PDA

View Full Version : Strange High Speed qwirk

dosh8er
10-21-2002, 07:36 PM
I have noticed within the past few days, that after driving down the highway at 70 mph, and braking on the exit ramp, towards the end of the ramp, when I have almost stopped, my lights go dimmer (my alternator is fine, I tested it out with a machine at my ex-work.) and my OIL light, yes that's right, OIL light comes on and goes off... sorta flickers.. not an extremely steady. It's strange... I don't really understand why.. maybe the idle of the engine is making the oil light come on? (like when you stall/almost stall out by releasing the clutch and givin' her no gas... except i'm not stalling her out)

anyone have similar experiences?

OTOH, I have a wierd vibration now. I'm thinking it can't be the stretch of hwy i'm driving. But it's constant.. (i fix my brake vibration, and now i have another! damn) I don't think it's CV joints (axles) cause thsoe would act up in turns. But this is a constant higher speed vibration..

I know I need to do my upper ball joints in the front, could those make a little vibration? My car rides like crap down certain redneck infested, bumpy-ass roads nearby. (and that terrible sound of the suspension telling me i'm a piece of $hit for ignoring it)

stupid car... i hate winter. (even though it's not quite here yet)

shepherd79
10-21-2002, 07:48 PM
vibration could be cause of unbalanced tires, or tires with low pressure in them.
and the lights dim, i would say clean the ground cable and see if it helps.

ACCORD EX
10-22-2002, 01:06 AM
i agree with Alex ! balance your tires first to deal with vibration !

MIKE

dosh8er
10-22-2002, 08:58 AM
i've only had these tires for about.... pause...

HOLY $HIT! :eek: I've already put 7k mi on these friggin' tires.. damn.. i thought they didn't have that many miles!!!

hrm... could the upper ball joints still make vibration?

SiR
10-22-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by dosh8er
hrm... could the upper ball joints still make vibration?

Yup, even more so if there is lots of play in the upper ball joint. Your gonna after replace it soon anyhow. I hade a problem, but not as vibration. But the wheel would like to turn a little to the left and right. Not enough to steer it self, but annoying. I replace all 4 upper joints recently and the left tie-rod. Also the lower left joint. They help it a lot. How are your front bearings? They might be the most of the problem in vibrations.

Rooz