PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Honda Accord LX M/T Drop

Karhoot
12-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Hey guys new to the forums here, and sure to make myself known. :-)
Just picked up a BEAUTIFUL 1989 Honda Accord LX with 56k on the dash and it needs a clutch unfortunately. I was scouting around on the forums and didn't really find any threads that could do some helping. I know the process in doing a transmission removal on a RWD car, but not too familiar with Hondas. Does anyone have a write-up of some sort?
That'd be appreciated. :))

http://i48.tinypic.com/30l18nm.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2heeb8h.jpg

Legend_master
12-12-2012, 09:50 PM
If you have the proper tools, a clutch change is not to difficult. Have you checked to make sure the clutch cable is adjusted properly? Posted below is a link to the repair manual for our cars. Its very detailed, and will tell you exactly what you need to know. Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

USDM factory Accord repair manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php).

POS carb
12-13-2012, 03:22 PM
dropping the trans on these cars is a pain in the ass in my opinion. I have an engine crane so I prefer to pull the motor and trans out together.
To remove the trans you need to remove the drive axles and lower suspension components. It's not easy but it is possible. Not sure where to find a full writeup but feel free to ask any ?s here

Karhoot
12-14-2012, 05:04 PM
I actually did end up dropping the transmission with minimal problems. I work in a shop, so I had ease to everything. All I really did was loosen the bolts, remove the axles to get them out of the damned way, and pryed that SOB out. Now, as for putting it back in, a whole different story. What I didn't do was label the bolts, and I'm stuck on what goes where, and how many bolts are to the actual bellhousing > block. Is there a specific size, length and head size that goes from the bell to the block?
ALSO big question.
I did end up getting the clutch kit from Napa, as it's cheap and not too bad. I did look at my flywheel as well as my pressure plate, and both were smooth, with no heat spots. I hear a lot of controversy about getting my flywheel resurfaced, so I had one of the fellas I work with hit it with a cookie disc, and scrape it up a little, just for that friction. Is it completely necessary to get my flywheel resurfaced when I'm installing a new clutch?

Taylor Smith
12-14-2012, 05:20 PM
ive heard that if your talented you can use a brake lathe to resurface it if you work in a shop you should have access to one

Karhoot
12-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Understood, but that wasn't the question lol. :-)

Legend_master
12-14-2012, 10:48 PM

If you plan on keeping the car, I would say take the time/money and have the flywheel re-surfaced while its all out of the car. You also have the opportunity to have it lightened as well.

2oodoor
12-15-2012, 12:46 PM

Welcome to the forums
If you-re familiar with RWD transmission R&R then you should have no issues figuring out the bolt question, not a hellovalot of difference in logic there. You wanna Make sure that cable gets adjusted corrctly or the clutch will not last.

Dr_Snooz
12-15-2012, 02:27 PM
The resurfacing is to remove surface irregularities, dips, bumps, etc. After the cookie disk, I would have it resurfaced.

I had a lot of difficulty installing my trans. It has to be installed absolutely perfectly straight. If not, it will bind and seize and you'll curse a lot and possibly bend something. It's a two-man job. Possibly a one-man with a good trans jack job.

Karhoot
12-15-2012, 03:34 PM
So I actually ended up finishing her up :-) boy was that a task.
Please guys, if you're going to do a clutch, label and remember what you take apart. xD
/closed