PDA

View Full Version : oil problems plz help

romonharvey
12-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey guys ok well 3days ago i changed my oil an yesterday i check my oil an there wasn't any oil in the engine now i use 3 quarts of the Chevron oil an the stp engine treatment an some fuel injector clear so what im asking is were is all the oil going to an theres no leaks anyway that i can see plz help thanks

Legend_master
12-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Hey guys ok well 3days ago i changed my oil an yesterday i check my oil an there wasn't any oil in the engine now i use 3 quarts of the Chevron oil an the stp engine treatment an some fuel injector clear so what im asking is were is all the oil going to an theres no leaks anyway that i can see plz help thanks

Is there any smoke coming from the exhaust while its running?

romonharvey
12-11-2012, 06:07 PM
None that ive seen but i think all the oil is going into my tranny becuz my Trans is leaking oil bad an it doesn't smell right

Legend_master
12-11-2012, 06:20 PM
None that ive seen but i think all the oil is going into my tranny becuz my Trans is leaking oil bad an it doesn't smell right

That is not really possible. Is it leaking from where the transmission meets the engine block? This could be your rear main seal.

carotman
12-11-2012, 08:03 PM
That is not really possible. Is it leaking from where the transmission meets the engine block? This could be your rear main seal.

I think the same thing.

If the transmission was leaking oil badly, there wouldn't be any oil left by now

romonharvey
12-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Ok so how would i check to see to if thats the.problem becuz i thought.it would have been my oil pump being clogged or something an would that explain y my trans is covered in some type of oil

An if the oil was getting into my trans what would case it an how.would i go about fixing it

carotman
12-11-2012, 09:12 PM
If you can, take a picture of the leak.

Is it an auto or manual transmission?

romonharvey
12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Auto an ok

senor honda
12-11-2012, 10:31 PM
I concur with the engine seal letting oil out that would drip down inside the housing of the tranny.
-Bob

Vanilla Sky
12-12-2012, 12:25 AM
The distributor seal is also a major culprit for bad leaks on that side of the engine as well. The oil will dump out right on top of your transmission. I'd add oil, clean everything, and start hunting for leaks. It's the only way to solve them.

romonharvey
12-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Ok so now i checked the oil in my car an theres way to much in the car do u guys have anything on what might have caused this now

Legend_master
12-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Ok so now i checked the oil in my car an theres way to much in the car do u guys have anything on what might have caused this now

how are you checking the oil. Is the car on/off, cold/hot, on an hill?

romonharvey
12-12-2012, 05:17 PM
ever time i checked oil it was atleast 5-10 minutes after driving it an the car still would be warm an the car would be off an on level ground

Legend_master
12-12-2012, 05:47 PM
ever time i checked oil it was atleast 5-10 minutes after driving it an the car still would be warm an the car would be off an on level ground

for one thing if the oil is a QT low it will not show on the dip stick. So you may have been just a QT low, then added 3 QTs. I'd say drain it all and put the proper amount. Do you have an auto or 5speed?

zenapup
12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Auto an ok

This post said he has an automatic transmission

zenapup
12-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Also, if it was a quart low, it would be right on the lower dot on the dipstick, since 1 quart is the difference from the lower mark to the upper mark, at least that's what my 88 Coupe owners manual states

Legend_master
12-12-2012, 05:53 PM
This post said he has an automatic transmission

oops missed that. Well if the leak on the transmission is red fluid then it is transmission oil. If it just looks like regular motor oil, then it is probably the rear main seal.

Legend_master
12-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Also, if it was a quart low, it would be right on the lower dot on the dipstick, since 1 quart is the difference from the lower mark to the upper mark, at least that's what my 88 Coupe owners manual states

This is true, but you are only suppose to fill half way between the 2 dots. This means a QT low would be below the dipstick line.

zenapup
12-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Whenever I do an oil change, with the filter, it always takes 3.7 qts to get to the upper mark, which is full, i have no idea where between the dots came from, that only means that the oil level is ok

zenapup
12-12-2012, 06:06 PM
I'll be doing an oil change on mine tomorrow or Friday, so I will see what it takes to start registering on the dipstick, just to see

Legend_master
12-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Whenever I do an oil change, with the filter, it always takes 3.7 qts to get to the upper mark, which is full, i have no idea where between the dots came from, that only means that the oil level is ok

I learned whenever I first started working on Hondas, but I was re-enforced when I started working at Honda. Here is from the manual, read line 2.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/0B0A4985-3704-4E35-B883-69CAA7EACAAF-3340-000001CD30176C30.jpg

zenapup
12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Line 3 says to fill it to the upper mark if it is low, therefore implying that the upper mark is full, and that anywhere between the two dots is sufficient, i myself keep it on the upper dot, never have had any problems

zenapup
12-12-2012, 06:32 PM
oops missed that. Well if the leak on the transmission is red fluid then it is transmission oil. If it just looks like regular motor oil, then it is probably the rear main seal.

Could also be the oil pan gasket, but that is more unlikely unless it is leaking around the gasket in other places too, usually they harden up and no longer seal, thus causing an oil leak

romonharvey
12-12-2012, 09:10 PM
When i checked my oil the day of my oil Change it was in the middle of the to dots an the next day i checked it it was way blow the the dot an really thin like i never put oil in it an i add a qt an checked it again an it was in the middle again an it was the same thing ever time i checked until this morning an it was a qt above the top dot idk if my oil pump was clogged or what an should i drain it out an redo the oil change again or should i just drain some of the oil out