PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust trouble...

chavezbrian101
11-30-2012, 09:54 PM
So i was driving the other day and realized that the car sounded louder than usual so i checked as soon as i go home and then i see some of the piping broke. So i took off the exhaust and this is result...what should i do?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/01/py6uga3y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/01/unebuhum.jpg

Sent from my 5860E using Tapatalk 2

2geeSEi
11-30-2012, 10:34 PM
You need to re-do the whole exhaust.

Oldblueaccord
12-01-2012, 03:51 AM
I would leave it off and let that thing rip. At night I bet you can see a flame roll out when you let off the gas!

wp

2geeSEi
12-01-2012, 08:53 AM
I would leave it off and let that thing rip. At night I bet you can see a flame roll out when you let off the gas!
He'd be the life of the neighborhood!

derolph
12-01-2012, 09:46 AM
Hard to tell from your photos whether there a leaks from the catalytic converter and back, including the muffler. There appears to be a separation of the pipe from the resonator at the rear end of the resonator but this is, again, is hard to tell from the photo. But, clearly, you need to replace the flex section, which needs to be welded in.

Just do a thorough inspection. Do some jabbing with a screw driver at rusted spots to see whether this pokes holes through the metal.

AccordEpicenter
12-01-2012, 09:48 AM
if you can get the a pipe off of the cat and the muffler off the flange of the b pipe id just put a new honda muffler on it and see if you can find a good used a pipe. This should be a bolt on process if you can get the old nuts/studs out and replace with new ones. i always liked to use an angle grinder and a cutoff wheel if its off the car like this

2geeSEi
12-01-2012, 10:20 AM
It looks like the outer pipe on the resonator is cracked from the picture. They have new Bosal ones at Rock Auto for under $70. The pipe from the resonator to the muffler looks like it can be fitted to a universal type muffler with the correct inlet and outlet if cost is a big issue. Otherwise, you can get a muffler/pipe assembly for $80. The flex pipe will need replaced and requires welding. Hopefully you can save the CAT, the California ones aren't cheap, but if you can't, performancepeddler.com has the CA approved Magnaflow ones for the best price.

Dr_Snooz
12-01-2012, 06:18 PM
I'd look at the junkyard for a replacement flexpipe. For the muffler, if you can't weld, you can take it to the muffler shop and have them weld it back on for not too much money. You can also get a length of pipe from the parts store and a couple u-clamps to hold it together.

You could also use this as your excuse to buy a new exhaust system.

chavezbrian101
12-01-2012, 06:57 PM
I think for the meantime I'll just go to the junk and get a temporary replacement, i was thinking straight piping the car

Sent from my 5860E using Tapatalk 2

lostscotiaguy
12-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Just my 2 cents re: The Cat.
I've got a "One size fits all" high flow Magnaflow on my 81 that's not C.A.R.B. Approved, I got it for 60$ from a muffler shop and had to have a friend cut and weld the flanges from the old cat onto it. The smog guy's never said a word about it...it passes the sniffer with flying colors. I may be wrong here but it's my theory that the only REAL difference between most CARB Approved cats and the 50 State ones is the price and the E.O.# sticker....considering it's not under the hood, I don't think any smog guy ever even looks at the cat, as long as there's one there. I'll freely admit I could be totally wrong about them being the same but it makes sense to me that they'd simply sell the same product under a different part # just to make more money off the BS smog laws. Maybe more complicated newer models have key differences but I doubt the older applications do. I guess what I'm saying is if you wanna go the (Mostly) smog legal route and you know someone who can cut and weld it wouldnt be too expensive to build your own set-up, the flex pipe would be your most expensive piece.

2geeSEi
12-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I have seen the smog guy look under the car with a mirror on a stick, but on my son's Prelude, the direct fit Magnaflow cat had the C.A.R.B. number facing up, not down like it is supposed to, and he never said anything. The actual rule is that if it was replaced before the law changed (1/1/2008 I think), then it doesn't have to have a C.A.R.B. number. If it looks like a new install, and the smog guy is a real hardass, he can ask for documentation of when it was installed, but that probably won't happen very often. The trick is getting one, since most places won't ship a non-CA cat to California.

Dr_Snooz
12-02-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm running a non-legal carb on my truck (or at least I was before the engine blew). I got it through smog okay, but the smog check only looks at a couple specific scenarios for smog production (15 & 25 MPH, steady speed). It doesn't, for instance, look at smog production under cold running conditions or smog production after engine shut off (dieseling, run-on, etc.). I know the truck was producing a lot of HCs in those situations. The aftermarket CARB testing is more thorough. So at the margins, the CARB approval has some effect in reducing smog.

Aside from that, what 2geeSEI says is pretty much it. A smog tech is supposed to fail you on a visual, but most tech's aren't that vigilant.