PDA

View Full Version : How much of a bitch are rear ball berrings to replace???

HondaManDan
10-21-2002, 02:23 PM
hey my bearings in the ass end of my car are shot... they've got 100k stock miles on them. so i ordered 2 new bearing/hub assemblies from Advanced Auto and theyre comming in tomorrow at ten am. so.. my big wonder is... how hard is it to replace the rear hub? i'd imagine that you'd need to take off some bolts and beat the thing off with a good 10lb ball hammer... so how hard is it? is there a how to on this?
thanks!.. (btw.. i have drumb brakes in the back.)

ACCORD EX
10-22-2002, 01:01 AM
you mean you wanna remove the whoel hub ! then you'll have to remove the spindle nut i think it's 32 mm , you 'll need a breaker bar to break that loose !

MIKE

jteuton
10-22-2002, 08:30 AM
a rear ball bearing....???? wtf is that?....You have ball joints where the spindle/hub assemble contact the upper and lower arms and also on the tie rod up front. You have wheel bearings in the hub assemble that smooth out the rotation. You must mean wheel bearings. I did them on my truck and I had inner and outer.....I don't know if the honda has two sets or not.

HondaManDan
10-22-2002, 11:08 AM
well...i know what i have now... theyre sealed hub-bearing assemblies... so i need to take the rear hubs off... this is apparantly a bitch.... i just need to know how to remove the hub... thepart that spins on the spindle... that is.

YK86
10-22-2002, 12:21 PM
The rear hubs are actually quite easy. The fronts are a bitch since you need to be careful not to rip the balljoint boots. For the rear, loosen the lugs, jack up car, remove lugs and wheel, slide the drum off, remove the center cap on the hub, slide the drum back on, pull e-brake, use a breaker bar with big socket (forgot size) and remove the nut on the shaft. The hub will now slide right off after removing the nut.

HondaManDan
10-22-2002, 02:00 PM
sweet ass :) thanks a lot.. im gonna pick them up tomorrow and install them this weekend

ACCORD EX
10-23-2002, 05:46 AM
good luck ! :)

MIKE

markmdz89hatch
10-23-2002, 06:16 AM
hey Yasu, how bad are the fronts to replace?

HondamanDan --> How much did it cost you for the set for the rear?

anchovies
10-23-2002, 11:06 AM
Spindle nut is 32mm.
Get a breaker bar. Longer the better. It'll get it out like it wasn't there.

YK86
10-23-2002, 11:24 AM
For the fronts, you need to loosen the axle nut, remove the tie rod end, upper and lower ball joints, and get the caliper and brake rotor off (or out of the way). It's not that bad but I find that if you need to change the bearing, you'll also need to change the balljoints (gets expensive quick).

markmdz89hatch
10-23-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by anchovies
Spindle nut is 32mm.
Get a breaker bar. Longer the better. It'll get it out like it wasn't there.

...or at least one would hope....
...my nightmare...
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6276

anchovies
10-23-2002, 12:04 PM
yeah ...i hate stripped bolts and/or nuts
a one minute thing becomes a few hours or days if you don't have the right tools

HondaManDan
10-23-2002, 12:37 PM
markmdz89hatch-----> i went to a nearby shop and they would have charged me 145 a side... so i went to Advanced auto and they are 102.95 a side. so i spent around 216.28 with tax on both sides because it's the whole hub and bearing assembly... (still beats 145 a side plus labor)