PDA

View Full Version : Humming type noise

CzEcHy
12-01-2012, 12:03 AM
K I give up trying to guess the problem I have.

Something in the front of the car hums and vibrates in the pedal slightly while MAINTAINIING speed.

When I let off the gas or give gas it stops. It also seems to only do it between 2000 and 3000 rpm.

Also makes a quick moaning or hum when I shift (when my foot leaves the gas halfway) and DOESNT make the noise when shifting past 3500 (I assume its cause the rpms aren't droppig as fast as I shift and reapply gas to keep it above 3k).

New cv axles and drained and filled tranny with oem fluid.

Throw out ideas. Could it be low on fluid?

Also, tires are new and balanced and aligned. Car has been doing this a few months now.

Dr_Snooz
12-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I had a similar problem on my '76 years ago. Turned out to be the air cleaner lid. I hadn't tightened the nut down enough and it was vibrating. I'd suspect you have something similar going on. Look for outlier stuff.

The only other thing I'd think is a wheel bearing getting tired.

lostscotiaguy
12-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Engine or transmission mounts? Wheel bearing? Does it do it if you hold it at that RPM while sitting still? The fact that you're feeling it through the pedal is really puzzling....

CzEcHy
12-01-2012, 08:48 PM
doesn't happen if sitting still.

Doesn't happen if in gear reving while sitting still either.

Do wheel bearings only make noise at certain rpm? Cause it goes away the more gas you give.

Bluntman
12-02-2012, 06:31 AM
May be a a wheel bearing yes. Here is a simple vid on how to basically check. Left to right play will indicate a bad tie rod (Wiggle), up and down play will indicate a bad wheel bearing (your possible humming noise). You can do this with the wheel on. Hope this helps.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20poOCg64mA

2oodoor
12-02-2012, 07:22 AM
It does sound related to the air cleaner & intake air hardware. When the powerplant is driving it moves so whatever it is could be moving to then cause the condition. It would have to be ahell of a wheelbearing fail to feel it in the pedal wholy crap.
Check power steering hose,belt tension... And anything that may touch the hood when its closed.

Oldblueaccord
12-02-2012, 08:39 AM
The trans oil should be full until it just runs out the fill plug.

Wp

CzEcHy
12-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Solved after 3 months. Ready?

Ac compressor was missing a bolt, causing the compressor to always wiggle cause it wasn't straight with the always moving belt.

Weird it didn't happen while sitting but the only thing I touched was the bolt lol

Dr_Snooz
12-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I figured it was some outlier thing like that. Thanks for reporting back.

Roo, I had a bad front wheel bearing in my '76 Accord that I felt in the pedal only. It was just a regular feeling of roughness as of driving over patches in the road. It was my first car and I didn't know diddly squat about wrenching, but I knew I had a bad wheel bearing. Can't tell you how I knew, but I knew. I took it to the shop and asked them to check it. They told me I was crazy, so I ignored it for another 30k miles. I finally changed it after driving down a narrow, windy mountain road with a steep drop off on one side. The whole way down I wondered what would happen if the bearing broke in that situation and didn't like any of the possible answers. The bearing fell apart as I was disassembling the wheel the next day to fix it. As soon as I pulled the CV axle, the hub fell out. Yikes.