PDA

View Full Version : 87 lx-i help

hnda2nv
01-16-2013, 03:39 PM
i have an 87 accord lx-i that intermitantly dies after it has been running for a few minutes. Sometimes it will run for up to 10 minutes before dying sometimes just a couple minutes. When it dies it is like i turned the key off, usually it starts right back up. i am hoping somebody has experienced this and might know the fix. Also when it dies something in the vacuum control box will click like crazy. please help!

It is the orange vacuum switch in the control box that is clicking. Also I have to cycle the before it will start. I ckecked for spark before cycling the key and there is spark. Fuel? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dr_Snooz
01-16-2013, 08:50 PM
What's clicking?

Legend_master
01-16-2013, 09:15 PM
May take a look at the ignition switch, sounds like it might be failing.

hnda2nv
01-16-2013, 09:37 PM
I can't really tell what is clicking in the box. I haven't been able to pin point it.

As for the ignition switch....that crossed my mind too. I know my 95 had that problem. But the symptoms weren't 100% the same. Of course neither are the cars. :)

thanks for help guys!

hnda2nv
02-10-2013, 11:09 AM
bump for update

Legend_master
02-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Have you tried replacing the switch yet?

hnda2nv
02-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Have you tried replacing the switch yet?

No i haven't. Main reason is I checked to see if any power leaving the switch was pulsating and it wasn't also it looks like it has been recently replaced.

Legend_master
02-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Have you taken the main fuel pump relay out, and inspect the solder on the bottom?

hnda2nv
02-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Have you taken the main fuel pump relay out, and inspect the solder on the bottom?

That I have done, I just went ahead and resoldered all of them just to be certain.

Legend_master
02-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Can you take a picture of what is clicking in the vacuum box, or try replacing it. I don't know of anything that is suppose to click. Its possible you have a short in there, or a short going to it. It also sounds like you might have an issue with your fuel pump, but I would eliminate the clicking item first.

hnda2nv
02-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Can you take a picture of what is clicking in the vacuum box, or try replacing it. I don't know of anything that is suppose to click. Its possible you have a short in there, or a short going to it. It also sounds like you might have an issue with your fuel pump, but I would eliminate the clicking item first.

also noticed it only does it until it is completely warmed up then it runs just fine

Legend_master
02-10-2013, 07:48 PM
In the shop manual that is the bypass control solenoid. It is part of the intake system that allows for low end TQ by opening and closing butterflies in the manifold. I don't think that is directly the problem tho, the opening and closing is determined by the ecu after receiving a signal from TDC/crank angle sensor. Sound like you may be having a problem with the TDC sensor, but that is just a guess. Download the shop manual and follow the procedures for trouble-shooting the bypass control system.

hnda2nv
02-10-2013, 07:57 PM
I definately will do it. Thank you sooo much!

Dr_Snooz
02-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Are you getting a check engine light on the dash?

hnda2nv
03-19-2013, 09:00 PM
No check engine light. I have also been battling the typical fluctuating idle. I have found if I pinch vac hose number 21 (to map sensor) it smooths out. Maybe bad map sensor?

hnda2nv
03-19-2013, 09:01 PM
No check engine light. I have also been battling the typical fluctuating idle. I have found if I pinch vac hose number 21 (to map sensor) it smooths out. Maybe bad map sensor?

Dr_Snooz
03-20-2013, 07:12 PM
I can't make heads or tails of your pic and the issue has me flummoxed anyway. You might try to replace the clicking part with a junkyard replacement to see what happens.