PDA

View Full Version : Forum vs. Facebook

obd0driver
11-10-2012, 04:47 PM
So I'm sure at this point most everyone know the is some animosity towards the form from the Facebook page. From what I gather they fell as the "active/veterans" aren't much help or don't care to help the rookies out. I myself have had notting but great experience here. But at times I do see what they mean.

However I bring this up to say that having such a small following for these cars it dosnt help anyone to have us so divided. We will miss out on great opportunities to build bigger following not to mention the benefit's from having numbers in one spot for group buys, help make money to keep severes up to date, new parts and bigger better meets ect...But I'm not sure how anyone eles feels about it but all sounds nice to me.

I'm just saying

2oodoor
11-10-2012, 05:24 PM
How about somebody speak up this alleged animosity, is this being discussed because i looked at fb and saw no such thing. Is it discussd in pm's?
You starting a poll about this bs just feels like an attempt to validate whomever is leading that shit. Im not a player in that game, it's chicken shit posing as bullshit.

2oodoor
11-10-2012, 05:51 PM
No offense to you obd0driver, I know you are meaning no harm.
I will see what others have to say here before I go on.
You have to understand how half truths are used to influence and as maniplative tools.
Personally Ive gone well out of my way to help people, using text and pm of all sorts but sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

elpuma
11-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Recent dialog on FB group.

Ethan Monahan
So three honda guys pointed me to catalytic converter last night. So tonight, no matter how cold it is, raining, snowing, hurricane sandy. I'm taking it off and gutting it.
Like · · Unfollow Post · 10 hours ago near Nashville, TN
2 people like this.

Robert Dempster You may have melted it's internals when the car wasn't running right.
10 hours ago · Like

Ethan Monahan Yea and its sad I couldn't have gotten more help from the forum. I'm kinda done with it now.
10 hours ago via mobile · Like

Robert Dempster Yeah, but anytime you have stuff that's highly modified, there are any number of things that could be wrong. No one but you knows exactly what was done. That is one reason that I will never buy a car that is already swapped.
10 hours ago · Like · 1

Ethan Monahan Yea but nobody even asked questions. I kept everyone updated too. I just don't understand people today. Everyone wants payment or some tangible good before they do something.
9 hours ago via mobile · Like

Richard Thompson Also keep in mind that the site was being changed over and some of the users were waiting for that to be done. And the fact that half or the use fb and the other half is on the site dosent help ether.
8 hours ago via mobile · Like

Ethan Monahan I think we need to close this shit or something then. I'm sorry, and understand everyone volunteers but the site has fallen apart. The change didn't help. But I also feel like its no excuse to say oh the site was messed up...I still see vets posting to other threads and I'm sitting there keeping everyone up to date. I did my part and got ignored. Just isn't right in my eyes. Nobody even tried to question things.
6 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1

Ethan Monahan Im glad I only paid for a year of foundation membership. I'd get it back if I could. Hell at one time I felt welcome there. Now I just don't. And I think that should concern the owner, whose name I can't remember. Joe I think...
4 hours ago via mobile · Like

Martin Gustavo Rodriguez-Martinez Not many of the ppl on the forum can help you out cuz there are like only 5 cars running obd1. Those that do run on obd1 aren't always on the forum or on here.
3 hours ago · Like · 1

Richard Thompson There isn't as many active members (100 or less) as you think. And Martin is right I've meet 4 members on person and 3 out of 4 don't have accords anymore I bought 2of them. And only one was running obd1 with a b series (messy) and he is not on much.

The only way to fix this is the new members need to become the new active members over there and spend some time reading the old post. It's not Hondatech and there not gonna hand feed us. But keep to the fb page dosnt help anyone
about an hour ago via mobile

I understand Ethan's frustration for the lack of activity on the forum. Yes it has died down somewhat in the past few years but this is the site where important discussions should happen. The FB site does not have a search option like we do here on the site which can helps us find threads of members that may have had problems that we have and are trying to find answers to. The FB site does not have moderators that look over the posts or replies that ppl make.

obd0driver
11-10-2012, 06:14 PM
call me a shit starter if you want. I use them both don't care. It just seem to me people do not like site and the fb page has more active members.

here are some the post in the last week
look at the post Ethan Monahan ten hours ago.
joe's post about the update

Martin Gustavo Rodriguez-Martinez post on the turbo manifolds
"Sightsee MC Interesting, might have to get back on the real board 4 this!"

elpuma
11-10-2012, 06:23 PM
You're not a shit starter. I believe this is something that should be discussed because it is very relevant. People have to understand that the FB site is great to post quick questions or to show off your ride but the forum make it more accessible to everyone when you post things.

obd0driver
11-10-2012, 06:24 PM
No offense to you obd0driver, I know you are meaning no harm.
I will see what others have to say here before I go on.
You have to understand how half truths are used to influence and as maniplative tools.
Personally Ive gone well out of my way to help people, using text and pm of all sorts but sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

I know. By the way I am the Richard guy on FB as you can see I am all for the website and what it's about or I wouldnt have bought two cars off of member's here (frantik's car)and I've meet Pico and Messy person. Like said I don't have a problem. I more so would like to see the site grow as much as the Fb page has and is they get about 2 new members a day. and yes i know people askin the same stuff gets old but if you we shut everyone down of for asking knows gonna use the site. sometimes posting a link dose help.

Legend_master
11-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Nobody is getting paid here, and it cost money to run a forum. Servers, software, time, and bandwidth. If somebody feels the facebook page is going to give them more info, they are welcome to it. I can tell you the answers to almost any 3rd (maybe 1st, and 2nd as well) gen problem could easily be found with the search function on this site. I try to log on and answer questions as often as I can, but usually they are already answered correctly by another member. I receive pm's all the time about b-swaps, and brakes. I try to always answer, but I had to do my work on this forum, and with my own hands to figure out what works. I searched for weeks to figure out everything I needed for the swaps, people will have to be patient, and the answers will come. Its not Google, and there are not a billion people contributing to the mix.

So what thread was posted about the catalyst?

2drSE-i
11-10-2012, 07:33 PM

I'm with you. I never saw any such thread.

And no one is calling you a shit-starter, he's just talking about the smack-talking on facebook in general.

obd0driver
11-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Nobody is getting paid here, and it cost money to run a forum. Servers, software, time, and bandwidth. If somebody feels the facebook page is going to give them more info, they are welcome to it. I can tell you the answers to almost any 3rd (maybe 1st, and 2nd as well) gen problem could easily be found with the search function on this site. I try to log on and answer questions as often as I can, but usually they are already answered correctly by another member. I receive pm's all the time about b-swaps, and brakes. I try to always answer, but I had to do my work on this forum, and with my own hands to figure out what works. I searched for weeks to figure out everything I needed for the swaps, people will have to be patient, and the answers will come. Its not Google, and there are not a billion people contributing to the mix.

I'm not trying to point anyone out. And I thankyou for your help cuz you have help me b4 I just pointing out the fact that there is about a 100 user or so that don't like/use the site and that it would the benefits site to have more regular users. more traffic, more founders, more clicks on ad's= better servers and Easyer time get discounts on parts and parts become more available.

lostforawhile
11-10-2012, 08:01 PM
if we are talking the general facebook forum, I gave up on it, bunch of guys talking shit all the time, not everyone but a lot of them, the most common question I hear over and over, is how do i swap out this A20 for a D ? you try to help and they run you down, lots of ricers have parked themselves there

obd0driver
11-10-2012, 08:49 PM
if we are talking the general facebook forum, I gave up on it, bunch of guys talking shit all the time, not everyone but a lot of them, the most common question I hear over and over, is how do i swap out this A20 for a D ? you try to help and they run you down, lots of ricers have parked themselves there
didn't we all start out that way asking stupid questions because we didn't know any better knowledge is was going to help them learn

ghettogeddy
11-10-2012, 09:05 PM
right but they get butt hurt when the first 5 people say search.. we get tired of saying the same thing over and over and over.. no matter the car im looking up if i have a question first thing i do is search Google... if i cant find it there i find a specialized forum if i cant find it in search there ill ask a question.. if i cant find an answer there then i have to find an alternative fix. most of these facebook "members" are just mad cause they did not get a fast answer. or it wasn't the answer they wanted...

87accordlxi
11-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't like one bit that the Facebook group sees the activity that it does. And it's very concerning that people seem to prefer Facebook over message board communication. This board has over 10 years of data stored on it, is organized for easy access, and is searchable. I signed onto the Facebook idea in order to engage more members, but the group has done little to help the forum (in terms of activity). If anything, it's been detrimental.

Our official page is a proper fan page now, where I can more effectively use social media to promote the forum. I can work on deleting the group, but others will spring up, and Facebook couldn't care less about duplicate or unauthorized pages. I recognize that people like to communicate via Facebook, and I love that they want to talk about these cars, but that discussion needs to take place here, not on Facebook.

If anyone on the Facebook group wants to discuss this with me, my door is open. I don't want to delete the group - it's helpful to people. But I need to get people on the forum, not Facebook.

ghettogeddy
11-10-2012, 10:07 PM
well i think we need to promote the site more on the page instead of just letting it free roam you can add moderators and run it like a forum but we dont have it set up that way.

id make a couple of people that are active go through the face book and link peoples questions to answers on the site im sure we can find 2 or 3 people that have the time to do it

obd0driver
11-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I don't like one bit that the Facebook group sees the activity that it does. And it's very concerning that people seem to prefer Facebook over message board communication. This board has over 10 years of data stored on it, is organized for easy access, and is searchable. I signed onto the Facebook idea in order to engage more members, but the group has done little to help the forum (in terms of activity). If anything, it's been detrimental.

Our official page is a proper fan page now, where I can more effectively use social media to promote the forum. I can work on deleting the group, but others will spring up, and Facebook couldn't care less about duplicate or unauthorized pages. I recognize that people like to communicate via Facebook, and I love that they want to talk ab.out these cars, but that discussion needs to take place here, not on Facebook.

If anyone on the Facebook group wants to discuss this with me, my door is open. I don't want to delete the group - it's helpful to people. But I need to get people on the forum, not Facebook.

That would be a great start. Most new people don't know who to go to when they have a problem. So if every try's to help out and be a lil more friendly and inviting will be making some progress

Hazwan
11-11-2012, 12:32 AM
I find it funny that some of the guys on the Facebook doesn't even know this site exists! I usually would just lurk around and sometimes would reply only when its necessary but God I hate the Facebook group. I know we all used to be a noob but theres a difference between being a noob that are willing to learn vs a noob that wanted everything to be spoon fed. I recall seeing this guy asking for shop manual and I told him to search on this site and he said he couldn't see the sticky -__-

Asking a really stupid question and then flips out when people told him to search in here is just not cool.

AccordB20A
11-11-2012, 12:48 AM
forum > facebook. Nuff said... ive disabled notifications from the 3geez facebook page/s cause of the BS on there

elpuma
11-11-2012, 01:00 AM
I know we all used to be a noob but theres a difference between being a noob that are willing to learn vs a noob that wanted everything to be spoon fed.... Asking a really stupid question and then flips out when people told him to search in here is just not cool.
I remember telling one of them once to search and the forum and his response was "that's that shit i don't like." I'm willing to help someone that wants to put in effort to be helped but i'm not gonna do it all for them.

I find it funny that some of the guys on the Facebook doesn't even know this site exists!
That's why when i direct them to the forum i tell 'em to register so that they can use the search function. We can't assume that they know of the forum or are registered to it.

obd0driver
11-11-2012, 01:10 AM
I find it funny that some of the guys on the Facebook doesn't even know this site exists! I usually would just lurk around and sometimes would reply only when its necessary but God I hate the Facebook group. I know we all used to be a noob but theres a difference between being a noob that are willing to learn vs a noob that wanted everything to be spoon fed. I recall seeing this guy asking for shop manual and I told him to search on this site and he said he couldn't see the sticky -__-

Asking a really stupid question and then flips out when people told him to search in here is just not cool.

Yea and I it get but why not just post a link to it here to get them to cone here that's part of the problem. There should also be a more updated sticky post there is a lot of stuff that's should be there that's not. That's would make it more user friendly amd cut down on those "stupid" post. Some of the stickys are so old that the photos no longer show up on them amd that's a big turn on to new users. If your know to Honda's altogether would you know what most of the part we are talking about looked like. Are model isn't like any of the other or is it the same as more common models out there. So extra help is needed.

2oodoor
11-11-2012, 02:46 AM
didn't we all start out that way asking stupid questions because we didn't know any better knowledge is was going to help them learn

Um, nope
I've read stacks and stacks of Hot VW's magazines, popular hot rodding, popular science, penthouse, Hondatuning, Half of all the Haynes manuals at the public library AND I lurked here for months before I ever signed up. Any time I want to know about something I read forums only after reading actual reference material. Forums give you a shared experience of whatever topic.
I will say I was kind of bred that way because I was hungry, back when I worked for dealerships a car would come in Ive never seen before with a problem Ive never heard before and I had to fix it or not make money. Had to hustle at on top of that.

cygnus x-1
11-11-2012, 02:48 AM
right but they get butt hurt when the first 5 people say search.. we get tired of saying the same thing over and over and over.. no matter the car im looking up if i have a question first thing i do is search Google... if i cant find it there i find a specialized forum if i cant find it in search there ill ask a question.. if i cant find an answer there then i have to find an alternative fix. most of these facebook "members" are just mad cause they did not get a fast answer. or it wasn't the answer they wanted...

This is a large part of why FB is so popular. It facilitates a very simple stream of consciousness style of communication. There is almost no navigation or searching involved; everything is essentially in one big pile. Type in a question, get an answer almost instantly. What's not to like about that? (rhetorical question)

The down side of being so easy, is that the signal to noise ratio is much lower. So you are deluged with useless chatter. In that type of uncontrolled forum there isn't much you can really do about it.

I don't like one bit that the Facebook group sees the activity that it does. And it's very concerning that people seem to prefer Facebook over message board communication.

See above...

This board has over 10 years of data stored on it, is organized for easy access, and is searchable.

"Easy" is a relative term. It still requires more effort than chatting on FB. (not that this is a bad thing)

And to be honest I've never had much luck with using the forum search. It never seems to come up with what I'm looking for, although I don't know why exactly.

I signed onto the Facebook idea in order to engage more members, but the group has done little to help the forum (in terms of activity). If anything, it's been detrimental.

I just checked out the FB group and I was surprised at how much traffic there seems to be. That's actually a GOOD thing as it means that there are lots of people still interested in 3g Accords. Now we just need to figure out a way to get them to the site.

I can work on deleting the group, but others will spring up, and Facebook couldn't care less about duplicate or unauthorized pages. I recognize that people like to communicate via Facebook, and I love that they want to talk about these cars, but that discussion needs to take place here, not on Facebook.

Don't delete the group. That would just fan the flames so to speak. It would be much better to use the FB group to direct people to the forum. Unfortunately I'm not FB savvy so I'm not sure exactly how to do this.

well i think we need to promote the site more on the page instead of just letting it free roam...

id make a couple of people that are active go through the face book and link peoples questions to answers on the site im sure we can find 2 or 3 people that have the time to do it

These are good suggestions.

Yea and I it get but why not just post a link to it here to get them to cone here that's part of the problem.

That's a really good idea. Instead of answering questions on FB directly, post a link to where there answer is on the site. Telling people to simply search the site isn't going to be enough. They need a more direct link (I know, it's kind of sad). Fixing up the FAQs and HOWTOs will go a long way toward making this easier, and we (mods) are working on this.

There should also be a more updated sticky post there is a lot of stuff that's should be there that's not. That's would make it more user friendly amd cut down on those "stupid" post. Some of the stickys are so old that the photos no longer show up on them amd that's a big turn on to new users.

If you have any specific suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. And as I said, we are working on updating the knowledge base threads. It's going to take some time though since there is a LOT to go through and they have been languishing for a long time.

C|

cygnus x-1
11-11-2012, 02:54 AM
Um, nope
I've read stacks and stacks of Hot VW's magazines, popular hot rodding, popular science, penthouse, Hondatuning, Half of all the Haynes manuals at the public library AND I lurked here for months before I ever signed up. Any time I want to know about something I read forums only after reading actual reference material. Forums give you a shared experience of whatever topic.
I will say I was kind of bred that way because I was hungry, back when I worked for dealerships a car would come in Ive never seen before with a problem Ive never heard before and I had to fix it or not make money. Had to hustle at on top of that.

I know exactly what you mean. The difference now is that it easier (by orders of magnitude) to access specific detailed information than it has ever been before. I think back to having to use the card catalog to look up the reference number to find a book in the library, and I'm SO happy we have computers, the internet, and Google.

C|

Hazwan
11-11-2012, 02:59 AM
forum > facebook. Nuff said... ive disabled notifications from the 3geez facebook page/s cause of the BS on there

I left the group, twice. The only reason why I joined in the 2nd time was to sell some JDM shit to them and they complained about my JDM corners is too expensive at $60 SHIPPED. I left the group for good now, no more BS notifications!

87accordlxi
11-11-2012, 04:38 AM
This is a large part of why FB is so popular. It facilitates a very simple stream of consciousness style of communication. There is almost no navigation or searching involved; everything is essentially in one big pile. Type in a question, get an answer almost instantly. What's not to like about that? (rhetorical question)

I completely understand the value of getting an answer right away when you need it. I can't control how quickly questions get answered on the forum. All I can do is promote the forum and make it more user-friendly so that we have more activity, and then maybe things will be answered quicker in the long run. If Facebook serves that niche where an answer should be immediate, then great. But most questions aren't very time sensitive.

I just checked out the FB group and I was surprised at how much traffic there seems to be. That's actually a GOOD thing as it means that there are lots of people still interested in 3g Accords. Now we just need to figure out a way to get them to the site.

Don't delete the group. That would just fan the flames so to speak. It would be much better to use the FB group to direct people to the forum. Unfortunately I'm not FB savvy so I'm not sure exactly how to do this.

I agree. Like I said, I love that there's still a ton of activity, and that activity is taking place under a 3geez banner. We just need to direct it tothe forum. There are no plans to delete the group. It can still serve a purpose and be helpful to people, and I don't want to take that away.

I see a lot of discussion back and forth about telling people to search. Nobody likes to be told to search. Most users do some kind of searching before asking a question - whether it's very thorough or not is another story. Searching requires a little trial and error, frustration can set in, and this is a community after all so why not just ask the damn question. We've had this back and forth for years. Telling people to search doesn't help, but if you have to, at least give some suggestions for search terms, or direct them to a member who may be able to help.

Dr_Snooz
11-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Telling newbs on the board to search has always been something of a cop-out. We all know that the search function doesn't work very well and only tell others to search because it's too hard to do it ourselves.

In the past couple years, however, I've noticed that most of the time members will post relevant links with any admonition to search. It's pretty rare that people get screamed at any more.

FWIW, the new software has lifted the 20 second delay requirement between searches. It has also removed the three letter search term cutoff. Those are two gigantic improvements in search functionality. It should make getting relevant results a lot easier.

A18A
11-11-2012, 01:12 PM
I still have to wait 20 seconds between searches and can't search for anything less than 4 characters long :(

87accordlxi
11-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I still have to wait 20 seconds between searches and can't search for anything less than 4 characters long :(

There is a 15 second wait period. Search is very server intensive. And now that we're on my VPS, slowdowns are my problem, not the hosting company's.

bryan6732
11-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Telling newbs on the board to search has always been something of a cop-out. We all know that the search function doesn't work very well and only tell others to search because it's too hard to do it ourselves.

In the past couple years, however, I've noticed that most of the time members will post relevant links with any admonition to search. It's pretty rare that people get screamed at any more.

FWIW, the new software has lifted the 20 second delay requirement between searches. It has also removed the three letter search term cutoff. Those are two gigantic improvements in search functionality. It should make getting relevant results a lot easier.

I only partly agree with you. Off course it's easier to tell someone to search instead of searching the link yourself, but on the other hand some questions are asked over and over again. It's obvious that this annoys people, especially when the answer to the question asked is even stickied or in the FAQ. If someone tells a noob it's stickied, I think he should look up said thread, instead of leaving the board forever.

An option could be to contact the 3geez FB group owner to cooperate in whatever way. The way I see it FB should be to share pics and have a quick genaral talk about cars, but everyone should know that for information they should be on here!

87accordlxi
11-11-2012, 01:49 PM
I only partly agree with you. Off course it's easier to tell someone to search instead of searching the link yourself, but on the other hand some questions are asked over and over again. It's obvious that this annoys people, especially when the answer to the question asked is even stickied or in the FAQ. If someone tells a noob it's stickied, I think he should look up said thread, instead of leaving the board forever.

An option could be to contact the 3geez FB group owner to cooperate in whatever way. The way I see it FB should be to share pics and have a quick genaral talk about cars, but everyone should know that for information they should be on here!

But nothing (nothing!) will ever completely stop repeat questions from being asked. Every forum on the face of the planet deals with this. Think of all of the repeat questions we do stop by having a FAQ and stickies and a search function. But people think that their situation is different, or they want to word their question differently, and so a new thread is created. That's how human beings work. If the problem is frequently addressed on the forum, then it shouldn't be too hard to answer.

lostforawhile
11-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I asked the question right out on the FB forum,what would it take to get the guys there over here, the answers are interesting so far

obd0driver
11-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Is there anyway to something that shows the fb activity/post on a sidebar or tab. This way you don't have leave the forum to go to the fb page and if someone here see a question they know answer to they can post a link to get back here quicker. It's also make look as if we support the fb and exile them

Johnkowsky
11-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Being very new to the forum and cars in general, I have gleaned lots of info from this site when I did my weber conversion over the summer and as I'm researching for my next batch of mods. This is the first place I come if I'm having issues. As you guys already know, we play a constant game of I wonder if this will fit, almost, ok let's make it work or take this from this car, this from that car and put it all together. Most "noobs" like me and the younger enthusiasts that can produce long term members, have little to no car knowledge coming in and trying to make sense of the wealth of information is challenging. I personally have experienced issues trying to follow how-to's on this site, I would get to a point like I did in the Vigor stabilizer bar install where it said "shave your bushings down to accomodate the larger diameter bar" ok well that's great but how did you go about that? I tried a few different ways, wrecked my new bushings and finally just modified the Vigor mounting brackets to fit and used the Vigor bushings. I feel that some of the information could be updated and explained more clearly, new photos could be added as well as possibly some videos. I'm constantly piecing together the full story with bits from a multitude of threads on the same topic. Simply making the information easier to understand could turn some of the lurkers into active members. I just looked at the stats a minute ago and there were something like 10 members online and 57 guests, if that says anything it's that there is the possibility of at least 5 times more members. I'm interested in collaborating with some vets to produce some updated material and maybe a better system of organization so that more people who come here to find the answer to a question find it easily and in turn stay here to build up a larger community and knowledge base.

89T
11-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Well at this point you probably know more about the carb stuff. I am not saying that you cant learn other things but Once you get into the efi or turbo efi and ecu swaps you may get somewhat lost. With the efi 88's and 89's. they have a different pin-out. The pin-outs are here... finding them is the problem. carotman has the pin-outs for both.(which i used for my pin-out. (thank you.) I have a obd0 to obd1 pin-out that has been verified, but how would you find it if I did not tell you I posted it? I have done how to's in the past but they were never put into the how to section. I am not the only one who has done them. With Legend masters brakes to rendon's swap man there is allot to cover.

My question to you would be. How would you Begin to cover all the information?

No disrespect intended but there is an overwhelming amount of information here.

lostscotiaguy
11-11-2012, 09:02 PM

So sad, and yet so true...especially the ricer part. I see a lot of pissing contests and a lot of know-it-alls with fragile egos. You know what though? maybe it's better that we don't have to deal with posts from folks like that. It IS kind of a double edged sword though: Every owner not willing to learn for themselves, or take advice from others = one more car that'll probably end up in the junkyard. :(

obd0driver
11-11-2012, 10:01 PM
So sad, and yet so true...especially the ricer part. I see a lot of pissing contests and a lot of know-it-alls with fragile egos. You know what though? maybe it's better that we don't have to deal with posts from folks like that. It IS kind of a double edged sword though: Every owner not willing to learn for themselves, or take advice from others = one more car that'll probably end up in the junkyard. :(

but is it the job of mods stop or get rid of the shit talkers and there post. I've have one of my thread jacked and now its full of shit talk. If we had more/new active mods that did what mods do on other forum that would cut it back a lot. also there are should be a place/list where you can contact them so people know who to each out to.

cruisinSLOWly
11-11-2012, 10:20 PM
i understand everyones point of view ... i use both the site and facebook.. for me personally facebook is very easy to just get some quick answers meet new people talk about anything type of place ... but when i need a ANSWER to questions the site is the place to go.. facebook is a thing that most poeple have .. before cars i was never on a forum didnt know how to search or use anything but facebook is so simple and very accessible .. theres apps provided all your friends or family is on it .. having the 3geez facebook was cool to connect to recent activity with other 3geez enthusiast .. i think we should keep them both but imform people more and more about this great site!! cause like someone has stated its cool to know that more and more people are still loving these great cars facebook being there first step into the game and lets guide them into deeper knowledge with this site!! cause honestly people on the facebook NEED to know about the site -____-' its ridiculous if they dont ..

cygnus x-1
11-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Most "noobs" like me and the younger enthusiasts that can produce long term members, have little to no car knowledge coming in and trying to make sense of the wealth of information is challenging. I personally have experienced issues trying to follow how-to's on this site, I would get to a point like I did in the Vigor stabilizer bar install where it said "shave your bushings down to accomodate the larger diameter bar" ok well that's great but how did you go about that? I tried a few different ways, wrecked my new bushings and finally just modified the Vigor mounting brackets to fit and used the Vigor bushings. I feel that some of the information could be updated and explained more clearly, new photos could be added as well as possibly some videos. I'm constantly piecing together the full story with bits from a multitude of threads on the same topic. Simply making the information easier to understand could turn some of the lurkers into active members.

I'm interested in collaborating with some vets to produce some updated material and maybe a better system of organization so that more people who come here to find the answer to a question find it easily and in turn stay here to build up a larger community and knowledge base.

As moderators we find these types of comments VERY helpful, so if you have specific things that you think would improve the forum (or even the FB page), PLEASE bring them up in the Site News and Feedback sub-forum.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?31-3geez-News-amp-Site-Feedback

Regarding the Knowledge base, we are working to clean these up but it is a huge job and will take some time. Most of the photos were links to image hosting sites and the pictures are gone and usually not recoverable. Where possible we are trying to recover lost images and upload them to the server where the forum is hosted so they won't be lost again. The only option where images were lost is to replace them with new ones. If anyone has pictures that they think could be useful for inclusion into the knowledge base, please contact one of the moderators (or post in Site Feedback) and we'll go from there.

but is it the job of mods stop or get rid of the shit talkers and there post. I've have one of my thread jacked and now its full of shit talk. If we had more/new active mods that did what mods do on other forum that would cut it back a lot. also there are should be a place/list where you can contact them so people know who to each out to.

It has been suggested to moderate the FB page, but I kind of doubt that will happen (not ruling it out though). I see FB as more of an open air kind of place, where anyone is free to say anything they want, no matter how inflammatory it may be. The forum here is intended to be the more structured place, where you go for serious information and moderated content.

i understand everyones point of view ... i use both the site and facebook.. for me personally facebook is very easy to just get some quick answers meet new people talk about anything type of place ... but when i need a ANSWER to questions the site is the place to go.. facebook is a thing that most poeple have .. before cars i was never on a forum didnt know how to search or use anything but facebook is so simple and very accessible .. theres apps provided all your friends or family is on it .. having the 3geez facebook was cool to connect to recent activity with other 3geez enthusiast .. i think we should keep them both but imform people more and more about this great site!! cause like someone has stated its cool to know that more and more people are still loving these great cars facebook being there first step into the game and lets guide them into deeper knowledge with this site!! cause honestly people on the facebook NEED to know about the site -____-' its ridiculous if they dont ..

Again, this is valuable feedback. We (the mods) are formulating some ideas to help draw people to the forum from the FB page. I don't have any specifics to offer yet but I can tell you for sure the disconnect between the FB page and the forum is definitely on our radar.

C|

2oodoor
11-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Being very new to the forum and cars in general, I have gleaned lots of info from this site when I did my weber conversion over the summer and as I'm researching for my next batch of mods. This is the first place I come if I'm having issues. As you guys already know, we play a constant game of I wonder if this will fit, almost, ok let's make it work or take this from this car, this from that car and put it all together. Most "noobs" like me and the younger enthusiasts that can produce long term members, have little to no car knowledge coming in and trying to make sense of the wealth of information is challenging. I personally have experienced issues trying to follow how-to's on this site, I would get to a point like I did in the Vigor stabilizer bar install where it said "shave your bushings down to accomodate the larger diameter bar" ok well that's great but how did you go about that? I tried a few different ways, wrecked my new bushings and finally just modified the Vigor mounting brackets to fit and used the Vigor bushings. I feel that some of the information could be updated and explained more clearly, new photos could be added as well as possibly some videos. I'm constantly piecing together the full story with bits from a multitude of threads on the same topic. Simply making the information easier to understand could turn some of the lurkers into active members. I just looked at the stats a minute ago and there were something like 10 members online and 57 guests, if that says anything it's that there is the possibility of at least 5 times more members. I'm interested in collaborating with some vets to produce some updated material and maybe a better system of organization so that more people who come here to find the answer to a question find it easily and in turn stay here to build up a larger community and knowledge base.
Excellent observations and exactly the things we are committed to improving.

Johnkowsky
11-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Well at this point you probably know more about the carb stuff. I am not saying that you cant learn other things but Once you get into the efi or turbo efi and ecu swaps you may get somewhat lost. With the efi 88's and 89's. they have a different pin-out. The pin-outs are here... finding them is the problem. carotman has the pin-outs for both.(which i used for my pin-out. (thank you.) I have a obd0 to obd1 pin-out that has been verified, but how would you find it if I did not tell you I posted it? I have done how to's in the past but they were never put into the how to section. I am not the only one who has done them. With Legend masters brakes to rendon's swap man there is allot to cover.

My question to you would be. How would you Begin to cover all the information?

No disrespect intended but there is an overwhelming amount of information here.

I'm not saying I know everything, I never will. Fixing broken links, rewriting how-to's and logically laying out the information isn't going to happen overnight. In regards of where to begin, that doesn't matter as long as we just start doing it, chipping away little bit by little bit. The more people we have collaborating the faster it will go.

charliekuney
11-12-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure if this has been said yet as I can't see the posts (my forum changed to night rider and I can't see the words on the posts), but I choose to stay off of Facebook as it's not moderated as harshly as it is here. The last post on the Facebook page says more than enough...

lostforawhile
11-12-2012, 07:00 PM
I have a suggestion, what about a basic chatbox, or a decent chat linked to the forum? I think thats one reason people love the facebook page, they can BS in real time, if you remember when we had the what are you doing thread, it became like a chat and was so popular it had to be deleted and redone over and over, I have the honor of starting the first thread to crash the board, also maby hosting the pictures for technical threads right on the board

Skellington
11-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Sorry I had to use the 3rd option. I said "O thank god" when I saw how much everyone liked the site rather than FB.

2ndGenGuy
11-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Lost... we are now beginning to move the images in HowTos and any sticky post onto the 3geez server so that they can never be lost again!

Dr_Snooz
11-13-2012, 01:04 PM

Regarding the Knowledge base, we are working to clean these up but it is a huge job and will take some time. Most of the photos were links to image hosting sites and the pictures are gone and usually not recoverable. Where possible we are trying to recover lost images and upload them to the server where the forum is hosted so they won't be lost again. The only option where images were lost is to replace them with new ones. If anyone has pictures that they think could be useful for inclusion into the knowledge base, please contact one of the moderators (or post in Site Feedback) and we'll go from there.

x2. Remember that the How-To's are not stone tablets brought down by Moses from the Mount. They were written by members like you who were just trying to get something to fit and work. If you feel like the How-To could be improved, do a write-up and send it to a mod. Before I was a mod, I wrote up some additional guidelines for the AT -> MT Swap (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?102-How-To-Convert-Auto-%28-Automatic-%29-to-5-Speed-%28-Manual-%29) thread. They are now part of the official How-To. We are really focused on improving the How-To's and welcome your contributions. If you notice pics missing and have some we can use, let us know. If you notice errors, let us know. If you find better ways of doing things, let us know.

Legend_master
11-13-2012, 03:35 PM
x2. Remember that the How-To's are not stone tablets brought down by Moses from the Mount. They were written by members like you who were just trying to get something to fit and work. If you feel like the How-To could be improved, do a write-up and send it to a mod. Before I was a mod, I wrote up some additional guidelines for the AT -> MT Swap (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?102-How-To-Convert-Auto-%28-Automatic-%29-to-5-Speed-%28-Manual-%29) thread. They are now part of the official How-To. We are really focused on improving the How-To's and welcome your contributions. If you notice pics missing and have some we can use, let us know. If you notice errors, let us know. If you find better ways of doing things, let us know.

:word:

RAZR
11-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Hers my take on it. when posting in this forum its takes a long time for somebody to respond. If i posted on facebook you get a response alot quicker.

Civic Accord Honda
11-15-2012, 03:14 PM
omg i cant stand the official 3geez facebook....all everyone talks about there is asking the dumbest questions without any searching....thinks there gods gifts to the world and everything is about being slammed...and there has been threads about people thinking its better to remove the thermostat .... had to leave before i lost more brain cells lol

ghettogeddy
11-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Hers my take on it. when posting in this forum its takes a long time for somebody to respond. If i posted on facebook you get a response alot quicker.

It cant be about speed it has to be about retention, something veteran members understand and newbs just cant grasp.

RAZR
11-15-2012, 05:24 PM
It cant be about speed it has to be about retention, something veteran members understand and newbs just cant grasp.

Are you calling me a newb?

I agree that speed isn't everything. But I have waited days for someone to respond to one of my questions on here.

ShyBoyCA6
11-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Um...why not link our threads to our facebooks and replied threads? i mean say your on facebook and someone answers on the forum you will be notified on facebook? I link my facebook to 3geez.com so people know where to find me if i don't reply here and can add me or ask me stuff.

Rendon LX-i
11-15-2012, 07:15 PM
I can vouch for the fb crap . SO lame it is sad i dont understand. its some of the dumbest questions and crap i have ever heard in my life. I taught i was bad when i was youngster. Im like Geddy says I SEARCH before I even ask. Im stuck on the computer for hrs at times if i cant find a answer its part of beening a car builder. these young cats want GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE. i dont understand. i look on there once in awhile and sometimes i loose it an go off LOL. but Yeah Ill be getting on the forum more offen.

Honesty i cut back on the forum i can say it has slowed down alot and i feel like when i post it dont matter to no one no more. But my swap has made it as a sticky so im proud of myself ive came along away in my life. Building a 3g was my learning car and kept it. What can i say it was my first car.

lostforawhile
11-16-2012, 07:42 PM
it's not that I dont try to help, I have gotten run down for trying to be helpful on the FB page

BITESIZE
05-21-2020, 07:16 AM
I get on here all the time and have known/met alot of the members here. I've known the members here longer than actual people in my real life. The difference between Facebook and 3geez.com is the Users age. Most of us from the beginning were young and grew up without smartphones, hell, I didn't even have a cell phone until I was 20 since they didn't exist before. We are the last of the great Generation. We work hard and enjoy the rush of learning something new. We take more Pride in what we do to our cars. 3geez.com has helped me not only in the car world, but emotionally. If I'm bored or having a bad day, I get on here and bask in all its Nostalgia. This Forum helped me to do my first 5 speed swap. 3geez will always be my home.

Dr_Snooz
05-23-2020, 08:17 PM
I'm only on here for the chicks.

Oldblueaccord
05-24-2020, 08:34 AM
I can vouch for the fb crap . SO lame it is sad i dont understand. its some of the dumbest questions and crap i have ever heard in my life. I taught i was bad when i was youngster. Im like Geddy says I SEARCH before I even ask. Im stuck on the computer for hrs at times if i cant find a answer its part of beening a car builder. these young cats want GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE. i dont understand. i look on there once in awhile and sometimes i loose it an go off LOL. but Yeah Ill be getting on the forum more offen.

Honesty i cut back on the forum i can say it has slowed down alot and i feel like when i post it dont matter to no one no more. But my swap has made it as a sticky so im proud of myself ive came along away in my life. Building a 3g was my learning car and kept it. What can i say it was my first car.

and your the Admin on the FB page now right?

ShiRen
05-24-2020, 09:28 PM
I'm only on here for the chicks.

Can you share?

stat1K
06-02-2020, 11:19 AM
hate FB