PDA

View Full Version : GPS for MPG

Shawn87AccordDx
11-29-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm looking at buying a GPS or a (cheap) app for my iPhone that will track my routes, etc so I can get a better idea of my MPG. Any suggestions on GPS devices or iPhone apps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghettogeddy
11-29-2012, 04:36 PM
you dont need an app for that... take the tank down to the gas light and put a set amount of money in $10 $20 and record how many gallons that is then take it down to the light again and write down the miles you got and then do the math

Shawn87AccordDx
11-29-2012, 04:38 PM
you dont need an app for that... take the tank down to the gas light and put a set amount of money in $10 $20 and record how many gallons that is then take it down to the light again and write down the miles you got and then do the math

I'm doing that now, but I want to make sure my odometer, etc works as well.

Legend_master
11-29-2012, 04:54 PM

That actually does not work, think about the fact that being on a hill will turn the light on. Best way to do it is to fill full everything.

I'm doing that now, but I want to make sure my odometer, etc works as well.

I've done a lot of navigation with the iphone, and mpg tracking. Gas cubby is a great app for tracking mpg, but you will have to fill up every time. Also relies on your odometer being accurate.

As far as tracking you, I would go with location tracking GPS kit free. You can even download maps with this app. I actually think the odometer is more accurate then the GPS as far as mileage tracking.

charliekuney
11-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Wanna test your odometer? Get on the freeway, find a mile marker, set your trip meter, and if it rolls over a mile every time you pass the marker... :)

Legend_master
11-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Wanna test your odometer? Get on the freeway, find a mile marker, set your trip meter, and if it rolls over a mile every time you pass the marker... :)

and this lol.

derolph
11-29-2012, 05:42 PM
you dont need an app for that... take the tank down to the gas light and put a set amount of money in $10 $20 and record how many gallons that is then take it down to the light again and write down the miles you got and then do the mathThat's a rather convoluted and inaccurate way to do it. Just fill the tank, set your trip odometer to 0, drive any number of miles (normally, this would probably be over 100 miles), fill the tank again, and divide the number of miles on your odometer by the quantity of gas put in the tank. For example, if you drive 100 miles and filling the take at that point took 4 gallons, you got 25 mpg (100/4). Make sure the vehicle is sitting on a level spot for both fills and make sure you top up the tank in the same manner both times to get an accurate measure of gas consumed.

ghettogeddy
11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
sorry its not perfect but it worked for me..

also one thing i left out and so did everyone else is the gas you use you must use the same brand and octaine and try to stay away form cheap gas.. i find that 76 runs the best in my elantra and if i use arco i loose millage

Shawn87AccordDx
11-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the tips. Does anyone have a favorite GPS though?

Dr_Snooz
11-29-2012, 06:27 PM
if i use arco i loose millage

My mileage declined by more than 20% when I filled with Valero.

Legend_master
11-29-2012, 06:35 PM
sorry its not perfect but it worked for me..

also one thing i left out and so did everyone else is the gas you use you must use the same brand and octaine and try to stay away form cheap gas.. i find that 76 runs the best in my elantra and if i use arco i loose millage

My mileage declined by more than 20% when I filled with Valero.

I have the same problem when I fill up at QT or racetrack.

2oodoor
12-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Anyone have comments on how accurate mph is on these? I use a Garmin nuvo and I like it, don't love it though.

2ndGenGuy
12-10-2012, 08:47 AM
I use a nifty program on my iPhone called SpeedTracker sometimes. It's got a Map, HUD, keeps average speed, top speed, distance, all that basic trip computer stuff. Pretty simple to use. I like it's simplicity. Keeping average speed can be dangerous though. It's easy to want to just nudge it up a bit higher and a bit higher. ;)

Legend_master
12-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Anyone have comments on how accurate mph is on these? I use a Garmin nuvo and I like it, don't love it though.

I tested mine with the mile marker method, it worked well. My odometer worked perfectly, but the GPS was off by .2 of a mile. Strange since I have bigger rims/times and a completely different vss sensor.