PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start, carb shoots flames!!!

grappletech
12-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Alright guys. I bought this car for 500 a few months back and it hadn't been started in 4 years. I got it to start by only replacing the battery fuse lol. Poured a little Gas in the carb and boom it started and the fuel pump worked fine.

Fast forward to me moving/driving it to my house and replacing the rear brake shoes. I had it on Jack stands. When I went to start the car it only cranked. I checked the spark wires, and replaced them since the old ones were just busted to crumbs.

Thinking that I wasn't getting fuel i hit the throttle and can see fuel go into the bowl. I opened the choke flap all the way and tried to start the engine. It cranked and cranked and cranked some more, and nothing. so then I looked closer through the gap between the hood and engine. I was seeing sparks/ and flames shooting out of the top of the carb... WTF!!!! I need help like asap. I want to drive this honda monsta

Dr_Snooz
12-21-2012, 09:05 PM
No help till vids!! :rofl:

That's obviously not a common issue, so you're going to have to investigate it. I would be looking for frayed or exposed wiring (possibly from rat damage). If checking out the flames doesn't reveal the problem, then you're going to be working with a basic no start condition. You need fuel, spark and timing to get it to start, so find out which of those is missing, and report back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBUYs539cy4

At this point, I'll say be braced for a carb replacement. If it burned real good, then it could have melted stuff and made a real mess. Look into the Weber swap if you don't have emissions tests where you are.

POS carb
12-22-2012, 12:47 PM
flames shooting out the carb while cranking is usually a timing (unlikely in your case) or firing order issue, I think you mixed up some wires

POS carb
12-22-2012, 01:04 PM
^click^

Cylinder #1 is closest to the timing belt (driver's side)
Tec style cap will have lines IIII II I III
Hitachi style cap will have numbers 4 2 1 3

grappletech
12-22-2012, 03:04 PM
come on guys. dont insult my intelligence that bad lol. I have the correct order. I checked compression and cyl 2 was a little low 110 the rest were 140. but that still should not cause a problem like that. Also I checked each spark plug, they were sparking strongly. maybe its a carb issue.

2oodoor
12-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Fuel starvation is my number one prognosis when a car spits up the intake, unless other work was done beforehand.

g.frost
12-23-2012, 10:00 AM
'Shooting flames out the carb' and the picture of distributor cap POS carb posted had me thinking maybe you have a bad distributor cap; They can develop cracks, and the #4 plug can get a spark directly from the coil on this type of cap.
....anyway, something has to be igniting that fuel at the wrong timing. If not a misplaced wire, the spark might be jumping right there. This is a familiar problem with this type of cap. If your wires were that bad, maybe the cap needs replacing too.

grappletech
12-25-2012, 09:39 AM
I replaced the cap and rotor also. When I changed the wires