PDA

View Full Version : Any way to fix this?

Shawn87AccordDx
11-13-2012, 07:53 AM
It was like this (both doors) when I bought it. Not a huge deal, but it kinda bugs me.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/13/ze7y4yba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2oodoor
11-13-2012, 08:19 AM
It is par for the course with coupes and hatches. What I did with my hatch was used a razor blade and trimmed off the bad part with a streight line right at the corner there. You can then sand that part a little and keep paint on it or leave it that flesh color. It does look a lot better with it trimmed off. Make sure to glue down the edges of the the remaining vinyl so it won't peel up.
The seat belt keeps getting caught in there is what the cause is Im sure you know. Even with everything brand new these will still do this occasionally enough to damage the vinyl again.

Dr_Snooz
11-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Pull the door panel off, remove that piece and take it in to an upholstery shop. My local place wanted $200 to do the 4 pieces from my car. *Gulp*

Shawn87AccordDx
11-13-2012, 02:32 PM
I'll live with it for a while at $200. I'm more wanting to make sure everything is tip top mechanically first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derolph
11-13-2012, 03:27 PM
I have the same situation with my 88 LX-i and often wondered how to make it look better. So, glad you posted your question. I wonder if some kind a filler compound could be used to smooth the surface after removing torn vinyl, something this is sand-able, and then paint it.

2drSE-i
11-13-2012, 04:04 PM
I have the same situation with my 88 LX-i and often wondered how to make it look better. So, glad you posted your question. I wonder if some kind a filler compound could be used to smooth the surface after removing torn vinyl, something this is sand-able, and then paint it.

I don't think that would come out looking very good honestly. Best, permanent solution is this:

ALWAYS roll up your seat belt.

Don't let passengers close doors.

Take it to an upholstery shop.

derolph
11-13-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't think that would come out looking very good honestly. Yeah, I'm inclined to agree.

Best, permanent solution is this:

ALWAYS roll up your seat belt.

Don't let passengers close doors.
Well, I believe all the damage occurred before I acquired the car and how it happened puzzles me; I usually find that if I fail to have the belt fully retracted before closing the door, the metal buckle usually strikes against the door and door frame near the bottom of the door, not higher up where most of the vinyl damage has occurred. Seems a bit odd.
My car is a coupe. The passenger side is fine.

Take it to an upholstery shop.I just found one online: http://www.jandjautoupholstery.com/home.nxg. I may get an estimate from them.