PDA

View Full Version : Shaking in the front end, and sputtering

Karhoot
12-15-2012, 03:33 PM
I can post a video if that will help a little, but I actually just did my clutch on my 1989 Honda Accord LX. I don't know what is causing it, but I can be coasting at around 15-20 mph, and my steering wheel will begin to shake from left to right. Any diag. for this? It's confusing, and it gets no worse after 3rd gear (40+ mph)
Might I add, my vehicle came equipped with the 2 barrel carb. Is there anything I can do to "tune" it? I'm getting sputtering, almost like my car wants to stall out. It never happens while driving, only when I'm idling.
Please help!

2oodoor
12-15-2012, 04:59 PM
How much did you drive it before the clutch job? Did you pop out the tie rod end? I would check the things you had to move or remove to get the trans out. Could be the a tire too.

These carbs are a mess, check vacuum hoses all 23755 of them lOl seriously check for vac leaks, clean and lube carb parts with a good carb spray and wd 40. Then see how it does, there is no avoiding removing that air cleaner assembly a dozen times to figure and tinker.

Karhoot
12-15-2012, 07:35 PM
How much did you drive it before the clutch job? Did you pop out the tie rod end? I would check the things you had to move or remove to get the trans out. Could be the a tire too.

These carbs are a mess, check vacuum hoses all 23755 of them lOl seriously check for vac leaks, clean and lube carb parts with a good carb spray and wd 40. Then see how it does, there is no avoiding removing that air cleaner assembly a dozen times to figure and tinker.

Literally. Less than 50 miles. LOL. It's running real nice though. I'm glad of my work, considering it's my first clutch job and I did it without direction. It seems like it could be a tie rod/tire issue. Maybe the steelies are set incorrectly? Maybe imbalanced. I'll bring it to work Monday and check it out.
As for my POS carb, when I'm idling, before I put it into gear, I have to literally rev the engine from it's ~300 RPM, to around 1500-2000 before slowly releasing off the clutch pedal to actually move my car. It's like sputtering and almost stalling, SOUNDING like a misfire. But if I'm not mistaken, misfires are noticed when driving as well, correct? Because this only does it while idling in 1st gear, or in neutral. *ALSO, it was doing it before I did my clutch..*