PDA

View Full Version : Any readers out there?

Shawn87AccordDx
12-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Just curious. What's everyone reading?

Here's my current list:
Accidental Pharisees by Larry Osborne
Pharisectomy by Peter Haas
The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legend_master
12-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Just curious. What's everyone reading?

Here's my current list:
Accidental Pharisees by Larry Osborne
Pharisectomy by Peter Haas
The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

This thread lol.

2oodoor
12-17-2012, 01:27 PM
I refuse to knowingly read fiction. Most of my reading is research related or philisophical.

2ndGenGuy
12-17-2012, 02:05 PM
The last thing I read was the 1989 Honda Accord service manual. :)

Shawn87AccordDx
12-17-2012, 02:59 PM
I refuse to knowingly read fiction. Most of my reading is research related or philisophical.

I mainly read for work and personal enrichment/development. Gotta take s break from it from time to time though.

Dr_Snooz
12-17-2012, 08:51 PM
I've been reading some Old Testament apocryphal works, like the Book of Enoch and the Book of Adam. It's crazy stuff. After all my reading/viewing into ancient astronauts, pseudoscience, etc. it's really tripping me out because it's all kinda lining up together.

I need to do some good reading on astrology, but I don't know where to start. I'm not interested in fortune telling, star charts or anything, so that narrows the field down to pretty much nothing at all. I'm interested in ancient astrology, like how did the ancients read the stars? Why do all the ancient monolithic structures align with the stars? How did the wise men know what Jesus' star signified, and so forth. I might just have to gird up my loins and slog through all the fortune telling stuff to find it.

King Peetis
12-18-2012, 07:11 PM
I've been reading some Old Testament apocryphal works, like the Book of Enoch and the Book of Adam. It's crazy stuff. After all my reading/viewing into ancient astronauts, pseudoscience, etc. it's really tripping me out because it's all kinda lining up together.

I need to do some good reading on astrology, but I don't know where to start. I'm not interested in fortune telling, star charts or anything, so that narrows the field down to pretty much nothing at all. I'm interested in ancient astrology, like how did the ancients read the stars? Why do all the ancient monolithic structures align with the stars? How did the wise men know what Jesus' star signified, and so forth. I might just have to gird up my loins and slog through all the fortune telling stuff to find it.

Ditto! Lots of DIY, educational stuff, self help, no fiction unless you count the occasional comic book:omg:

dieselgus
12-19-2012, 07:53 AM
The Better Angerls of our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker. Little light cognitive psychology reading for fun. The Language Instinct is also an excellent book of his.

Slowly adopting a transition from dead tree to electronic book format in my world. First book I had to put onto my tablet was of course The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Dr_Snooz
12-19-2012, 11:01 AM
OMG! I think I heard Pinker on a radio interview. Isn't his thesis that the 20th century is the least violent century in human history when measured by violent crime (I think)? He uses that to speculate that we are becoming less violent as a species.

The whole time I kept thinking about all the genocides in the 20th century: http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/dictat.html. I just couldn't take him seriously.

What do you think?

Shawn87AccordDx
12-19-2012, 11:22 AM
OMG! I think I heard Pinker on a radio interview. Isn't his thesis that the 20th century is the least violent century in human history when measured by violent crime (I think)? He uses that to speculate that we are becoming less violent as a species.

The whole time I kept thinking about all the genocides in the 20th century: http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/dictat.html. I just couldn't take him seriously.

What do you think?

Interesting.

niles
12-19-2012, 12:19 PM
I used to really enjoy a good pseudoscience read, they would get me all worked up, especially ancient astronauts. Then I read "The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark" by Carl Sagan. It changed my life forever, mostly by bringing me back to reality.

dieselgus
12-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Ahh. In a way, yeah we are less brutally violent in modern society. Or perhaps we are just more efficient with how it is carried out, trading clubs or knives for guns and bombs.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2