PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Troubleshooting Manual

jlaccord89lxi
10-22-2002, 06:32 PM
anyone have one of these old manuals??? I'm getting sick of constant electrical bullshite. First my chimes stopped working and now my dome light does not come on when i open the door, but it comes on when i push the switch to the "always on" position, so i know the bulb works (this is how my alarm is activated so its kinda bad to have a non-working domelight). And before anyone says it...my door switch works fine. Just wondering if the manual says anything about this lovely situation?:mad: :rant: :wtf:

bigpoppa88
10-22-2002, 08:45 PM
why not trying replacing the "black box" under the dash, get a cheappy from the junkyard or swap with another 3G to see if it's the problem, also the dimmer control/ light chime under the steering column panel that's just above your right knee.

smufguy
10-23-2002, 08:53 AM
the dimmer control is for ur dash and instrument paned on the center console, not ur dome light. i dont know if the door open warning lights come on, on ur guage cluster when u open the door.

DanG86LX
10-23-2002, 07:54 PM
<<<... my dome light does not come on when i open the door, but it comes on when i push the switch to the "always on" position>>>

Does courtesy light work (the one on the door)?
Does the "door open" light (LED) on the safety indicator work ( on dashboard where the little car is shown)? What about when u turn the ignition on, does all the lights (LEDs) on little car light up?
Does this happen when u open any door?
Does the safety indicator show when u open the trunk ?
I'm asking all this Q cuz this safety indicator might be faulty.

As for the chime, is tied to "side marker" box, although it share the same ground with safety indicator: GND-12 but then a bunch of other lights share same ground.

jlaccord89lxi
10-24-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by DanG86LX
<<<... my dome light does not come on when i open the door, but it comes on when i push the switch to the "always on" position>>>

Does courtesy light work (the one on the door)?
Does the "door open" light (LED) on the safety indicator work ( on dashboard where the little car is shown)? What about when u turn the ignition on, does all the lights (LEDs) on little car light up?
Does this happen when u open any door?
Does the safety indicator show when u open the trunk ?
I'm asking all this Q cuz this safety indicator might be faulty.

As for the chime, is tied to "side marker" box, although it share the same ground with safety indicator: GND-12 but then a bunch of other lights share same ground.

OKAY....i did a few "tests" tonight when i got home from work before i got out of the car and here's what is happening in a nutshell:
- the door switch works poorly so it will be replaced, but it is working most of the time.
- i've discovered that when the car is turned OFF, and if the door switch works at the time, the light on the door panel as well as the dome light are very dim and the chimes do not work (which is what started all these threads)
- however, the passenger door operates normal.
- i know the door switch can only either work or not work, but when it works, only certain funtions that it triggers will operate properly. For example, i left the car running and opened the door and the dome light came on as well as the door open light on the dash. But then the next time i opened the door, neither worked, but the switch came out as usual. Also, if the car is running and the door is opened, there is a beep-beep-beep sound that ALWAYS works, whether the dome light and dash light come on or not.
- But when the car is off, it is completely random what will work and what will not work.
- IN ALL CASES, the headlight-on chime and the key-in-ignition chime do not work.
- basically what i'm saying is that the door switch doesn't do what it is supposed to do when the car is off. When the car is on, it works fine.
It sounds to me like there is some kind of a relay that is broken and/or something is not getting grounded at engine shut-off (which means a relay anyway). DanG86LX had mentioned some kind of a relay that i never heard of before, could you detail that a little more for me (location etc.)....as well as WHERE this ground is that a bunch of stuff is grounded to so i can check that. I already know about the grey box behind the stereo and the 2 black boxes attached to the steering column cover under the dash. i hope there's something else cause those things work fine. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

sorry this is long...

DanG86LX
10-25-2002, 01:27 PM
U found driver's door switch IFFY but before replacing check the connection to the chassis. The switch is grounding the wire going to it, so it might be rusted mounting screw or something like that. If the switch itself is bad, u may be able to repair it, polishing the contacts etc.

Otherwise, i'll get through some of ur tests, based on how they work on my car:
"...i've discovered that when the car is turned OFF, and if the door switch works at the time, the light on the door panel as well as the dome light are very dim and the chimes do not work"
Under those condition my chimes didn't either.

"..Also, if the car is running and the door is opened, there is a beep-beep-beep sound that ALWAYS works, whether the dome light and dash light come on or not."
On mine beeper doesn't. Instead beeper goes when ignition switch is on 1st (accessories) and door is opened.

".. IN ALL CASES, the headlight-on chime and the key-in-ignition chime do not work.
"
Mine does, except key-in-ignition warning done by beeper.

"..basically what i'm saying is that the door switch doesn't do what it is supposed to do when the car is off"
Mine neither! But the Q is what is supposed to do beside the door and dome lights (which are ok)?

Both beeper and chime a handled by this black box they call "Integrated Control Unit" below the heater unit. Sorry i call it "side marker" but that's just another function of it. I checked Paul's (AERODECK) website and those pages (25-83..85) are missing. If you PM ur email, I'll try to scan and send them to u over the weekend.

Dan