PDA

View Full Version : My Crazy Idea

Skellington
11-11-2012, 08:23 PM
It seems that a decent suspension setup for these cars costs a fair amount of coin if you do it correctly. I may just be a cheap bastard, but I dont see why the suspension stuff costs so much considering the car having independent coilovers. These should be easy to work on and cheap. On some other cars / trucks with this setup they run a spring and a seperate shock absorber. I understand that these cars run a strut-looking coilover that has the dampener inside the spring (fancy fancy) which is a very good set up. These costs much more than a generic seperate absorber / spring setup. I thought about doing my own suspension. I can mix and match from both worlds and make myself some fully adjustable coilovers for a fraction of the price.
The Plan:
camaro rear absorber -could go fully adjustable
Coil Spring -Stock?, shortened ebay specials?
Adjustable spring mounts -I see these on ebay
Msc. steel tubing - easy to find in various sizes

Ill just make up a paint file to show what I have in my head.
Here are the parts you need and they are in assembly order:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/tikiroar/Honda/partsneeded.png
Here is the rest:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/tikiroar/Honda/coiloveridea.png

What do you think? Am I just crazy?

Legend_master
11-11-2012, 11:04 PM
The reason it's expensive is the tech behind the parts. Adjustable perches, and adjustable dampening are part of the full coil over setup. What your looking at is possible, but seems like a nightmare to maintain. Seems like your spring rates would be no better, and your shocks would be factory. Take pics if you do this, would be cool to see.

Skellington
11-11-2012, 11:28 PM
The reason it's expensive is the tech behind the parts. -Im willing to spend the time to dial them in.

Adjustable perches, and adjustable dampening are part of the full coil over setup. -If the setup worked Id replace the cheap strut with a fully adjustable one and the spring perch will be adjustable.

What your looking at is possible, but seems like a nightmare to maintain. -I don’t understand how this would be a nightmare. If you need a new strut, it would be the exact same process to work on than the stock or aftermarket setup, only cheaper.

Seems like your spring rates would be no better, and your shocks would be factory. –Exactly, but that’s why I would end up buying springs with the correct spring rates and eventually getting fully adjustable struts.

Take pics if you do this, would be cool to see. –Most definitely.

If I do it, it will probably be done with a cheap Monroe shock to keep cost down. The stock Camaro shock has higher dampening rate then the tiny accord’s stock one which would probably help. If it works, a fully adjustable shock would take the place of the stock (Camaro). I am not even sure the Camaro shock is long enough, or maybe it’s too short. I’m sure I can take a tape measure to my local auto parts store and see what they have in stock for size. As for springs, it’s just a matter of getting the correct spring rate for the weight of the car. I can take the car to a truck stop and have the front, rear, and total weighed to determine what spring rates to use. Or I can just see what others are running in their hatches with good results.
LM, thank you for your feedback.:thumbup:

cygnus x-1
11-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Last I recall you could get a full set of 4 adjustable coilover shocks/springs for around $1000. That's $250 each, which really isn't all that bad, considering that you will probably spend $75-$100 each for just the materials. Then figure in all the time tuning, and then rebuilding if you get it wrong, plus the cost of more materials if you have to rebuild.

Having said that, what you're planning is definitely feasible, you just have to find the right combination of parts. What you're describing is exactly how a coilover shock is made. There have been spring rates posted here before. You should be able to find them with some searching. Once you know the spring rates you should be able to select the shocks based on that, although you may have to contact the shock mfgs for that information.

C|

2drSE-i
11-12-2012, 06:56 PM
What's nice is, you can get Ebay coilovers for this purpose for next to nothing, and play with different shocks as you go. Keep us posted, innovation never hurts!

Skellington
11-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Did some searching and calculating:

$189 per pair for KYB fully adjustable (ebay)
Or $20.44 each for Monroe non adjustable (ebay)
Steel bits $10 for all (or search scrap bin)
Springs w/adjusters/hats 46.76 (ebay)
Cheapie Monroe non adjustable shock and adjustable ebay springs: $138.52 <- LOL!
Total for fully adjustable KYB shock and ebay springs: $434.00 <- not too bad

Last I recall you could get a full set of 4 adjustable coilover shocks/springs for around $1000. That's $250 each, which really isn't all that bad, considering that you will probably spend $75-$100 each for just the materials. -
I may just be a cheap bastard,...
But I think $434.00 or $138.52 (I lol when I see this number for coilovers) rather than $1000 sounds more fitting for my beater hatch.

Then figure in all the time tuning, - Dont threaten me with a good time!

and then rebuilding if you get it wrong, plus the cost of more materials if you have to rebuild. – If I have to rebuild anything it will be replacing shocks, springs, and maybe some O rings. It would be the same as any other coilover, only parts would be cheaper. I think I may snag a used shock from the wrecking yard next time im out there. This will give me something to work around that I wont have to worry about destroying. As for the fabricating part, Metal is easy to work with, it can be cut or welded as needed, but I think the fabricating will be at a minimum with these.

Having said that, what you're planning is definitely feasible, you just have to find the right combination of parts. What you're describing is exactly how a coilover shock is made. There have been spring rates posted here before. You should be able to find them with some searching. Once you know the spring rates you should be able to select the shocks based on that, although you may have to contact the shock mfgs for that information - You think as I do. Thanks for the feedback cygnus! :thumbup:

What's nice is, you can get Ebay coilovers for this purpose for next to nothing, and play with different shocks as you go. Keep us posted, innovation never hurts! – YES EXACTLY! I have been eyeing the ebay springs from various models.
Thanks for your input 2drSE-i :thumbup:

Does anyone know what the total height of the stock assemblies are? I need dimensions for front and rear. I also noticed that the front assemblies mount in a different manner than the rears. It appears to have the strut like way where the bottom of the shock tube clamps inside a cup-looking thing (terminology?) I would have to find absorbers that have the same OD than the stock and machine off the end that receives the bolt.