PDA

View Full Version : Simple and cheap solution to bad ignition switch

Legend_master
12-02-2012, 03:37 PM
My ignition starting acting up, there was a dead space between II and III. This made the car die when the key returned to the proper position. Just a $5.00 push button (non locking), and 2 wires. All you have to do is, wire one lead to the white wire, and the other lead to the black and white wire. Works like a charm.

Check out the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azqz4VuIZIQ&feature=g-upl)

A18A
12-02-2012, 04:09 PM
That's one of the better push-button start setups I've seen, looks nice :thumbup: IMO I would wire it to the black/yellow wire (or use a relay) instead of the white one, just so you cant crank the car over without the key being in the II position. good if you have people who like pressing buttons in your car lol

Legend_master
12-02-2012, 04:21 PM
That's one of the better push-button start setups I've seen, looks nice :thumbup: IMO I would wire it to the black/yellow wire (or use a relay) instead of the white one, just so you cant crank the car over without the key being in the II position. good if you have people who like pressing buttons in your car lol

Thanks, I really just wanted the button to look simple, and indiscreet. No button pushing in my car lol, but that is good to let others know about wiring options.

Dr_Snooz
12-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Definitely clean and unobtrusive. Very nice!

Dr_Snooz
12-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Double post. :dunno:

g.frost
12-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Cool, My first car had a starter button: a 1960 Citroen ID19.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_DS

88Accord-DX
12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
I agree with a18a, might be a good idea to wire it up right so someone can't break in your car & drive away. Might consider a kill switch or switch for the fuel pump. I know a buddy with a 68 Chevelle that has like 3 switches that you have to hit cause he is so paranoid about someone trying to steal it. ;)

Legend_master
12-03-2012, 11:56 PM
The key still must be turned to the proper position, so it is no less or more secure then it was before the button install lol. The coolest thing I could do would be to replace the key system with an RFID reader. Then I could set the car to only start if the key was in the proximity.

2geeSEi
12-04-2012, 10:13 AM
I would still replace the switch. Mine got worn, and I didn't have a problem with it cranking, but it started to shut off on me. The first time it did it, I was on the freeway in 70 mph traffic with the shoulder 3 lanes away going uphill (thought I was going to die trying to get off the road). Took a while to figure out what it was, then I found that if I pushed on the key a certain way, that it would keep running. If part of it is worn enough to not work, the others are probably not far behind.

Legend_master
12-04-2012, 03:58 PM
I would still replace the switch. Mine got worn, and I didn't have a problem with it cranking, but it started to shut off on me. The first time it did it, I was on the freeway in 70 mph traffic with the shoulder 3 lanes away going uphill (thought I was going to die trying to get off the road). Took a while to figure out what it was, then I found that if I pushed on the key a certain way, that it would keep running. If part of it is worn enough to not work, the others are probably not far behind.

I plan to, but I completely broke right now lol.

Dr_Snooz
12-05-2012, 07:47 AM
The key still must be turned to the proper position, so it is no less or more secure then it was before the button install lol. The coolest thing I could do would be to replace the key system with an RFID reader. Then I could set the car to only start if the key was in the proximity.

From what I've read about the RFID, that would be less secure than what you have. It's pretty easy to crack that stuff.