PDA

View Full Version : alt belt noise

dgon86
11-27-2012, 03:41 PM
okay so i have been hearing a squeking horrible sound coming from the alt belt. ive removed the ps belt to make sure wich made the noise. i changed the alt belt and it continues. i then notice the alt wasnt sittin right and it turns out the bolt had no nut where it pivots not the adjusting screw. i fixed that but now the noise seems to happen when the fan or lights are on. HELP!!!

Legend_master
11-28-2012, 09:20 PM
There is a chance you have worn out the inside of the alternator due to improper angle is was sitting. Take the belt off, and see if there are any unusual noises when you turn the pulley, or wiggle the pulley to see if there is any play.

dgon86
11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
the noise started about sunday. ive only driven 23 miles since it started. but i will hopefully try it tomorrow since its raining in l.a. right now. if there is play or noise is it a fixable problem without havin to get a new alt?

Legend_master
11-28-2012, 10:14 PM
the noise started about sunday. ive only driven 23 miles since it started. but i will hopefully try it tomorrow since its raining in l.a. right now. if there is play or noise is it a fixable problem without havin to get a new alt?

I've never rebuilt an alternator myself, but as long as you find the bearings, and brushes you should be able to. I always just buy a new alternator.

Dr_Snooz
11-29-2012, 07:04 PM
is it a fixable problem without havin to get a new alt?

Depends on the damage. A bad bearing is relatively easy. A damaged case or bent armature is not. I'm assuming money is an issue here, so pull the alternator to see what the damage is. You should be able to open it up without having to replace anything, so disassemble it, clean it and see what shape it's in. Like Legend_master says, rebuilding usually involves replacing brushes, bearings and possibly the voltage regulator and a thorough cleaning. It's a pretty easy job, but by the time you've run all over town finding parts, you might as well just buy a new one.

Worst case, I would spend an afternoon at the junkyard, mixing and matching alternator parts until I had a relatively decent one to install.

dgon86
12-10-2012, 11:26 AM
yeah at the time money is was. i went ahead and changed the wp since it has a lifetime warranty. now the noise only happens on start up. so now im still lost a bit. also one thing i just noticed is when i am drivin it seems to shake when i put a little pressure on the throttle. could it be time for new spark plugs?

dgon86
12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
thing ive done/added

carb rebuild
new water and power steering pumps
timing belt
new belts
new radiator
new hoses
valve adjust
new mounts
new distributor
full tune up 2 years ago
new exhaust manifold
starter

Dr_Snooz
12-10-2012, 03:47 PM
It wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs and see what condition they are in. When you changed the mounts, did you change all of them? If so, did you tighten them in the proper sequence? If you're still getting squealing, then you probably didn't get the belt tight enough. Fix that soon or it will glaze and never stop squealing.

dgon86
12-16-2012, 11:35 PM
thanx man i found the problem was the float level was too low so ive adjusted it and shes running spectacular. i will tighten the belt in the morning and hope it works. the noise drives me crazy! mounts idk. i basically just changed them one day. starte with the front/trans mouunt then the right side and then the back one. theres a sequence to tighten them?

Dr_Snooz
12-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Yeah, it's in the manual with a note saying that torquing in the wrong order will cause vibration. I don't think it matters, but figured I'd throw it out all the same.

dgon86
12-21-2012, 11:31 AM
well everything went out the window. cracked the block . just getting a rebuilt block and new valves since they bent. thinking while im at it just change it to fuel injected also. might as well. i was gonna do a b20 vtec swap but that can wait. first things first just get her running again.

firefighterwhite89
12-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Currently ATM, our alternators at O'Reilly auto parts are $89.99, which if you ask me, is UBER cheap. Last time i replaced mine, cost me $159.99 for the same alternator. That was years ago though. Sometimes, our water pumps will lose seal and slowly drip water and if yours is doing so, that's your squeak. Mine did it for a few months until i fixed it.

Hauntd ca3
12-21-2012, 02:00 PM
when ever you put a new belt on a car, tighten it, run the car for half hour or so and then check and retension if needed. belts will stretch a bit in the first hour of use.
the micro vee belts need to be tighter than the old school vee belts.
and personally, i wouldnt trust a $90 altenator as far as i could throw it.
see cheap " new or reman units " every week , and they are just that. cheap

dgon86
01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
So I am ready to do the efi conversion but I can't find the right throttle body for it. Always a bolt off. Anyone know where I can get the right fit? The car I got from is a 1986 accord lxi with a bt engine! I need help!

firefighterwhite89
01-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Just use a b16a intake manifold and TB. More abundance everywhere of them.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

MessyHonda
01-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Just use a b16a intake manifold and TB. More abundance everywhere of them.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

it will fit with mod. you still have to drill it to make it fit.

dgon86
01-08-2013, 11:33 PM
I found the tb and its all set up. I just dropped the engine back into the car. Just need to run the big harness and then set up the inside O.o hard work but damn its fun. So I'm hoping that by this weekend ill be done and have it started!

dgon86
01-15-2013, 11:39 PM
So I finished the conversion and the engine started up yesterday but today it won't start. There's a clicking sound but nothing. Could it be the starter or the pgm fi main relay? Please help!!!!!!!!

Dr_Snooz
01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
What's your battery voltage?

dgon86
01-17-2013, 04:21 PM
It was a dead battery. It's working now but.... But neither my directional or head lights are working. That's the only thing stopping me from driving. Not having those set up. I wanted to post about it hoping CAROTMAN could help out bu t this iPad doesn't let me post a thread

Dr_Snooz
01-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Have you checked the fuses?

dgon86
01-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I've checked the fuses and all the connections. I've re set the ecu and nothing. I'm thinking I made a mistake on the wiring. I'm checking it all again right now.

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2013, 08:21 PM
Did you not use the factory harnesses?

dgon86
01-20-2013, 09:45 AM
I did. I used the ecu and harness (engine, front and dash) from an 86 lxi with the bt enginE. I have the bs engine so I figured it would be interchangeable. I'm still trying to trouble shoot it with no luck.

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2013, 08:51 PM
What's the likelihood that some wires in your harnesses got broken while being installed? Is it possible that you blew a flasher module or both bulbs?

To troubleshoot wiring, you sit down with the wiring diagram. Starting at the connection where you get battery voltage, you proceed through the circuit toward ground, one connection at a time, until you find the spot where battery voltage is missing. Your problem is there.

Maybe you know this already, but just in case you don't.

dgon86
01-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Since the harness I got had connections on the passengers side that led to the power windows, moon roof, power locks etc i cut them. I think that might be where I messed up.

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Instead of trying to unravel your harness, would it be easier to run new wires?

dgon86
01-20-2013, 11:33 PM
I have no idea. I've only ran wires for the radiator fan to a toggle switch. Would that be better to do? Or easier?

dgon86
01-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Okay so I got the light tester and I checked the connections on the head lights. 2 of the 3 slots have power running through on both sides.so this means it is a ground then?