PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Accord LXi - My first Honda.

thomson85
01-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Hello from Hemet, CA. I recently got an' 89 Accord LXi, auto trans, 187k. The trans slips but generally will stop if I floor it and let it get to about 6k RPM's. I'm going to check the accelerator cable to the trans after I replace the atf. and possibly throw in some transX.

This is my first Honda, I'm freshly coming over from the classic VW scene. I've had my Baja bug for 3 years and built it from a rolling chassis up. Giving up one addiction for a new one. I'll miss it when it's gone. but I have this Accord to play with now.

I was a diesel mechanic for 3 years in the army and have taken classes at the local college. lol. I'll get a dealership job once my GI bill expires. My point is I am fairly knowledgeable, and have experience. I love fabricating.

My plans for this white knight is to build a custom front and rear fiberglass bumpers, throw on an aftermarket exhaust, and put a hood scoop from a WRX on it.

I will upload pictures soon. but am limited on time and am using my phone right now.

Car was my wife's grandpa's, he passed away and I got it. already replaced the fuel pump and cleaned off the fuel gauge sending unit to get it working. cars completely stock right now. white exterior, maroon interior. interior is in excellent condition.

As soon as this auto trans finally goes out, I'll be doing a trans swap to 5-speed, I just feel for a 2.0L that the auto trans is holding its balls hostage.

pics soon. Glad I found this site!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/thomsonluvsu/CAM00218.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/thomsonluvsu/CAM00027.jpg

The 2nd pic is when I first got it, I had to inspect everything as it had been sitting for 2+ years!

thomson85
01-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Just to show where I'm coming from here is my 1969 Baja bug that I've built the past 3 years.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/thomsonluvsu/CAM00230.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/thomsonluvsu/IMG_20121012_012154.jpg

2oodoor
01-09-2013, 03:45 AM
Welcome to the forum! I'm a big air cooled fan so I need to ask what did you do to the bug, looks like a stock carb but it sits kinda low maybe not.
I have wrx looking scoop in a box but I don't think Im going to use it. I need to actually cut out some of my hood for clearance so Im still hoping to run across a larger cobra jet scoop.
Sounds like you're stoked about your new toy, that's awesome!

thomson85
01-09-2013, 12:12 PM
it's a stock 30pict1 carb with a short stack air filter.

And yes, I'm excited to see this Accord take shape. thanks.

derolph
01-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Hello from Hemet, CA. I recently got an' 89 Accord LXi, auto trans, 187k. The trans slips but generally will stop if I floor it and let it get to about 6k RPM's. If my transmission were slipping, I think the last thing I would do is "floor it and let it get to about 6k RPM's." Do you think that's somehow going to make the transmission remedy the slipping problem itself or what? In other words, I believe you're doing more harm than good; you're just causing further deterioration in the transmission.

thomson85
01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
If my transmission were slipping, I think the last thing I would do is "floor it and let it get to about 6k RPM's." Do you think that's somehow going to make the transmission remedy the slipping problem itself or what? In other words, I believe you're doing more harm than good; you're just causing further deterioration in the transmission.

well, when it won't shift out of first gear, if I floor it it will shift at around 5-6k. this only happens rarely and when I does once I don't this it shifts the rest of the day.

But another concern is no matter how hard I push the gas peddle it shifts through every gear at between 2500-3000RPM.

Dr_Snooz
01-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Welcome from Fresno! Fabricators are most welcome here. The car looks like fun. Keep us posted on your progress with lots of pics. Sounds like you've already figured it out, but the throttle to transmission cable is one of the first things to check when shifting is screwy. There is a Honda manual for download over at the wiki:Honda service manuals - The 3geez Wiki (http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/Honda_service_manuals). The 89 USDM manual is a valuable resource and will show how to adjust the throttle cable properly.

thomson85
01-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks Dr. snooze. I will be sure to download that manual, I appreciate that very much. I'll be sure to check the throttle cable to the transmission first. But I know the ATF is due to be changed. Dark in color, I'm sure my wife's grandpa hasn't changed it in some time. I'll be sure to post lots of pictures, especially if I do any fab work. lol.

thomson85
01-09-2013, 07:16 PM
I have wrx looking scoop in a box but I don't think Im going to use it. I need to actually cut out some of my hood for clearance so Im still hoping to run across a larger cobra jet scoop.

I've just always liked the look of the WRX scoop. I haven't purchased one yet, but I've seen them on CL for as low as $30. Still not sure if I am sticking with the stock intake or using a short ram or CAI. I doubt I will do a CAI, more likely a short ram. But then again, paper filter is better protection. If you throw a cobra jet scoop on yours, I would love to see any pics of that.

thomson85
01-11-2013, 07:13 AM
I need a reference. I have fuel injection with an auto transmission (LXi). Can anyone tell me where my RPM's should be when doing 70MPH? Currently when doing 70MPH my RPM is at 3k.

derolph
01-11-2013, 07:30 AM
I need a reference. I have fuel injection with an auto transmission (LXi). Can anyone tell me where my RPM's should be when doing 70MPH? Currently when doing 70MPH my RPM is at 3k.I can't recall at the moment exactly what RPM my 88 LX-i (manual transmission) runs at 70 MPH but I believe it is slightly less than 3K.

obdriver6
01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Welcome!

Dr_Snooz
01-14-2013, 08:36 PM
3k is about right. Why are you asking?

thomson85
01-17-2013, 12:07 PM
just making sure I'm within specs.

thomson85
01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
I've just been taking care of emission related issues in order to get it to pass smog. But I was curious as to why older post in certain sections no longer have any pictures? Are they so old that the image hosts no longer carry the image? Makes reading tutorials on mods a bit frustrating. Thanks.

Dr_Snooz
01-31-2013, 07:47 PM
I've just been taking care of emission related issues in order to get it to pass smog. But I was curious as to why older post in certain sections no longer have any pictures? Are they so old that the image hosts no longer carry the image? Makes reading tutorials on mods a bit frustrating. Thanks.

That usually happens because the original poster has taken the images down from their host. We are working on storing How-To images locally, but that's an ongoing project.

thomson85
02-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. I figured it was an image hosting issue. It just gets frustrating finding a really good article, even if old, that no longer has the accompanied pictures.

thomson85
02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
My baby passed smog today, so now I can begin the work. This weekend I have to go take an ASE test, so I hope I can work in the time to do a trans flush. I'm going to clear out the trans fluid using super tech Wal-Mart ATF. After doing 2-3 quick changes to get the old ATF out, I will then move over to cycling Honda ATF 2 times to switch over to OEM fluid. I will also be adding some trans conditioner, either TransX (most likely) or Bars Trans Fix. I will also be doing a oil change. I also have a hood scoop, as seen in one of the pictures I posted. That picture just has the scoop sitting on it, it's not mounted. But I will be mounting it, but the hole will be somewhat conservative in order to upgrade to a WRX scoop later (if I desire). I will also be adding on an exhaust that I picked up from my ex-brother-in-law. I'm not sure off the top of my head what brand it is, but it's a typical tuner exhaust. He had it on his '92 Celica, and it sounded nice, deep, not that annoying high pitched crap. Took it off his hands for $15 since he had already swapped it out for a new one. I do want to throw on a short ram intake, but may wait a while for that. My CO levels were high on my smog results, indicating it is rich; so a short ram intake may lower the CO levels.

Dr_Snooz
02-08-2013, 04:07 PM
I bet you'll get better CO results with careful maintenance and top quality fluids. Typically old, dirty, neglected engines get high CO numbers.

I've always wondered if you could flush the trans by pulling the coolant hoses that run to the radiator. Put one hose in clean fluid and the other to expel dirty fluid. I never worked up the nerve to try it. If the dirty fluid comes out at 40psi, it's going to make quite a mess and I didn't want to have to clean that up.

thomson85
02-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Drained the ATF today, put a bottle of TransX and a little under 3 quarts of SuperTech ATF. And BOY what a difference. Smooth shifts and I can actually downshift now. Also I welded up my aftermarket exhaust. I love progress.

I plan to put about 300 miles on it, then ill drain the ATF again. But after today, I am very happy with the results.

thomson85
02-10-2013, 01:58 PM
So, I go and hop into my car today... and it won't shift. Wouldn't you know it? But it can take about 100 miles before the TransX works. So, I will drive it around for a while and see what happens. I may have to just drain it again here real soon and add some more ATF conditioner like transX. :|

thomson85
02-10-2013, 02:00 PM
I bet you'll get better CO results with careful maintenance and top quality fluids. Typically old, dirty, neglected engines get high CO numbers.

I've always wondered if you could flush the trans by pulling the coolant hoses that run to the radiator. Put one hose in clean fluid and the other to expel dirty fluid. I never worked up the nerve to try it. If the dirty fluid comes out at 40psi, it's going to make quite a mess and I didn't want to have to clean that up.

I agree, regular maintenance is key. Top quality fluids will keep a vehicle running at its best. However, if financial reasons restrict the use of such fluids, it is better to change using lower quality fluids, than to keep running old dirty fluids.

LOL... I am not sure that would be the best way to go about changing ATF, but I bet it would be fun to watch.

Dr_Snooz
02-12-2013, 07:27 PM
So, I go and hop into my car today... and it won't shift. Wouldn't you know it? But it can take about 100 miles before the TransX works. So, I will drive it around for a while and see what happens. I may have to just drain it again here real soon and add some more ATF conditioner like transX. :|

I'll bet it's already on YouTube.

thomson85
02-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Well life has gotten in the way, and I have not completed the basic things that I wanted to get done on my Honda. My transmission still slips, but not as bad as before. Usually only happens in the morning when I first start it up (cold start). When this happens, it will not shift out of 1st gear. However, if I put the gear selector in 2nd, and get it up to about 45-50 mph, the shift up to D3 or D4, then it will shift and then I will no longer have a problem for the rest of the day. The shifts are smoother since I changed the ATF and added some TransX. I need to drain again (2 more times) and hopefully the issue will start resolving itself in time with the transmission conditioner. If not then I will be looking at replacing it or swapping it out with a manual transmission.

2oodoor
02-22-2013, 03:27 PM
If you can make it shift by moving the gas pedal then its most definatly the tv cable adjustment. That means either letting off and then gassing it or mashing it down slightly.

Dr_Snooz
02-22-2013, 08:13 PM
I would guess there is some damage in the valve body. Throw it out and swap to MT.

thomson85
02-28-2013, 08:00 AM
I plan to do a MT swap when finances permit. Until then, I will have to deal with what I have. I did figure out when it slips and doesnt want to shift out of 1st gear, I simply drop it to 2 low and then once the RPM's are around 4k I bump it to D3, then around 3.5k bump into D4. This only occurs once a day, and after doing this its fine. Also, it doesnt like to downshift by pressing the pedal to the floor. I instead manually downshift if needed from D4 to D3 if I need passing power.

thomson85
12-14-2013, 06:21 PM
It's been a while since I have posted on the forums, although I have tried to stay active on the Facebook side of 3Geez. I was rear ended by a motorcycle about a month ago. I had to decide if I should keep my car or not. I decided to keep it. I have to replace the exhaust from the catalytic converter back, and also replace the passenger side tail light assembly, as well as it's surrounding metal. I'm also going to take the time to show my car some love. I plan to change the water pump and timing belt, valve cover gasket (going to paint the valve cover anyway), oil pan gasket, ATF flush, alarm with keyless entry, along with some other mods.

For the ATF flush, I will be using the oh-so-cheap Super Tech ATF Dexron III. I know.... DW1. But when Super Tech costs $12 a gallon, it's the only viable option that I see. I did an ATF change about 3 months ago, with little to no change in my transmissions irrattic and annoying behavior. So I am going to change it again (probably in the morning) and then drive it until Tuesday, and hopefully I will change it again, this time adding in Lucas Trans Fix. If I notice a difference, some what of a fix, I will then pay the $99.95 for Honda to do a flush with DW-1. I would do it myself. But when the fluid alone would cost me $87.... what's the point?

I'm also planning to get new struts, 2 1/4" drop coils, tinted windows, and maybe rims/tires. I'm also hoping to also convert over to LED exterior lights.

thomson85
12-15-2013, 12:18 PM
So some good news. I changed my ATF again today (this is the 2nd time). I once again used SuperTech cheap-o Wal-Mart Dexron ATF. But I added a whole bottle of Lucas Trans first, then topped off with the ATF. At first, no noticeable difference. Shut off the car for about 10 minutes, to let it chill out. Then got back in, and OMG. It's NEVER shifted like that before... I mean it will down shift, up shift, no problem. It's amazing. Before I get my hopes up, I will let it sit for about 4 hours and then take it out again to reconfirm. I hope this turns into a $25 fix. If it is, I'll wait about a month or two, then I'll go to Honda for a full flush with DW-1. Beats $155 for a trans from the parts yard.