PDA

View Full Version : front reflector delete?

Skellington
12-08-2012, 11:09 PM
I was messing around in the shop and made some small pieces of sheet metal that will fill / cover the gaps in my light lids. I like the front end of my car, but I can’t stand the tacky reflectors, so I might go through with finishing these:
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/tikiroar/Honda/2012-12-08202324.jpg
This pic shows it on. the line doesn’t line up due to it sitting on the bumper line.
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/tikiroar/Honda/2012-12-08202303.jpg
I made these by shearing the sheet metal into rectangles, bent the tops, used a cutoff wheel to slice the apex of bend, then use a hammer and edge of a shop table to get the rounded edge. I then welded the small gap and grinded smooth (not in pics). If I do it right I could make it look factory when done.
I am considering making replacements for the small triangle ones on the hood, and even chopping an old fender for the curves and get rid of the reflectors / blinkers on the sides. I would then go with a LED flush mount light for marker / blinkers. Kinda like the aftermarket ones you see on the sides of motorcycle fairings.

What do you guys think? I am still undecided.

2drSE-i
12-09-2012, 07:38 AM
What do you guys think? I am still undecided.

Personally, I think they help with the flow of the front end. They tie the grill in with the corner lights. But for what you are trying to accomplish, what you've made looks great! If you go forward with this, I would make little pieces for the grill as well. Keep us updated!

charliekuney
12-09-2012, 08:47 AM
I hope you know that the trim (grill corners, eyelids, and corners) do not reflect anything. The only reflective areas on the front of the car are the silver sides of the front turn signals (1988-1989) and the orange on the side. You can easily replace the orange reflective part with the EDM or JDM corners. You might as well just get facelift pieces because they look wayyy better.

Vanilla Sky
12-12-2012, 05:18 AM
I know they say that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all, but I have to say, that looks really off. That molding completes the grille to corner transition. Without that trim, it looks like someone stole something off the front of your car.

2oodoor
12-12-2012, 01:32 PM
I like the idea of custom facelifts, this is somthing thats been done since the beginning of cars.
Keep up the good metal work, but try to look at other cars from the same era and make sure you're not going to end up with it looking like a ford probe for example. A custom bumper definately fits in this project too!

POS carb
12-12-2012, 01:45 PM
I remember there was an accord on the old ezboard forums where the center of the hood was cut flush with those eyelids, it looked good. I think he had a vigor tail on it too

POS carb
12-12-2012, 01:51 PM
trying to remember the details on the car, I'm thinking a Canadian guy, it was a darker color SEi and it had a b20 swap, lowered... some of the older members might remember who I'm talking about and maybe they can dig up a pic

A18A
12-12-2012, 02:02 PM
dark coupe with vigor rear.. would that be digitized1's car? I've only seen photos of the back, i don't know what the front end looked like