PDA

View Full Version : Yo No Lights in the back

TigaMan10
10-24-2002, 06:46 AM
I am new to this so bear with me if i don't know what i am doing. I drive a 86 LXI and When i turn on the head lights the parking lights don't come on. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is and i will aprecate it if any one can help me out with it. Its the parking light. so when i put my foot on the breaks the break light come on. Halla
TigaMan

markmdz89hatch
10-24-2002, 06:48 AM
so are you saying that when you press on the brakes, the brake lights DO come on, but with just the headlights on, you get no taillights?

TigaMan10
10-24-2002, 06:50 AM
Yea exactly

markmdz89hatch
10-24-2002, 06:54 AM
Check ur fuses, and ur bulbs. That sounds kinda peculiar only b/c the bulb for taillights is the same bulb for brake lights, each bulb has 2 fillaments in them, 1 for braking, 1 for tails. Make sure ur using the right bulbs, then, as I mentioned before, check both fuse panels, the one under the change tray on the left of ur dash, and the one under the hood. Sorry, I don't know remember the fuse block nums. right now.

markmdz89hatch
10-24-2002, 06:54 AM
if it's not that, it's either ur switch, or ur wires, and both are gonna suck if it comes down to that.

TigaMan10
10-24-2002, 06:57 AM
I checked the fueses, they are alright. I think you might be right about the bulb thing. I will check those out. I sure hope it ain't the switch or the wires though.

markmdz89hatch
10-24-2002, 07:05 AM
Question: Is the little BRAKE LAMP dummy light on on your instrument cluster?

RobT5580
10-24-2002, 09:08 AM
If its the same problem i had that someone here helped me with then it would be your illumination wire for your stereo. I for some reason didnt cap it and it grounded out. Only the parking lights/cluster lights didnt work. If you have replaced your stereo then i would say that is what it is. If you check you fuse and its blown replace it and turn on the parking lights you should hear the chime for 1sec then the fuse pop.

SiR
10-24-2002, 12:09 PM
The fuse number is 14A under the dash.

Rooz

TigaMan10
10-24-2002, 01:53 PM
Yo you might be right, i don't have a radio in my car right now. and the dash lights don't work either. i did'nt think that was a major problem compared to the parking light. sence that happened to your car, how did you get it fixed.
tigaman

TigaMan10
10-24-2002, 01:55 PM
Alll the fueses are alright

RobT5580
10-24-2002, 06:28 PM
I send you an email but i had the same problem and thans to this message board i saved a lot of time and stress. Thanks again to the few people who helped me before. My problem was that i had done a lot of modifications to the car so i didnt know where to start with the problem. I do have electrical experience but shorts in cars can be a pain and i wouldnt have thought of this for awhile because i never thought the stereo was tied to the parking lights.

catalin
10-25-2002, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by RobT5580
If its the same problem i had that someone here helped me with then it would be your illumination wire for your stereo. I for some reason didnt cap it and it grounded out. Only the parking lights/cluster lights didnt work. If you have replaced your stereo then i would say that is what it is. If you check you fuse and its blown replace it and turn on the parking lights you should hear the chime for 1sec then the fuse pop.

This is most likely the problem. :beer:

catalin
10-25-2002, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by TigaMan10
Alll the fueses are alright

How are you checking your fuses?? Meter or test light hopefully... Have you checked the fuses under the hood too?? It's most likely your illumination circuit behind the deck that's shorting out. It's a red/black wire.

TigaMan10
10-26-2002, 08:27 PM
Thank you for all your help, i am going to get it checked out tomorrow by my mechanic, the man that owned the car before had alot of lights and thing. someof them made the lights blink to the beat of the music. i think he spliced the wires and did not put them back the way they belong so i will fix it tomorrow
tigaman

TigaMan10
10-26-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by catalin

How are you checking your fuses?? Meter or test light hopefully... Have you checked the fuses under the hood too?? It's most likely your illumination circuit behind the deck that's shorting out. It's a red/black wire.

I used the test light