PDA

View Full Version : automatic turbo?

romonharvey
12-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Hey i was reading around on the forum an i was wondering can i have a rear mounted turbo with an auto trans or do i have to swap to a 5speed

89T
12-19-2012, 11:17 AM
It can be done with the automatic trans, but the spool time on takeoff suffers.

Legend_master
12-19-2012, 12:03 PM
If you do it, I wouldn't put to large of a turbo on there. Like 89t said there will be a lot of lag between rear mount, and the auto. A large turbo would make it even worse.

A18A
12-20-2012, 02:16 AM
put a good cooler on the gearbox too

redneck
12-20-2012, 06:29 AM
do it and take pix lol thats going to be my next project. a turbo coupe auto for the wife.

89T
12-20-2012, 07:28 AM
My car was automatic when I first put a turbo on it. Speaking from experience it was fast up top, but the take off really sucked. You could take the torque converter to a transmission shop and have and have the stall moved up a 1000 or 1500rpm. That alone will help the take off and spool time. All and all. I would rather have kept the automatic. If I could manually shift into first gear. What really sucked was starting off in drive and letting it shift into second then manually droping the gear shifter into second to hold the gear longer before giong into drive.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Vanilla Sky
12-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Add a big cooler to the transmission, and you should be okay with only a small increase in power. I would avoid a rear mount, though. With the low pricing of the cast manifolds in the Mosselman GB, I'd go that route. You'll have less lag, and you'll spend less setting it up.

89T
12-22-2012, 07:50 AM
To add, I would not even bother with an intercooler on a low boost, Low power, setup. Chances are you will do the larger injectors. That will aid in cylinder temp. I am not saying that you need injectors. Most will say you do, but in reality you don't. I ran stock injectors on 8 to 10psi with out leaning out. Just get a quality 1:1 fuel pressure regulator.

I know i went a little off topic...