PDA

View Full Version : Emergency please read bottomed out now car wont start

ronniman
01-16-2013, 09:47 PM
I want to start by saying I've searched and searched buy cannot find a similar situation I bottumed out tonight leaving a drive though going very slow almost felt like my whole exhaust ripped off or something luckily that wasn't the case about 10 feet layer car stalled I was able to start it right back up and drive to the nearest parking lot to inspect couldn't see anything I thought maybe i let off the clutch and didn't realize however as I was leaving and back on the road was about to turn at the first light then car died and hasn't turned on since I've checked as much as I could givin the light and conditions found no lose connections didn't appear to see any damage under the car checked the oil pan etc... The car won't even crank and also all power is low windows barely roll up alarm almost couldn't lock the doors I had to leave the car in a parking lot hence the urgency as I have Noone with a truck or car to help me tow it home I had the taxi driver try and jump Mr ( lol how pissed would he have been of out worked haha ) the car did actually try and start but just would not turn over but it was cranking and trying which is more than it even attempted without the jump again the car wouldn't even try all I heard was a clicking until I tried the jump any thought or ideas maybe questions I could answer to help clear up anything left out I will mention yesterday I replaced all spark plugs and wires dizzy cap and rotter blade and was running fine so I'm sure it's not the sparks or anything like that please give any input of value as its my only cat and I'm freaking out about work now to. ..Thanks everyone in advance hopefully this will help someone in the future till then ill keep searching!

Legend_master
01-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Did you check to make sure the battery leads are secure?

ronniman
01-17-2013, 05:33 AM
Yes I could not even move them at all there were so tight I made sure all the plugs and wires were secure as well like I said it cranks when being jumped just won't catch. Anyone know of our cars have a fuel cut off switch incase an accident I read on another forum Google found that they don't but it was a ford forum so idk if that's the most credible source as they don't have a 3gee just double checking to be safe I have found that the Carb ones do I believe but couldn't find much on FI ons

POS carb
01-17-2013, 07:03 AM
I don't think there is an inertia cutoff switch on this car but even if there was one scraping on a driveway won't trigger it it needs to be a hard hit i would check your battery out because you said the windows are slow i think that the driveway scrape and stall are just a coincidence i dont think they are related the only possibility i can think of is smashing your exhaust shut (but that wouldn't cause weak electrical) or you ripped out a wire under the car that shouldn't be there maybe a previous "mechanic" ran some bypass custom wiring for the alternator or the fuel pump by the way use punctuation it makes it a lot easier to understand your request good luck! :)

ronniman
01-17-2013, 11:40 AM
An update I went back to try and start it but it won't even make any nose or anything my dash lights barley come on can't even turn my radio on so I'm really hoping it's the batterieI'm waiting on a buddy to help me go get it tested but any other ideas would be much appreciated Thanks again, also Haha sorry I'm on my phone don't have Internet so stupid swype types a lot of errors was in an extreme hurry didn't have time to proof read

redneck
01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
check ground wires, elec plugs like the alt plug. make sure ya belts are on oil in it and your getting fuel

ronniman
01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Just got a new battery, Unfortunately that didn't help although my old battery definetly tested bad and needed to be replaced so thanks for that suggestion. Any other ideas I'll post a video of what is doing once I get it towed home.

Dr_Snooz
01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
What is the battery voltage?

ronniman
01-18-2013, 12:53 PM
Not sure off the top of my head but the battery is brand new got it free because it's still within the 1 year replacement however it's the same size as the one that was previously in it and it had no problems to now.

2oodoor
01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
sometimes the battery terminals get black gunky film on them that prevents good contact

ronniman
01-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Just thought i would share and get opinions a coworker suggested the ignitor might have gone out? However I was driving fine then all a sudden car died and wouldn't start I was thinking possibly the fuel pump as well? Maybe the bump finally have my pump is ending day? I read a thread on here about those ebay pumps but it appears the guy never left feed back anyone have experience with these? Was thinking I could get a cheap one to atleast test with before spening to much on a new one for that not too be the issue. Thoughts/ opinions

Dr_Snooz
01-18-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm having a hard time keeping track of what your symptoms are, but it sounds like you have a basic no-start situation. If it cranks over without difficulty, then check for fuel and spark.

ronniman
01-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Is there an easy way to test for fuel without a pressure gage or anything I really only have just basic tools, i read you can unplug the fuel line to the injectors and have someone turn the car on to see if fuel is making it through the line this might be a stupid question but ide rather ask than not be sure but what hose in our car would that be if anyone knows? also just replaced all spark plugs (ngk) wires ,dizzy cap so I'm sure it's getting spark. I'm pretty new to working on my own car so I don't know too much but I appreciate all the help sorry I havnt got the video up yet a bunch of stuff is going on out side my car right now so been dealing with all that to. ..

ronniman
01-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Ok so I'm actually able to hear the main relay click on, my pgmfi light comes on and I hear the humming of the pump but after about 3 second it stops (the humming that is and also the light goes off) does that mean I can eliminate the pump?

Hauntd ca3
01-19-2013, 05:02 PM
on top of the fuel filter, there is a bolt that you can crack to check if there is pressure.
turn the ignition on until the pump stops and then crack the bolt on he filter, if yu get a good squirt of fuel, you should be fine.
you can also take the return line off the fpr and see if you have fuel.

2oodoor
01-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Did you replace the coil wire with that wire set ?

ronniman
01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
on top of the fuel filter, there is a bolt that you can crack to check if there is pressure.
turn the ignition on until the pump stops and then crack the bolt on he filter, if yu get a good squirt of fuel, you should be fine.
you can also take the return line off the fpr and see if you have fuel.

Cool I appreciate that before I try it I did try to unplug the fuel hose from the fuel filter (the end that goes to the fuel rail not the end connected to the filter) but it would not come off so I had my fiance turn the key to turn the pump on and I felt the line get super stiff so I'm thinking that means fuel but I will try your idea as well. And sorry to ask a dumb question again I'm new to all this but which line would be considered the return line on the fpr I'm assuming the only hose going into it? Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing as the fpr?

Did you replace the coil wire with that wire set ?

And yes I did all wires including cap the car was running better than it ever has until this incident. Just throwing ideas out but if I hit my cat could that cuase it to not start? I heard it would probably run crappy but should still atleast start.

*Edit*

I checked to see if my obd was going to show any codes however with the car on ll I got not led flashes or anything is that normal or should it atleast do something when power is on?

2oodoor
01-19-2013, 06:42 PM
If exhaust were COmPLETLY blocked like a bent pipe or cat chunks in it then yes but it would sound like it wants to run.
If the floorboard got bent under the driver seat( long shot) the ecu could be damaged but its screwed in 9 ways to Texas but worth looking under the car.
What actually made contact on the bottoming out incident? I would still check the main relay and ecu fuses.

Hauntd ca3
01-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Cool I appreciate that before I try it I did try to unplug the fuel hose from the fuel filter (the end that goes to the fuel rail not the end connected to the filter) but it would not come off so I had my fiance turn the key to turn the pump on and I felt the line get super stiff so I'm thinking that means fuel but I will try your idea as well. And sorry to ask a dumb question again I'm new to all this but which line would be considered the return line on the fpr I'm assuming the only hose going into it? Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing as the fpr?

the line from the filter to the fuel rail is the supply side and the return is the other end of the rail. it will have a wee can with a diaphram in it and a vacum line attached

And yes I did all wires including cap the car was running better than it ever has until this incident. Just throwing ideas out but if I hit my cat could that cuase it to not start? I heard it would probably run crappy but should still atleast start.

*Edit*

I checked to see if my obd was going to show any codes however with the car on ll I got not led flashes or anything is that normal or should it atleast do something when power is on?

ronniman
01-20-2013, 10:32 AM
If exhaust were COmPLETLY blocked like a bent pipe or cat chunks in it then yes but it would sound like it wants to run.
If the floorboard got bent under the driver seat( long shot) the ecu could be damaged but its screwed in 9 ways to Texas but worth looking under the car.
What actually made contact on the bottoming out incident? I would still check the main relay and ecu fuses.

Honestly I can't even tell what hit as there doesn't appear to be any damage that's noticeable outside your normal exhaust scrapes but not bent tubing or anything

*edit*
I was finally able to actually Jack the car up to get a better veiw and I may or may not have found the issue honestly I'm not really sure but I took a video of what I saw of you want to take a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLoIt70ZZ0c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also looks like the clip busted and caused it to drop down this also may be the problem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLynpaMB88&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Can't view private videos.

ronniman
01-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Can't view private videos.

My bad fixed now

vteckiller
01-21-2013, 04:43 PM
that lil piece in the youtube video that was giggling around and you chuckled as you said i dunno what this is thats the lower transmission mount the skid/tow plate bolts to it and there is a lil mount that has 2 nuts sticking out the mount with bolts. then there is a bracket that mounts to the trans and the lil rubber mount basically slids into it. now it looks like you kinda hit the bottom part of the trans right at a bolt of all places.. and i wouldnt recommend the fuel filter thing cause those bolts have brass orings once broken lose you gotta put a new brass oring in it. that sound you are hearing is the main relay clicking on and purging the engine for start. it should click off after say 2-5secounds. check grounds, replace grounds. grounds even though are tight as hell still dont mean you have ground after rust etc etc they have no ground left. sand em all down etc etc. make sure that all fuses are good. and nothing got pull as it looks like the trans hit and could have lifted. pulling wires? just my 2 cents though.

Legend_master
01-21-2013, 05:16 PM
that lil piece in the youtube video that was giggling around and you chuckled as you said i dunno what this is thats the lower transmission mount the skid/tow plate bolts to it and there is a lil mount that has 2 nuts sticking out the mount with bolts. then there is a bracket that mounts to the trans and the lil rubber mount basically slids into it. now it looks like you kinda hit the bottom part of the trans right at a bolt of all places.. and i wouldnt recommend the fuel filter thing cause those bolts have brass orings once broken lose you gotta put a new brass oring in it. that sound you are hearing is the main relay clicking on and purging the engine for start. it should click off after say 2-5secounds. check grounds, replace grounds. grounds even though are tight as hell still dont mean you have ground after rust etc etc they have no ground left. sand em all down etc etc. make sure that all fuses are good. and nothing got pull as it looks like the trans hit and could have lifted. pulling wires? just my 2 cents though.

That all sounds good to me. I have a feeling the no start is just a coincidence tho.

ronniman
01-21-2013, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the input, also the laughing not cuase I think this is funny just cuase I'm like so lost just overwhelmed so like a laugh of *gosh I'm fucked* anyway so it looks like it busted to you? Any pics of what it should look like? I've checked the grounds, fuses etc.. The main relay does come on for a few seconds and I do hear the pump humming and can feel the fuel line tighten up. I tried starting the car by going to the ll position a couple of times then turned it off than back to ll etc and tried to crank it, the cat felt like it started up then instantly died of that helps at all. (Did this list night) havnt been able to duplicate the results again though I don't know if you saw it but did you watch the second video as well of my cat? Could that have anything to do with it possibly? Or should I rule that out?

That all sounds good to me. I have a feeling the no start is just a coincidence tho.

What else could you think of that would prevent the No start? I really appreciate all your guys feedback im New to all this and I've learned alot from this board just by reading other threads again much appreciated!

Legend_master
01-21-2013, 10:56 PM
If your worried about the cat being clogged you could disconnect it and try to start the car. You are either having a fuel, air or spark issue. Sounds like fuel is not the issues (unless it was bad fuel). Did you check to make sure there are any codes on the ECU? Inspect the distributor to make sure the vacuum lines are not broken.

Vanilla Sky
01-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Do you hear the fuel pump running as you crank the car? If not, you probably need to either fix or replace your main relay. I had one die on me after going through a washout. I resoldered it and it worked fine.

ronniman
01-22-2013, 07:47 AM
If your worried about the cat being clogged you could disconnect it and try to start the car. You are either having a fuel, air or spark issue. Sounds like fuel is not the issues (unless it was bad fuel). Did you check to make sure there are any codes on the ECU? Inspect the distributor to make sure the vacuum lines are not broken.

Ill have to give that a shot worse case its not the problem and I can move one, I did check ECU however no leds flashed at all idk if that's a good or bad thing... had the misses put the car on ll while I watched and nothing at all happened. I had just filled up the gas tank like 20 minutes prior to this event so I hope it's not bad fuel.

Do you hear the fuel pump running as you crank the car? If not, you probably need to either fix or replace your main relay. I had one die on me after going through a washout. I resoldered it and it worked fine.
It clicks on and I hear it for a few good Seconds and can feel fuel run through the lines however it's hard to tell if I can here it while cranking as its rather loud I will try having my girl start it while I listen at the tank and let you know.

Dr_Snooz
01-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Have you checked for spark yet?

thomson85
01-23-2013, 02:36 AM
I agree with dr. Snooz. Check your electrical. Since you stated that you replaced those components just prior to this issue, then most likely this 'bottoming out' issue just either knocked something loose. Also, you said you replaced the distributor. If its not seated all the way, this will cause a no-start condition. Either way, get a spark tester. They are only a few dollars at the parts store.

Also, please take the time to write properly. You have run on sentences, making it difficult to understand what you're saying. I know typing on a phone sucks. But I wrote all this on my phone. Don't use swipe if its an issue, i don't. A good example is you keep saying cat when I believe you mean car. Saying cat will make me believe you think the catalytic converter is bad. Put your hand over the exhaust, if you feel pressure while someone is cranking then that's not your issue. CHECK YOUR ELECTRICAL (IGNITION). Something you replaced right before this happened (as you stated) probably came loose or was not installed correctly (dizzy).

ronniman
01-23-2013, 06:16 AM
I agree with dr. Snooz. Check your electrical. Since you stated that you replaced those components just prior to this issue, then most likely this 'bottoming out' issue just either knocked something loose. Also, you said you replaced the distributor. If its not seated all the way, this will cause a no-start condition. Either way, get a spark tester. They are only a few dollars at the parts store.

Also, please take the time to write properly. You have run on sentences, making it difficult to understand what you're saying. I know typing on a phone sucks. But I wrote all this on my phone. Don't use swipe if its an issue, i don't. A good example is you keep saying cat when I believe you mean car. Saying cat will make me believe you think the catalytic converter is bad. Put your hand over the exhaust, if you feel pressure while someone is cranking then that's not your issue. CHECK YOUR ELECTRICAL (IGNITION). Something you replaced right before this happened (as you stated) probably came loose or was not installed correctly (dizzy).

Didn't have time to get to it yesterday but will look at it today also will look into the spark tester today as well as putting my hand over the exhaust. When I say cat I am indeed referring to the catalytic converter as it is dangling down (not sure if you watched the video). Also I did not replace the dizzy just the dizzy cap but Im sure the same logic applies. And on another note not sure if you saw but after the car first stalled/died I was able to start it up right away on first try drove for about 5 minutes and then just died and hasn't started since.

Vanilla Sky
01-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Your exhaust system appears to be missing a couple of hangers, so I'd replace those. That's why the cat is hanging as low as it is.

thomson85
01-23-2013, 11:34 PM
I didnt watch the video until now. Your whole exhaust system is hanging low, fix that. But i doubt that is the reason for your no-start condition. I wish your other video was more clear....

djriprock
02-08-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm confused after reading the thread. Is the starter actually trying to crank the motor or are you just hearing a click and the buzz of the fuel pump? If the engine is not even cranking at all, look at the connections to your starter. Those come straight off the battery and if you hit hard enough, I guess could have even caused a short and fried your battery. If the starter is actually cranking though and it's just not firing, then yeah, I'd say it's an electrical problem because it sounds like you have fuel.

ronniman
02-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Hey all just wanted to give an update sorry I've been away at first was fighting off bronchitis got over that started doing a crap ton of OT at work anyways none of that is relevant, well kinda...but yea, the problem as strange as it may seem was the distributor the bottoming out was just a bizarre coincidence as a specific member had suggested she's back up and running just wanted to thank everyone for your help/suggestions!

Dr_Snooz
02-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Glad you got it worked out.

NXRacer
02-13-2013, 08:30 PM
before I got to the end and saw it was back up and running I was going to suggest that your main relay went bad. Those ALWAYS go out at the weirdest times.

ronniman
02-15-2013, 10:12 AM
Glad you got it worked out.
Thanks man, and thanks for all your suggestions as well.

before I got to the end and saw it was back up and running I was going to suggest that your main relay went bad. Those ALWAYS go out at the weirdest times.

Ya that's what I kept coming across on other threads to so great feedback. Hopefully this will help others if they come across the same issue im just shocked that it happened right as a bottomed out strange coincidence.

Dr_Snooz
02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Do you know what went wrong with it?

NXRacer
02-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Ya that's what I kept coming across on other threads to so great feedback. Hopefully this will help others if they come across the same issue im just shocked that it happened right as a bottomed out strange coincidence.

I bet the sudden impact caused whatever flakey connection you had to finally give out. That's why I suspected the main relay. There are a couple solder points in them that are notorious for breaking and it could have become disconnected when your car bottomed out.