sentence phil. and yes stock piling is good. and yes snooz' view is directly in line with my own. but me and him tend to agree on a lot despite outward appearances.