PDA

View Full Version : How to remove metal strip/panel above rear bumper molding?

derolph
01-05-2013, 04:27 PM
I want to remove it to repair some rust on it and paint it. Can I get it off by removing the two taillight assemblies and losening retainer nuts? Since the panel spans the full width, are there other fastener points between the taillight assemblies? If so, then I guess I will need to remove the inner cover panel that is located between the inner cover panels that cover the taillight assemblies. Is that correct?

See attached photo.

charliekuney
01-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Honestly, you can do it without removing the outer tail light housings, but I would do it if it's your first time so you do not damage them (I made this mistake). Each housing has four 8 or 10mm bolts, then the rear-most part of the trunk liner has to come out, then there are bolts for the metal strip. I think they're 10mm. You might need a long extension. There are either four or five bolts (the fifth being in the center) but you just unbolt it and it slides straight out towards the rear of the car.

Hope this helps.

import racer
01-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Is this a coupe ,If so I think there is screws inside behind the plastic cover.

derolph
01-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks, guys. Yes, it's a coupe. I gather what import racer means by "plastic cover" is the same thing that Charlie called "rear-most part of the trunk liner". In other words, it's the plastic cover that spans the width of the trunk at the rear, above the floor panel that covers the spare tire area. So, I believe I have the info I need. Thanks again.

import racer
01-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Hey no problem!

derolph
01-17-2013, 01:23 PM
The small plastic fasteners that hold the center panel in the trunk are hard to get off. Brute force seems to be the only way to get them off. And, pulling them off can even bend the metal around the hole where they fasten. Is there a better way to remove them?
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/farmpond/Automotive/fastener2_zpsbaddf96d.jpg

charliekuney
01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Fastener remover? I have one. It looks like a deformed hammer (the back side the pulls nails).

I've never had a problem with them, nor have I damaged them upon removal.

derolph
01-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Fastener remover? I have one. It looks like a deformed hammer (the back side the pulls nails).
Is that fastener remover you have specifically designed for this purpose, or you talking about a tool designed for some other use, such as a nail puller?

I've never had a problem with them, nor have I damaged them upon removal.OK, so, what is your technique? I see no other way to remove them than to use enough force to pull them out. Am I missing something?

charliekuney
01-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Fastener remover specifically designed for removing plastic screw plugs.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/313-2oUHgpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

derolph
01-19-2013, 04:24 PM
OK, thanks. I'm going to search for a seller of them.