PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Southwest Missouri, 88 Accord LX

88AccordLXMan
12-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Hello everyone, I have an 88 Accord LX, carbureted manual that up until a few months ago was my first and only car for 10 years. Incredible piece of engineering. The only significant problem now is that the fifth gear whines when engaged, so I've been using another vehicle as a daily driver, preventing it from getting worse, until I save up to do some transmission work. Just hate the idea of getting rid of it. Anyone have any ideas?

obdriver6
12-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Welcome! It might not have enough oil in the transmission. Have you done a fluid change?

88AccordLXMan
12-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks obdriver! Yeah I've done 2 fluid changes in the last 40,000 miles. The sound was really bad before the last change, its almost gone away now--sounds like a faint whining sound when engaged. A transmission shop suggested putting gear oil in? The mechanic that did the 2nd to last change said he found gear oil in it too. (I'm 3rd owner) Does that do a better job than plain motor oil?

zenapup
12-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Gear oil will absolutely DESTROY 5th gear and eventually more of the transmission (it is way too thick), only use plain motor oil or Honda MTF!

88AccordLXMan
12-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Dang! This is good to know. Sounds like that's what I've had go wrong. Thanks man!

zenapup
12-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Well, you could always get a good used 5th gear from the junkyard, and just buy a new locknut for the mainshaft or countershaft (or both, depending on how bad it is since the nuts are one-time use only, i wouldn't risk it coming off), you only have to take the end cover off (accessible from passengar side wheel well) so it isn't that difficult to do

88AccordLXMan
12-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks zenapup! So you're saying I don't have to do an R&R on the transmission?

zenapup
12-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Nope, I've included the page out of the service manual showing the exploded view of the half of the transmission containing the 5th gear assemblies and some other stuff, your only problem will be getting the gasket for the end cover, but I have one if you want to buy it from me, since i bought a gasket kit (last one in existence when I rebuilt my transmission a few months ago) and didn't end up needing the gasket.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y460/george_powell2/usdm-accord-1989-full_Page_340.jpg

Dr_Snooz
12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
You can use RTV in place of that gasket.

King Peetis
12-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Gear oil will absolutely DESTROY 5th gear and eventually more of the transmission (it is way too thick), only use plain motor oil or Honda MTF!

What weight? Will draining the oil be good enough before adding motor oil or should I flush to eliminate contamination?

Dr_Snooz
12-19-2012, 11:26 AM
It looks like there is only 1/10th of a quart that stays in the trans with a drain and fill, so a drain and fill should be enough.

The deal is that fifth gear sits at the very end of the mainshaft. There is no oil pump, per se, in the trans and the only oiling hole is about 3/32" in diameter. The oil has to travel the entire length of the mainshaft before getting to 5th and won't get there if the oil level is low or if the oil is the wrong weight. It's a minimalist design that works well if you maintain it, but doesn't leave a lot of room for error.

zenapup
12-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Here's a chart:

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y460/george_powell2/338_zpsc0f7f486.jpg

88AccordLXMan
08-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Nope, I've included the page out of the service manual showing the exploded view of the half of the transmission containing the 5th gear assemblies and some other stuff, your only problem will be getting the gasket for the end cover, but I have one if you want to buy it from me, since i bought a gasket kit (last one in existence when I rebuilt my transmission a few months ago) and didn't end up needing the gasket.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y460/george_powell2/usdm-accord-1989-full_Page_340.jpg

Hey zenapup, any chance you still have that gasket? Let me know ASAP.

Thanks!

zenapup
08-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Yep, I still have it. $4 plus shipping, probably wont be that much. See service manual here: http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pdfs/usdm-accord-1989-full.pdf (see page 340 for the one i posted earlier). Let me know where to send it and ill get a cost tomorrow and let you know so you can send it through PayPal if that works for you.