PDA

View Full Version : 89 lx is gonna put me in the crazy house

Gentry09
12-22-2012, 06:23 AM
I don't even know where to start, first of all let me make it clear that I'm not a mechanic, so any replies that sound like a service manual will only further my frustration .. lol. . I have changed the water and fuel pump, the timing belt, plugs and wires, distributor cap and button, the fuel filter at the firewall, and I have spent a fortune in sea foam trying to get it to perform like it should. . Gas mileage is good, it idles at 1000 while in gear and in park it goes to bout 1350, two steps on pedal first thing in the morning and it fires up and runs for 5 seconds and then I have to crank it again and pump the gas to keep her running until it gets warm.. it smokes and sputters for 5-8 min and warms up and idles at about 2500 until I tap the pedal and then it resumes its regular 1300.. I can deal with all of this and drive it without worrying about leaving me stranded, but wen I take off froma stoplight and rreally get on it, it sputters and bogs and won't ever kick in to that "powerband" and perform like it used to and that has got me wanting to buy a new Carb or crush it one. Lol. Its only got 126k and I'd love to drive it 200 more but I've spent too much by just throwing parts at it, I'm just posting this to see if someone can relate to my problem and say hey, u need to change the. ..... ?? The car doesn't skip or cut off after its warm, the antifreeze is topped off, new air filter, it just sucks to know that its prolly something minor I could do and it would really get up and go like it should.. any help or suggestions would be great, but if you need to know the compression on number 2 cylinder, or anything more technical than changing the valve cover gasket and minor things like that, then I guess I'm stuck with taking it to a shop and paying the guy to chase the gremlin.. its worth a shot and I am hoping to learn alot here. .

Keachman1
12-22-2012, 08:28 AM
It sounds like the vacuum advance on the distributor is not working correctly or a possible vacuum leak on the carb or vacuum lines will cause it to bog like that also. Check that the timing is set properly also.

Gentry09
12-22-2012, 09:55 AM
I actually have a spare distributor from a salvage yard, the vacuum advance you're talking about, is that the part attached to the dist. That has two lines going to? Timing may be my culprit, didn't really consider that.. ill change that vacuum advance and see if it improves. ..thanks.

Gentry09
12-29-2012, 09:55 AM
It sounds like the vacuum advance on the distributor is not working correctly or a possible vacuum leak on the carb or vacuum lines will cause it to bog like that also. Check that the timing is set properly also.

OK, I changed the vacuum advance and nothing, the guy at the shop quickly checked timing and said ur good, now I am almost sure its my choke assembly cause it isn't cranking cold anymore and smokes and idles high and bogs and its slow.. I am gonna clean it with Carb cleaner and I read to plug the lines to vacuum and it should close? Then there's the heater spring thing, omg what have I done to deserve this. ..

Dr_Snooz
12-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Check that your venturis are tight: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?78913-2k-3k-hessitation. Beyond that, you might have to sit down with the manual and start testing all the little electric controllers on the carb. Sorry to throw the manual at you, but I don't think you're going to get around it.