PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem on my 89 Accord

cbolyard
01-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Noticed this morning on my way to work that occasionally while driving, when I touch the brake pedal the headlights would dim and the heater fan would slow down, as soon as I accelerated again everything would go back to normal. The "brake" light in the dash has been on for some time as well. Just curious where I should start looking for problems.

Legend_master
01-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Possibly an alternator issue. That somewhere I would start, definitely have the battery checked as well.

EbidaDragon
01-15-2013, 01:53 PM
I would also suggest checking your Parking/Emergency Brake if the light is continuously on

Rendon LX-i
01-15-2013, 04:03 PM
brake light always on it the fluid beening low. look at that or the wiring that connects the sensor.

cbolyard
01-15-2013, 04:10 PM
I would also suggest checking your Parking/Emergency Brake if the light is continuously on

I have checked the E-brake, it is fully released and when I pull it, the light becomes brighter.

brake light always on it the fluid beening low. look at that or the wiring that connects the sensor.

Excellent advice, I will check that. Thanks!

POS carb
01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
This could be a couple of things...
If you press your brakes and the engine idle speed drops very low then it is most likely related to a idle mixture/vacuum leak issue
If the idle speed stays about the same and everything dims/slows down then you either have a short in the brake light wiring, weak alt, or a grounding issue

Accord/Viger Ca5
01-17-2013, 10:16 AM
My break light stayed on to I messed with sensor it went away my car to has the dimming affect as I call it check your battery's acid and water levels

cbolyard
01-17-2013, 02:11 PM
This could be a couple of things...
If you press your brakes and the engine idle speed drops very low then it is most likely related to a idle mixture/vacuum leak issue
If the idle speed stays about the same and everything dims/slows down then you either have a short in the brake light wiring, weak alt, or a grounding issue

The car does have other wiring issues so a short in the brake light wiring wouldn't surprise me. The blinkers don't work either, and the PO replaced the flasher but it didn't fix the problem. Idle speed doesn't seem to change when the brakes are pressed, just the heater fan slows down and the headlights dim slightly. I only notice it when the heater fan is on Hi... but that might be because it's harder to hear over the stereo in lower settings. The car does idle goofy when its cold, it will bring idle speed up to 2k rpm or more and sometimes tapping the throttle will make it drop to a normal idle speed. This is the carbed LX version, FYI.

On edit- it just occured to me that once in a while, when trying to start the car it will crank a few times, then struggle to crank for a revolution or two and crank over just fine again. I have no idea how old the battery is so there is a chance that it's starting to go out on me... which would be perfect since I've replaced 2 batteries in 2 other rigs I own in the last month!

gyates93
01-25-2013, 05:14 AM
My '89 LX does the exact same thing on real cold nights, but my battery is on its last legs I believe. It was put in the car in 2004 and failed a test when Honda inspected it last year. It's still starting the car fine, but I worry that I am putting undue stress on my (New) alternator, so I'm going to replace the battery when time and money permits.

I also notice blue corrosion on my positive battery terminal, which returns after being wiped off.