PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get some repair info for a Cerwin-Vega EXL-1200D amp?

POS carb
11-29-2012, 12:57 PM
I have two dead ones.
I would like to use one for parts and fix the other
One had a protection fault I believe.
The second one quit playing, but the green light comes on. I found a capacitor had broken off of an IC and was rolling around. I resoldered it using the other amp as a guide but still no sound.
Already checked the inputs, power, ground, remote, and outputs, everything seems normal, no burnt smell

2oodoor
11-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Wow you know any of that cerwin vega stuff is very hot collectable now. How about transistors? Rectifier bridge? I would search some different arrangments of what you have title wise and I wouldn't open any :fixya; titled sites, those always corrupt my searches but thats just my op1nion.
I found good info by using Hi Fi

Dr_Snooz
11-29-2012, 06:29 PM
POS, have you had a lot of luck fixing solid state electronics?

A18A
11-30-2012, 01:30 AM
I wouldn't open any :fixya; titled sites, those always corrupt my searches but thats just my op1nion.

this times a million. I've never had any helpful results from there

POS carb
12-05-2012, 07:06 AM
POS, have you had a lot of luck fixing solid state electronics?

No... I just look for obvious defects like melted parts or loose solder joints. I'd like to learn though, I have quite a few dead amps :lol:

Dr_Snooz
12-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Okay, just checking to see if your luck has been better than mine. I just throw it all away now.

Good luck with the repair.

2oodoor
12-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Okay, just checking to see if your luck has been better than mine. I just throw it all away now.

Good luck with the repair.
I understand somewhat but there is a growing market for vintage stereo equipment of certain branding.
There are some really good sites but they are hard to find in searches so you have to use sometimes untypical arrangements under the title and look for links on entheusists sites.

Dr_Snooz
12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, every time my brother comes out from Texas, he gets to work on my Dad's vacuum tube receiver. I understand wanting to fix something that's awesome (hence my love for 3g's). I simply have never had any luck fixing solid state stuff. Even my brother won't do it anymore. He sends us out to buy new.