PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan

ssophab
10-23-2002, 07:13 AM
I need to replace my oil pan. It's leaking real bad. I tried an oversized bolt but it's still leaking. How much have you paid for an oil pan replacement?

Thanks

Dutchboy
10-23-2002, 08:41 AM
huh? the bolt is leaking?
or is it the pan itself?

did you put a seal on the bolt? there should be a little plastic or some sort of washer type seal that you can buy at the nearst parts store that needs to be on the bolt to seal it.
just get a seal for it first....there probably like 1$ rather than pay a shop to replace the whole pan

otherwise all you have to do is replace the pan gasket....

BEn

Dutchboy
10-23-2002, 08:42 AM
oh and this is in the wrong section too....'

um i think its more technical

BEn

toastyghost
10-23-2002, 09:40 AM
well it could be performance since the car definitely isn't going to perform well without oil :lol

Mantis88LX
10-23-2002, 09:41 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1870116519 12 hours left!!

ssophab
10-23-2002, 10:01 AM
It's leaking from the draining area as well as the sealant areas (sides, near the screws, etc). Not too bad but bad enough that you can smell it and bad enough for it to drip down from the exhuast. It could cause more problems later on. I was just wondering what the price range was so I can compare to what I was offered. A shop that I trust is going to charge me $170 for labor and parts. Just wondering...

kudd
10-24-2002, 11:11 AM
My old pan was starting to leak and it looked like it'd be a real suck pill to change. I'd say $170 for labor and new pan is a good deal.

ssophab
10-25-2002, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the help!

Dutchboy
10-25-2002, 08:00 AM
or get a 20$ seal and do it yourself.....but then you got to know how to do it right the first time so you dont have to remove it again....it would take a few hours by yourself...
i guess 170 wouldnt be too bad....the shop should be able to do it quicker on a hoist.

Grant2k
10-25-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Dutchboy
huh? the bolt is leaking?
or is it the pan itself?

did you put a seal on the bolt? there should be a little plastic or some sort of washer type seal that you can buy at the nearst parts store that needs to be on the bolt to seal it.
just get a seal for it first....there probably like 1$ rather than pay a shop to replace the whole pan

otherwise all you have to do is replace the pan gasket....

BEn

if the area around where the plug goes in is bent up enough than a new plug gasket won't be enough. but yeah, i thing it sounds like the pan gasket.

ssophab
10-25-2002, 11:16 AM
Actually, I'm afraid of the pipe inside. I'm afraid to break it when I put the pan back. Plus, the people that I trust said they can do it this weekend so I can have the car back on sunday....

Mike89Accordcom
10-25-2002, 11:45 AM
Mine went bad a few years back, cost me few hun to fix it. It sucked.