PDA

View Full Version : How low should i go?

RedneckRicer
10-21-2002, 09:14 PM
how much of a drop do you think i could pull of with 17's and a 40 series tire? the front looks higher than the rear and i'm not liking that much, so now i'm looking into springs. and i wanna know if a 1" or so drop would mean replacement of my KYB struts?

Jims 86LXI HB
10-21-2002, 11:36 PM
All lowering springs are stiffer. The KYB GR-2's are not valved stiffer than stock, they are a oem replacement spring and should not be used with lowering springs. Take a look at thier own words they use to discribe thier own product. All it says is the GR-2 is for those that want a smooth comfortable ride and want to move to gas performance. Even tokico H.P.'s do not have enough power for lowering springs in the front (they're ok in the rear) and that's even with the softest lowering springs made for our cars. The way to do if your going to lower the car is to at least use Koni's in the front. I'm not saying you have to have them just for performance sake, but to allow the car to ride and drive as if it came from the factory lowered. No bounce over anything, ever and much better control over really ruff pavement.

What offset are your 17's? If your tires can't rub if the suspension uses all it's travel, you can lower the car as much as you dare. How much lower would you really want to make you happy? Would you like to just lower the front of the car and not the rear?

RedneckRicer
10-22-2002, 02:43 PM
i thought my car had been lowered, but i guess it hasn't, les schwab told me it looked like it had been lowered. but with the 17's it looks really high, especially the front. i'm not sure of the offset on my rims. i was considering my options, because if i'm gonna lower it i don't want to half ass it. i went through all the trouble to swap a 5 speed in and do it right to save the car ( auto trannys just blew up thnx to aamco ) so i don't think i should start screwin it up, lol. I wanna drop it but i don't want to have to worry about rubbing. i was thinking something like 1.5" in the front and 1" in the rear. i think it'd close up the gap between tire and wheel well enough to make it look cleaner. i live out in the woods, hence the name, so the fenderwells are generally muddy and dirty, so i wanna close em' up a bit. what do you think would be my best route?

BTW.. the car rides pretty stiff, more because of the 40 series tires now, but even with 14"s it wasn't ever bouncy

Neuspeed87lx
10-22-2002, 04:02 PM
2.25 drop all around is what i got with 17's on my 3g .... no rubbin at all ....

Jims 86LXI HB
10-23-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by RedneckRicer

BTW.. the car rides pretty stiff, more because of the 40 series tires now, but even with 14"s it wasn't ever bouncy

Well when I say, "No bounce over anything, ever" I not just talking about being bouncy. A suspension should never bounce for any reason, ever. Small, med, large bumps, or comming off a speed bump or a large upheavel in the road. Whenever the suspension absorbs anything it should do so and never bounce, even once afterwords.

Now something I don't understand, in a previous post you said you thought the suspension was pretty soft and you wanted to know what you could do to make it stiffer.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=31363#post31363
3rd post up from the bottom

Comment on the above, to soft or stiff thing, so I can get a better idea of where to go. I've got some idea's, and all lowering springs are stiffer (with reason), but I wouldn't want to recommend something that's to stiff.

You might want to look at the post I did on Lowering spring stiffness % over stock spring stiffness. Gives you a idea of how much stiffer the lowering springs are.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7856

Mike89Accordcom
10-23-2002, 12:54 AM
Yeah I got 2.25". I love it. Sits real nice, and no rubbin. Even 2" is good too.

Toby
10-23-2002, 05:59 AM
2" drop looks good