PDA

View Full Version : power antenna

accordfan
12-23-2012, 02:02 PM
hey guys i got a power antenna but it kinda broke on me lol. i went to the dealear and they said its going to ost me 225$ i was freaking out lol does anyone know where i can get one cheaper because i fidn there ripping me off

Hauntd ca3
12-23-2012, 02:19 PM
you should be able to just buy the mast.
you may have to pull the aerial assembly out to remove any broken parts of the old one, but its no major mission

accordfan
12-23-2012, 02:31 PM
where can i buy that

Stealth
12-23-2012, 05:49 PM

accordfan
12-23-2012, 08:47 PM
my motor is fine its the antenna that is cracked in half

Dr_Snooz
12-23-2012, 10:40 PM
If the dealer is offering to sell you a motorized antenna, then it's a good price. You'll never find one at the yard that isn't already broken and you'll break the first half-dozen unbroken ones you find while trying to remove them.

BUT, the motorized antennas are nearly impossible to install. The tube in the A-pillar is just slightly too small for the mast and it's filled with hooks and barbs that will snag the new mast on the way in. I had to use two strings at the same time (one for the antenna extender and one for the radio wire) and all my powers of swearing to get my new mast down the tube. The motor is tucked up under the dash and is very difficult to reach. It's hard to disconnect the old mast, and harder still to reconnect the new one.

Most guys go with a manual mast. They are a lot cheaper and easier to install. I spent probably a year looking for my current motorized mast at the yard. I spent a lot of time reconditioning it too. It worked for a few months, but now requires a helping hand to make it up and down. The manual mast is by far your best bet.

accordfan
12-26-2012, 07:27 PM
so i guess i have to get it at the dealer for that price then :P

Dr_Snooz
12-26-2012, 10:13 PM
The manual masts are around on the web for pretty cheap (~$15-30?). Trust me, you really have to want a motorized antenna to get one. Buying it will be the least of your hardships. Far better to install a cheap manual mast than to have a nice pretty new motorized mast sitting in a box because you couldn't get it installed. Go try the install on a car at the junkyard if you want to get a feel for it before spending the money.