PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord Automatic Transmission Swap from Prelude

89AccordLX
10-22-2002, 01:14 PM
My automatic transmission on my 1989 Honda Accord LX (carb) recently went out. I talked to a mechanic who said the same year Prelude transmission would fit perfectly. After a full installation with minor problems, we have now come to find that the shift linkage doesn't line up. With a little bit of rigging we can get it into gear, but it won't get into park. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be appreciated - thanks a lot!
~Matt Johnson

PhydeauX
10-22-2002, 05:20 PM
Try a cable from a prelude.

andy

89AccordLX
10-22-2002, 05:28 PM
He tried the shift cable out of the prelude we got it from. It seems to be that the shifters are different, I was mostly trying to see if anyone else tried to do this. I mean the car drives I - I just can't get all gears, especially park.

~Matt

PhydeauX
10-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Can you swap the shifter itself? Is the cable too short as when you have the car in park according to the shifter its actually in reverse? Or is there just not enough travel in it and when you put it in park it just hasn't moved the cable far enough?

andy

89AccordLX
10-22-2002, 05:41 PM
The cable isn't moved far enough to reach into the detent for park. The shifter can't be swapped because it mounts differently with the cable. If it's in D2 the cable isn't long enough to move all the way into park.

89AccordLX
10-23-2002, 02:40 PM
Hey guys, I just found out today that my prelude tranny is actually an '87. Don't know if that helps anyone. It seems that that the problem is the throw on the arm of the tranny differs from the throw on the shifter.. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated!

:rice:

smufguy
10-23-2002, 08:22 PM
fuck that, i dont know shit about auto trannies.

WE have probs with the lude tranny not lining up with the block. though the tranny would line up with a push and pull, but its not gonna line up internally.

thats why we go with a integra tranny (1st gen) higher gear ratios too. and thats on manual, dont know about autos.

88LXi68
10-23-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
fuck that, i dont know shit about auto trannies.

WE have probs with the lude tranny not lining up with the block. though the tranny would line up with a push and pull, but its not gonna line up internally.

thats why we go with a integra tranny (1st gen) higher gear ratios too. and thats on manual, dont know about autos.

HUH?!?!

I have an 86 Lude Si tranny on my car it lined up PERFECT. About the teg tranny...we only use the teg gears. We dont use the WHOLE teg tranny, we use an accord bell housing.

smufguy
10-23-2002, 08:35 PM
man.......... really? do u have a auto or a manual? and yeah, we use all the first 4 gears from the teg and the 5th is our stock.

88LXi68
10-23-2002, 08:38 PM
i had an auto but converted to manual using the A2K5 '86 Prelude Si tranny.

rocky2
10-24-2002, 04:48 PM
It sounds to me you only need a very little extra length to make it right. Maybe a half inch. And I know that my 3-g has extra long bending cables. Try to tie strap it tight while pulling cable closer/farther. Or redirect the cable.

PhydeauX
10-26-2002, 06:08 AM
Mayby shortening the arm on the selector on the side of the trans will help. Any 2.0 gen2 lude tranny will bolt up to a 3g motor no problem. It will take the 3g axles and fit in the 3g engine compartment. I think 89accordLX is the first to try this with the auto tranny and has run into the problems that anyone trying a swap for the first time runs into. Once he solves it he can write a how to and others can follow in his foot steps. Or he can not write one and then someone can come do it again with out his help, and steal the glory like I did with that teg trans. You can use the 5th gear from the teg trans if you want. It doesn't matter. Just effects the cruiseing rpm and highway gas milage. Ok the accord 5th is going to give you a higher top speed, but its going to take you longer to get up there. I don't condone highway racing anyway so stick with the accord's 5th and have more gas left in the tank for racing when you get to the track.

andy

smufguy
10-27-2002, 10:44 AM
he said he has a 89 accord and that his mechanic said that the lude from the same year, which implies 89. But u had a 86 lude. different gen my man. He was not talking about 86 lude. Besides, like its said in the faq-s, different block and trannies cannot line up perfectly.