PDA

View Full Version : Engine not starting-help!

gosnell
12-29-2012, 10:11 AM
I have an 89 accord lx-i 5sp. About 5 days ago the car started and would run but the vacuum advance was broken. I went to the junkyard and got a distributor that has been inside on a shelf. I replaced the distributor and the car cranks and sounds like its about to start but it just isn't. I put a new distributor cap on it too. I put the old distributor on since it started last time it was on and it did the same thing as the new one. I tested the spark plugs and there is spark going to them. It has fresh gas and ran fine last week. any ideas?

It sounds exactly like this car at the beginning of the video but it isn't starting. -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z9yNDY_4xs

Legend_master
12-29-2012, 12:39 PM
when you turn the key to the II position, can you hear a click under the dashboard and a hum from the rear of the car?

Ffatlac3
01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
This may or may not help but I have just had a similar issue today. Car always starts first turn of the key without fail. However, this morning I went to it and although it cranked over fine it just would not fire. Checked fuel,spark etc and everything was fine. Didn't notice at first but after a good look around I noticed that one of the two vacuum pipes that connects to the plastic can on the side of the distributor, the one nearest front of the car...which I assume is for vac advance... had snapped off at the base. I got a friend to hold it on whilst cranking and hey presto, car started with no trouble at all. It would then idle okay (if a little lower) without the hose connected but the moment the throttle was depressed it would cut out. I glued the nub of the plastic connector back on and used some RTV sealant at the joint just to be sure. Car works just fine now. I was very surprised that such a tiny vac leak would completely disable the car.

zenapup
01-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Are you sure you have the wires in the right firing order? Cylinder 1 is closest to the accessory belts