PDA

View Full Version : quick question...

dcjjp1
11-27-2012, 12:49 PM
I have an 89 Accord LX and recently (with colder weather) is having a harder time starting in the mornings, it will turn, attempt, then stop. Sometimes it's like 3-4x until it does. It only happens when it turns cold. Summer and spring starts right up, late fall, winter not so much. Some days one try, some many...

The other thing I had noticed happened the other day was while driving (after warmed up) it seemed to i guess misfire (it bucked slightly) where all the door ajar lights in the dash (no other lamps went on) went on then immediately off, car continued to run fine. It did it last year around same time for the first time. Strange.

New battery already installed. New Sparks and wires are going in this weekend. Any other thoughts? Fuel filters? Are there any special tools required to change out the fuel filters on this car?

Legend_master
11-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Not really familiar with Carb cars, but have you had the alternator checked? Also sounds like there may be an issue with the choke since it allows for the carb to work with colder starting situations.

dcjjp1
11-27-2012, 01:30 PM
I hadn't had the alternator checked. just the battery. Used carb/choke cleaner recently and seemed to do nothing really for it.

Legend_master
11-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I hadn't had the alternator checked. just the battery. Used carb/choke cleaner recently and seemed to do nothing really for it.

If you have AutoZone near you, they can check your alternator for free. Or if you have a multimeter you could do it yourself. I think the choke on these cars is electric, maybe it is malfunctioning. Don't quote me tho, I am very unfamiliar with the carb setup on these.

g.frost
11-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Do you pump the gas pedal to the floor a couple times before starting in cold weather? Some who have never used a carb car may not realize this is Standard Operating Procedure.

dcjjp1
11-28-2012, 10:19 AM
I do pump it 2-3 times before starting . Bought a fuel filter (under hood one) new plugs and wires and distributor cap and rotor going on this weekend with the help of my dad. . Might even attempt the rear filter.

Buzo
11-28-2012, 11:36 AM
When the engine seems like it is going to fire up right away, but dies, and then you need to crank it for three or four or five times more until it finally fires up, means that its getting too much fuel.

I can easily turn on and off this failure mode in my FI car by increasing the "cranking fuel quantity" or decreasing it.

To remedy this in a carbed car you need to properly adjust the choke. Which is not easy by the way, but its doable.

I suggest you to read about the choke in the service manual.
First try to adjust the upper flaps in top of your carb. This will let more air and less fuel enter the engine.
Then try to adjust the screw that stops in the choke mechanism. A warming up speed of 1500 RPM is OK for a cold day. 2000 is too much for my point of view.

dcjjp1
11-28-2012, 12:07 PM
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z194/dcjjp1/accordlx.jpg
There's the old girl...