PDA

View Full Version : 1.5" drop progressive springs

smufguy
10-23-2002, 09:11 PM
i wanna know what decent springs are for the 1.5" lowering. i dont want linear, but i want progressive. What is the best.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-23-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
i wanna know what decent springs are for the 1.5" lowering. i dont want linear, but i want progressive. What is the best.

The H&R/Neuspeeds, hand's down. Both the front and rears are progressive. When combined with Koni's they will give a nice firm sporty ride that only some one who's heading for the track, might want more stiffness from. I do not recommend the sportlines because of their tunning. They are incredibly weak in the rear and will cause your car to understeer more, which it likely already does enough of. Check or this post to see the numbers for yourself. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7856
Plus I'm positive that the sportlines are linear in the front, I know the rears are progressive.

Since you mention progressive I won't even mention something with a stiffer spring rate. And DO NOT fall for the arguement that you can get away with softer struts by making sure you have progressive springs. My H&R's were, and their the softest lowering spring made for our cars. The perfect recipe for a argument that they should work with a sturt other than the Koni's. Well they didn't, Not with the Bilsteins or as carrotman will point out, not with the tokico's either. And I know for a fact that the Bilsteins are 15% stiffer than stock, even that wasn't enough.
When I went to the Koni's, the car rode and drove so much nicer, just like honda themselves tuned it from the factory that way.

smufguy
10-24-2002, 10:00 AM
okay, i am sooo lost Jim :help:. What kinda spring do u recommend for a Tokiko shocks on all 4s (i bought it used as u know) . i am daily commuter and i aint gonna race anyone. i just dont want the car to dip (roll) too much in turns and be a lil stiff. I would probably be getting Konis in the future. but as far as right now with the stock ones totally shot and no money to spend on brand new ones, i just bought used Tokikos because of no other way.

With a much more clear detail, tel me which one are deal for the money. Thanks man. and yeah, i dont wanna spend like 300 bucks on springs either. thanks anyways.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-24-2002, 10:34 AM
okay, i am sooo lost Jim :help:. What kinda spring do u recommend for a Tokiko shocks on all 4s (i bought it used as u know) . i am daily commuter and i aint gonna race anyone. i just dont want the car to dip (roll) too much in turns and be a lil stiff. I would probably be getting Konis in the future. but as far as right now with the stock ones totally shot and no money to spend on brand new ones, i just bought used Tokikos because of no other way.

With a much more clear detail, tel me which one are deal for the money. Thanks man. and yeah, i dont wanna spend like 300 bucks on springs either. thanks anyways.

Ok, now I get where your comming from. I forgot that you'd picked up those used tokico's. Get the H&R's or neuspeeds. They are the softest lowering spring you can get and will give you the least amount of grief with your struts. I do wanna point out that it wasn't a desire to race around corners that made me hate my Bilsteins. I got ride of them because of how the car rode and drove in a strait line. Compound that fact with the commute I had, 100 miles a day round trip. Even with the Bilsteins on, the car was still fun to corner with, it's just that the Koni's improved things so much in the ride and drive and made the car much more responsive in the corners. And bumps during corners mattered much less.

Side note: When you install the springs because they are shorter than factory you will not have to use a spring compressor to install the front Koni's when you get around to that. Make's thing much easier.

smufguy
10-24-2002, 12:55 PM
thanks man. Ur a suspension God. :D so when i get into putting konis, do i have to change the rear too or can i just let it be just tokikos in the back and get just nrew konis in the front? and do i need to get new springs or can i just use the existing coils with the koins?

Jims 86LXI HB
10-24-2002, 01:36 PM
thanks man. Ur a suspension God. :D so when i get into putting konis, do i have to change the rear too or can i just let it be just tokikos in the back and get just nrew konis in the front? and do i need to get new springs or can i just use the existing coils with the koins?

Gee um thanks, hey really I'm just a guy that really cares about making informed decisions. I would not have wasted my money if someone could have spoken up and told me better, but who knew, oh well.

I think you can get away with keeping the tokico's in the rear. Bobafett has the H&R's with koni's in the front and tokico's in the rear. You can pm him and ask him how they work that way, I'm sure he'll talk about it. Basically all you'd do is pull the front tokico struts and slap the koni's in their place,nothing else(no new coils).

smufguy
10-24-2002, 06:32 PM
wow thats awsome. thanks jim. I am gonna talk to my friend and see if i can get a discount on the springs. thanks a lot Jim. :D

Jims 86LXI HB
10-24-2002, 09:43 PM
Oh yeah I forgot to tell ya, you can order the H&R springs from www.optauto.com for $149

And here's a groupbuy link for $130

http://groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=7035

And here's a expired ebay link for $128, hey may have a new ebay add out to replace this one, so check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1869667656

smufguy
10-26-2002, 10:16 AM
thanks again man. :D